Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Feminization of Society

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't know about your female ancestors, but mine worked their asses off, took no shit from anyone, and were so unfamiliar with coddling that you'd have had trouble even describing to them what the word means. They'd throw the average man of today over their shoulder like a sack of grain and make him cry for his modern day coddling parents. The world got less hard, ergo so did all the people.

If anything, the behavior of modern people resembles that of the rich of old, not that of the women of old. 100 years ago, white wedding dresses, engagement rings, your own bedroom, school, owning more shoes than you could wear at one time, eating things you didn't grow, kill, pluck/skin and prepare yourself, etc., all of these things were the purview of only the well off. Women shot guns, twisted the necks off chickens, worked in the fields, chopped firewood and dug the graves of their spouses and children in the back 40 with a fucking shovel just like the men did, only sometimes they did it when they were pregnant. We aren't a feminized society, we are a gentrified society.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    All three and a half billion people could be like you, then. That's your idea of masculinity?
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    As they rekindle the age old dominance of men over women? That's the part that doesn't make any sense to me. Your dark green society could just as easily be matriarchal.
    The feminine is associated with agriculture, the moon; masculine with hunting and gathering, the sun. There's a place for them both, but the moon has eclipsed the sun.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sounds like the Unabomber Manifesto. Ever read it? Sending letter bombs is a cowardly form of murder but his diagnosis of society rings true to me. I don't think there is a genuine way to remasculate society besides a terrible war or some other kind of tragedy that thins out a large portion of the male population. With tech obsolescing a lot of areas where old school toughness thrived I just don't see resurgence of the Head of the Household dynamic in our lifetimes. I think men who feel this way have the option to adapt to a gender egalitarian service economy or quit society as much as they can. There's not an institution remaining that's going back barring unforeseen horror (military included). Any Male Identity movement is too masturbatory to be actually masculine.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    The world got less hard, ergo so did all the people.
    I agree. I also think the predominant notion of femininity is still very post-war suburban housewife (Mad Men, for example).
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    The feminine is associated with agriculture, the moon; masculine with hunting and gathering, the sun.
    Women are associated with agriculture because of their inherited role as domestic slaves. Perhaps there's a better organization of society than one that enslaves half the population as concubines and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Any Male Identity movement is too masturbatory to be actually masculine.
    The conundrum of masculinity right there. Stoicism or you're not a man. A real man makes the sandwich when the sandwich needs making with a hard face of Iron will.
    Spoiler: Stoic
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I agree. I also think the predominant notion of femininity is still very post-war suburban housewife (Mad Men, for example).
    One could almost make a case for dividing general gender roles into two categories: pre grocery store/post grocery store.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Thought this was going to be about the legit issue of boys falling behind in education... nope, just more cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Thought this was going to be about the legit issue of boys falling behind in education... nope, just more cringe.
    Not stoic enough. Dig the ditch, Neville, before you lose your man card.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Women are associated with agriculture because of their inherited role as domestic slaves.
    I think it's because of women's fertility. But in an indirect way you are right; like some marxist guy once said, the history of human progress is the struggle of man against the blind forces of nature, the struggle to dominate it, and women were always a part of that nature.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao