Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth Syndrome?

Flat Earth Syndrome?

So I randomly ran across this last night:

I thought. Ok, poor guy has lost his marbles. But then I started looking around and found out "Flat Earth" is a "thing" here in 2017. TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN!

I want to mark this down as a statistical guarantee given the population size of the world. Is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    One of my favorite arguments of the FE types is that they fixate on the azimuthal projection map, assert it's validity because of something in the legend denoting it as scientifically accurate, and then proceed to spend however the fuck long explaining why science is wrong but this one map they made is legit, trust it, it's science!
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    Well, a favorite quote from 3:45 from the flat earther...

But after finding out what I know now, I have come from being an atheist to believing (in) a higher power.
    Thank no-god for that one.

I can't imagine finishing this video and staying sane, but early on this bloke talks about not believing NASA etc. Perhaps these folks have never put an eyeball to a telescope eyepiece (unless it was some crap 60mm tasco - not the good ones from the 1960s mind you, the cheap ones) and observed Jupiter, Saturn, Mars the Moon etc? The demise of the Earth centered universe really dates from Gallileo doing just that because it becomes fucking obvious what is going on when you bother to use your own eyes and a modest telescope, well within the financial reach of all but the poorest among us.

The interesting question is - what drives people to want to know something the rest of us don't without putting any effort into it? Is it like liking a certain band and thinking other bands aren't so good, just a lazy 'fuck it, that's how it is' sort of thing?

As to your salient question about 7 billion humans guaranteeing any given insanity - well yes and no. No doubt there is somebody who thinks he or she is the testes of a goat for example, or that baby humans hatch from eggs laid by houseflies etc. But profound ignorance is all too common according to gallup polling data.

Probing a more universal measure of knowledge, Gallup also asked the following basic science question, which has been used to indicate the level of public knowledge in two European countries in recent years: "As far as you know, does the earth revolve around the sun or does the sun revolve around the earth?" In the new poll, about four out of five Americans (79%) correctly respond that the earth revolves around the sun, while 18% say it is the other way around. These results are comparable to those found in Germany when a similar question was asked there in 1996; in response to that poll, 74% of Germans gave the correct answer, while 16% thought the sun revolved around the earth, and 10% said they didn't know. When the question was asked in Great Britain that same year, 67% answered correctly, 19% answered incorrectly, and 14% didn't know.
    This is after 400 years of people who bother to look and think and knew better. What's that, maybe 15 generations?

Here's another 'good news' gallup poll. The number of people who believe in creationism - god getting out the tinker toys to make everything including people - is only 38%, which is historically low number.

How far a leap is it from this belief to thinking the Earth is flat? Almost zero in my mind, a slight twitch. Creationists only throw geology, paleontology, biology, genetics, eh.. you know.. a lot of shit, out. Flat earthers only need to additionally disbelieve NASA, those Nazi dudes - and never look at the planets through a scope.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's one of those phenomena where I've never really argued in defense of a round Earth and the flat-Earthers have all types of sophistry I'm not prepared to de-bunk on the fly. I've been around most of the world on a ship but I wasn't steering the whole time so I'm taking it on faith that the whole world isn't conspiring to mislead about this issue. I hear it's a thing. Pics of the edge of the world of GTFO.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 10-18-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    If you keep digging, you'll find the kooks who think gravity doesn't exist. They insist it's all explained by differing densities. Somehow they don't see the relationship to mass and gravity. I don't recall if they have any explanation for the consistent ordering of density, but I'd think a moderate intellect would latch onto, "oh. Right. Gravity."
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    If you keep digging, you'll find the kooks who think gravity doesn't exist. They insist it's all explained by differing densities. Somehow they don't see the relationship to mass and gravity. I don't recall if they have any explanation for the consistent ordering of density, but I'd think a moderate intellect would latch onto, "oh. Right. Gravity."
    So do you think there were no moderate intellects before the birth of Isaac Newton?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    So I randomly ran across this last night:

I want to mark this down as a statistical guarantee given the population size of the world. Is it?
    Pretty sure almost all of the flat earth people are just messing around.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    i liked how smooth the flat earth defender debates, lovely guy :3 ESFP or ISFJ i would say

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    So do you think there were no moderate intellects before the birth of Isaac Newton?
    Link me their videos and I'll tell you.

Edit: Specifically, link me their videos where they attempt to explicitly refute the theory of gravity.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 10-19-2017 at 03:03 AM.