Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you change about the culture you live in?

Type
    XXXX

What would you change about the culture you live in?

Let's be honest, your culture isn't perfect. In some places it's downright sick. What would you change about your culture? Why? How do you think those changes could be best achieved?

Type
    INTP
    Celebrity obsession because it's annoying. I'd solve this by Stalin-esque purges.

Type
    INTP
    This seems familiar. I would like it if emotional expression and support were more acceptable for men and self-reliance and independence for women. Basically to diminish the effect of gender roles on how interdependent we're supposed to be with one another.

Type
    INTP
    -No more obsession over religion; complete secularization of society
    -No more obsession over individual wealth and the ideal of "success". A return to a more collectivistic/community orientation.
    -No more nationalism/patriotism. A person's a person, it doesn't matter what side of the Rio Grande they were born on.
    -More curiosity about topics such as what's going on in the world, politics, and philosophical thought. Less desire for the instant gratification that currently dominates mass media.
    -More sincerity in attitudes. If a cashier is having a bad day at work, I don't want them to have to pretend to be happy and smile at me anyway. If someone doesn't care about how I'm doing, I don't want them to feel obligated to ask.

Type
    intp
    Improve the 14.6% native portion of the country's education, health and income levels and keep them out of prison.

60% don't live longer than 65; they're over 50% of the prison population and their education and income levels are appalling.

Type
    INTP
    Slightly nuke Florida to keep that culture from spreading.

Put collars on all Congressmen/women that slightly tighten each time they lie.

Break this country's unhealthy addiction to victory.

Type
    INTP
    I'd quit putting people in jail & prison for bullshit stuff.

Also, you can't vote unless you pay taxes.
    Last edited by 99Problems; 01-20-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Toss up between wanting a truly secular society and the hardon America has against income equality.

Type
    INTP
    My thoughts here are unpopular and controversial, but held firmly nonetheless.

In short (to spare you one hell of a tl;dr): I'd change almost everything. How could I go about it? Sometimes, a ship is already too far out to sea. I'd say let that one sink (or shoot it down) and then launch another. Sometimes you just have to zero things.

Type
    INTP
    [...] A return to a more collectivistic/community orientation.
    -No more nationalism/patriotism. A person's a person, it doesn't matter what side of the Rio Grande they were born on.
    Seems to me nationalism is merely a symptom of conservatism which, often times, sets out to protect "community" orientation or culture of the past. In the end, the progressives win; culture does not remain static, even as modernist transitions can certainly be slowed down, usually indiscriminately (e.g. resistance across the board for issues of religion, politics, environment and traditions). I don't think it's any coincidence that those "bubble", isolated communities and indigenous groups especially slow to change are more wary of foreigners, no matter the race, and are, needless to say, conservative. That's why it interests me that this "back-to-grassroots-living" movement popular with the anarchists and the far left doesn't seem to be associated, in their minds, to any level of conservatism whatsoever. It's not exactly a recipe for cosmopolitanism. I'd expect people would identify with their region, and its traditions over others.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-20-2014 at 08:15 PM.