Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth Syndrome?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I have a facebook friend who legitimately believes that the world is flat. Like others, I'm most interested in why he believes what he believes...because it's really fascinating.

I mean, to get through life successfully in spite of thinking and believing some of the things he believes...just blows my mind. Makes me think that genius is totally overrated (or, I'm too dumb to realize that the guy is a genius).
    I'm not sure if it is against forum rules to direct users to another forum, but the flat earth society's FAQ page is really interesting to read, and might shed some light on why your friend believes it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I have a facebook friend who legitimately believes that the world is flat. Like others, I'm most interested in why he believes what he believes...because it's really fascinating.

I mean, to get through life successfully in spite of thinking and believing some of the things he believes...just blows my mind. Makes me think that genius is totally overrated (or, I'm too dumb to realize that the guy is a genius).
    A good article IMO.

I really feel sorry for the wife in this story.

I finally found the name of the technique of spewing so many half-baked assertions that it becomes extremely difficult to have the time and broad knowledge required to refute them honestly.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

This is the most commonly used tactic in these conspiracy theory videos my dad keeps sending me.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Washington Post Article

This gentleman is planning to launch himself in a rocket to prove the Earth is flat. I wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the one about white boomers committing suicide.

(I know this guy is silly but I'm disappointed in the smarmy tone of what should be a straight ahead news article. Go write for fucking Buzzfeed)

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Oh good there's a thread for this, I almost stuck this in the rants section.

It blows my mind that this is still a thing. I got bored the other day and watched a long youtube video laying out the "scientific" arguments for a flat earth. I really cannot fucking believe many of them think the argument "if I can't perceive it, then it doesn't exist" is a valid scientific argument. I mean my fucking god that opens up a precedent for all kinds of absolute nonsense. For instance I know I'm made up of a bunch of atoms, but I don't have the perception of being made up trillions and trillions of little things, does that mean I'm not really made up of atoms? Our senses have evolved to where they are out of utility, there's no evolutionary advantage to being aware of the trillions of little things that make you up, just like there's no evolutionary advantage to having eye sight that allows you to be able to see things thousands of miles away (we have a hell of a lot more pressing matters to deal with that are a lot closer to us than that).

I don't think this is the re-emergence of a crazy theory though, I think it's just the latest manifestation of a crazy theory that never completely went away.

I don't deny the value in some of our population questioning everything they see (or don't see in this case?), but come the fuck on people.

Type
    INTP
    I have long been of the opinion that the overwhelming majority of people who argue for a flat earth are trolls.

In spite of that, their arguments are great at shining a lot on just how much modern people rely on indoctrination rather than anything resembling the scientific method for their ideas about the nature of our world.

Type
    INTP
    Probably a somewhat tangential thought, but for a bedtime story tonight I was telling my kid the plot of the Martian, per his request. He's four years old, and fiction and reality are pretty much all shades of grey to him right now. He's really into rockets. We watch live rocket launches on TV. There's no reason right now for him to be able to distinguish a movie from a real recording. I was thinking of how I might explain to him, years in the future, what's real and what's pretend.

Those rockets on the TV are real. But those rockets are pretend.

That robot is a pretend robot. But this robot in this YouTube clip is real.

Even if he's, say, eight, I can already anticipate his frustration and disbelief as he tries to categorize his world.

I wonder how much the technological sophistication of media plays a part in confusing, even in an adult mind, the telltale indications of fiction vs reality.

I suppose you could say the same thing about War of the Worlds.

But I wonder if on some level our brains really are ill equipped to believe what we can't see. But no, that's not right. I'd say the opposite is true. Humans naturally believe what we can't see. ...Maybe all it takes to confuse "reality" is a competing narrative.

Type
    INTP
    I am kind of hoping that crazy flat earth rocket guy kills himself. He seems to be a future Darwin award winner in waiting.

It amuses me his last attempt got him 1875 feet off the ground. It looks to me the hill in the background might be higher than that. He could just hike up it.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I am kind of hoping that crazy flat earth rocket guy kills himself. He seems to be a future Darwin award winner in waiting.

It amuses me his last attempt got him 1875 feet off the ground. It looks to me the hill in the background might be higher than that. He could just hike up it.
    The crazy flat earth rocket guy is way cooler than you. Let's see you build a steam powered rocket.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I have long been of the opinion that the overwhelming majority of people who argue for a flat earth are trolls.

In spite of that, their arguments are great at shining a lot on just how much modern people rely on indoctrination rather than anything resembling the scientific method for their ideas about the nature of our world.
    Maybe owing to the sheer stupidity, but I'm not sure that should be any more likely than with other anti-intellectual conspiracy theorists.
    Last edited by Faust; 04-04-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: grammar
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"