Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Feminization of Society

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Thought this was going to be about the legit issue of boys falling behind in education... nope, just more cringe.
    At root it may be.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Not stoic enough. Dig the ditch, Neville, before you lose your man card.

Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    At root it may be.
    You've triggered the horde so I guess we'll never know.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    The feminine is associated with agriculture, the moon; masculine with hunting and gathering, the sun. There's a place for them both, but the moon has eclipsed the sun.
    What's odd is that you still have this Neolithic idea of societal expectations.

It doesn't matter who holds the spear as long as there's food in the table.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    One could almost make a case for dividing general gender roles into two categories: pre grocery store/post grocery store.
    I think even the feminist intelligentsia, in their struggle for higher education and civil rights, has historically contributed to creating a certain portrait of femininity based on women in their own social class: the luxury mammal. Working class women's problems were mainly the prerogative of marxist-feminists.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

@Neville - Very stoic response. You may have your card back. For now.

But seriously, I sound like I'm joking, but it's very true. Masculinity at its heart could be defined as stoicism, and that stoicism probably has a lot to do with the ever expanding education gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Real men look like Bruegel the Elder painted them!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I think the internet has had/is having a big effect on society. There's an aspect of it that's like playing with fire. People can organize faster than they ever could have in history. Ideas are progressing very fast, and I think it's having an (obviously) unhealthy effect on the psychology of many people. I think things like the insanity we saw during the last election cycle are going to happen more and more as these unhealthy ideology bubbles fester.

On the other hand... maybe it's the same as it ever was. We're all stuck in our own perspectives.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Curious Conlanger epistemophiliac's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Masculinity at its heart could be defined as stoicism, and that stoicism probably has a lot to do with the ever expanding education gap.
    Wait, does that mean vulcans are more masculine than humans?
    Maybe humans just naturally suck at stoicism so they get crazy Pon-farr when they try it? lol
    Pedin i phith in aníron, a nin ú-cheniog.
    Kup tar-tor n'zhitlar ik istau - eh ri ken-tor du nash-veh.
    Sa's drisa tonabhiala tomuñ s'eph de'imal'il, sa se lodhe togal'n.
    B'lir inus vorbilim bi mek inus, hiam gi b'ek ilimlimr.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Neville - Very stoic response. You may have your card back. For now.

But seriously, I sound like I'm joking, but it's very true. Masculinity at its heart could be defined as stoicism, and that stoicism probably has a lot to do with the ever expanding education gap.
    I see the modern education system (at least until grad school...grad school is very different) as having an extreme bias toward ES_J's. I don't know how that would break down gender-wise. There is an emphasis on checking off learning boxes over actual learning, and an emphasis on engagement and publicization of skills and accomplishments over internalization of knowledge and skills within an individual. I think Paul Dirac might have grown up to be a dish washer in our modern school system. The difference between an A and an C in most of my undergraduate courses was the difference between whether or not I compiled comprehensive enough lists of facts to memorize and kept adequate track of calendar dates rather than any difference in how much I learned. I hated that, but I was able to take the steps, albeit grudgingly, to manage it. A lot of manly men manage to navigate it too. It's just another kind of rubicon.

Rigid adherence to formats is a big deal in the education system. I see it as a necessary evil when you have teacher student ratios of 1 to 400, as is the case in most undergraduate college systems. There is no way to assess and tailor at those ratios if you don't have a fairly rigid system. The teachers themselves are subjected to the same rigid checking of boxes as the students when they are assessed by the administration who wants to make sure that they are making their students check off all the right boxes.

In grad school, things are so different, assuming you have an ethical and energetic major professor. You have a teacher student ratio of about 1 to 4 or 5...maybe ten at the most, and that's where you get a real academic apprenticeship. My prof was old as dirt and about to be forced to retire in spite of his continued academic productivity. I was his last grad student, so I started with 1:3, and ended with 1:1 the entire last year. Plus he was about as much of an oldschool madcap INTP genius as anyone alive, so I got pretty lucky. He challenged me constantly, but he didn't give me rules or boundaries. I loved grad school...but I may have had an atypical experience, as my research required me to live in a tent in a wilderness area cut off from civilization much of the time. If I could exist in that four years of my life indefinitely, I would.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Quote Originally Posted by epistemophiliac View Post
    Wait, does that mean vulcans are more masculine than humans?
    Maybe humans just naturally suck at stoicism so they get crazy Pon-farr when they try it? lol
    Vulcans are what real men become when they reach the final stage of enlightenment. Ironically, @Sistamatic is the only person I know to have achieved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.