Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick, Healthy Eating on a Budget.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    couscous with whatever's lying around (for me, it's usually beans, a bell pepper, herbs, salt+pepper, a sprinkle of feta on top)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    I like simple vegetable soups:
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/09/s...liflower-soup/ I've probably posted this before, but it's beyond simple. You can do with broccoli or zucchini or cauliflower, add some bread and cheese, and you're done. It also freezes well as it's a purée.
    Yup, that goes along with my basic recipe for soup, which is 1 chopped onion, 400g of any vegetable, both roasted in olive oil, then 750ml chicken stock, boil for a while, blend with a hand blender.

I think Gordon Ramsay makes broccoli soup from only fresh broccoli, water and a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by Horatio; 10-13-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Type
    xxxx
    My riceprotip is to add steamed buckwheat to my steamed white rice - white rice is "unhealthy" because of its high glycemic index & buckwheat counteracts it.

I also freeze my rice, reheat it, then freeze it again, so it has more resistant starch.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    My riceprotip is to add steamed buckwheat to my steamed white rice - white rice is "unhealthy" because of its high glycemic index & buckwheat counteracts it.

I also freeze my rice, reheat it, then freeze it again, so it has more resistant starch.
    Also choose long-grain basmati for an index of about 58 (as opposed to 90+). Tastes best anyway, whether you douse it in turmeric or not.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Here's more fuel for the "Is Horatio gay?" fire. Had a visitor for breakfast this morning and no food in the house, so I had to do some quick baking with stuff that was lying around. Perhaps I'll manage to snap a picture later. Edit: Did manage.

Fairly healthy chocolate muffins with peanut butter filling
    (Makes 12 – 193 kcal, 7g protein)

Ingredients:
    2 large bananas
    200g non-fat Greek yoghurt
    70ml honey
    2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
    50g cocoa powder
    2 medium eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract

160g flour (wholewheat or spelt – spelt works great because of its nutty flavour)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt

90g peanut butter

Preheat oven to 180°C. Throw first paragraph of ingredients into blender, blend. In a bowl, mix dry ingredients, then add blended mixture to the flour mixture, mix swiftly with a fork but don't overmix. Spoon a tablespoon of muffin batter into each of the 12 muffin tins, add a teaspoon of peanut butter to each, top with more muffin batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. While muffins bake, get your arse in gear and clean up your kitchen so that you won't be having breakfast in filth.

Total time including baking and clean up: 30 minutes.

Visitor was impressed. She asked whether she could take home a few, which of course she could. I'm just going to freeze the rest as an insurance for future unexpected visitors.
    Last edited by Horatio; 11-04-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy

Type
    INTP
    A man who cooks well is fucking sexy. Someone who takes the time to thoroughly prepare a meal you know is going to be amazing in bed. Just a pattern I've observed.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    A man who cooks well is fucking sexy. Someone who takes the time to thoroughly prepare a meal you know is going to be amazing in bed. Just a pattern I've observed.
    Thanks. One can but try.

This goes for both.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Thanks. One can but try.

This goes for both.
    I'm sorry for implying that you were homo. You're absolutely not a homo. I'd probably want to be with you if I hadn't found someone who could potentially love both the dark side and the light side, the healthy and the unhealthy, the quest for purity and perfection, as well as the need to sometimes just be humanly flawed. Yet to be always guided by a set of principles or a personal code.

But this has nothing to do with cooking, ha.

Type
    INTP
    The nearly perfect boiled egg--most of the time:

My methods for hard-boiled eggs are likely different from what you might expect. Unless I'm making a batch of pickled eggs, in which case, put 'em in a stockpot of water, boil 'em, peel 'em and put em in a jar of spiced vinegar and see how long I can resist.

But for more common uses, like a quick snack or meal, or an egg salad sandwich, I use either my electric pressure cooker, or a shallow pan, usually an old frying pan.

Fill the pan with enough water to immerse three eggs between half and three quarters of their height. Put on high until the water starts to boil, then turn off the heat. I like to roll the eggs at this point, but I don't think it matters.

Walk away and do some other short term task. Good opportunity to catch up on dishes and laundry. Lot's of cleaning you can do while waiting for things to finish cooking or cooling.

After the eggs are cool enough to handle, but while still too hot to eat, cool them off with water, either from the tap or an ice water bath to make them easier to peel. Even if you miss the moment, I find this method seems to produce eggs that are easier to peel than a stock pot boil does.

The real value of this method though, is in the eating. I find it consistently produces a hard boiled egg with a rich golden yolk untainted by patina of sulphur.

You can get similar results by steaming them. I use a mode on my electric pressure cooker, but the steamer basket of a triple boiler should work the same. The main difference is you steam them at least partially covered. But you turn still stop the heat about the same time the water hits a boil. You'll want to let them cool covered too or they won't cook all the way. It's a little harder to hit, but the end result peels well, if a little more delicately. The shell comes off fine but I've found the flesh tends to be a little softer and easier to chunk with steamed eggs.

For a tasty sandwich, mash the cooked eggs with a fork in a bowl, then mix in some butter and parmesan, spoon the mixture onto a good bread, and enjoy. Heavenly.

Eggs: about 75 calories each, 7 grams of protein. A three egg meal offers 21 grams of good protein at about 225 calories with almost no sugar, and so long as I continue to be able to find eggs for $1 a dozen, costs about twenty-five cents US in basic food materials, and I'd guess a nickel more in water and energy?
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Fairly healthy chocolate muffins with peanut butter filling
    (Makes 12 – 193 kcal, 7g protein)

Ingredients:
    2 large bananas
    200g non-fat Greek yoghurt
    70ml honey
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    50g cocoa powder
    2 medium eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract

160g flour (wholewheat or spelt – spelt works great because of its nutty flavour)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt

90g peanut butter

Preheat oven to 180°. Throw first paragraph of ingredients into blender, blend. In a bowl, mix dry ingredients, then add blended mixture to the flour mixture, mix swiftly. Spoon a tablespoon of muffin batter into each of the 12 muffin tins, add a teaspoon of peanut butter to each, top with more muffin batter. Bake for 25 minutes. While muffins bake, get your arse in gear and clean up your kitchen so that you won't be having breakfast in filth.

Total time including baking and clean up: 30 minutes.
    Made those again this morning and tweaked the ingredients. Much, much better, the batter had the consistency of mousse au chocolat, and when baked they came out as fluffy clouds of chocolate. Had one with a glass of milk for breakfast, delicious.

This is awesome and doable, too. Made it for lunch last week and it turned out nicely.