Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth Syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    Pretty sure almost all of the flat earth people are just messing around.
    Pretty sure some of them are for sure. But I suspect a lot are not. I mean, there's a lot of just as ridiculous ideas believed by the majority of many populations. Well, almost as ridiculous. The rarity of the idea adds that .01% extra ridiculous to it, cuz you can't claim it's to go along get along.

Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    If you keep digging, you'll find the kooks who think gravity doesn't exist. They insist it's all explained by differing densities. Somehow they don't see the relationship to mass and gravity. I don't recall if they have any explanation for the consistent ordering of density, but I'd think a moderate intellect would latch onto, "oh. Right. Gravity."
    That's part of the flat earther spiel. To list a few:
    1. Light can't travel very far, which is why it can be dark one place and light another on a flat earth. Sunset.. something to do with curved lensing in the atmosphere.
    2. All cameras and lenses and atmosphere... and whatever else needs it for convenience... curves what you see one way or the other.
    3. NASA is a Nazi lie conspiracy.
    4. Game of thrones Ice Wall is a thing called antarctica at the edges of the world.
    5. Gravity is made up. It's just electromagnetism.
    6. Nobody is allowed to travel to antarctica. That's why there's no pics.
    7. Every pic that shows we're wrong is faked.
    8. Something about an electro.. something made up word in the sky.
    9. They only believe in what they can see for themselves. (Unless, of course, someone says something that works with their "literal" world view. Like electro made up thingy in the sky.

I do think some of this is just trolling. Trolling the idiots. But I think the idiots are there full hearted in pretty crazy numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    7 billion humans guaranteeing any given insanity - well yes and no. No doubt there is somebody who thinks he or she is the testes of a goat for example, or that baby humans hatch from eggs laid by houseflies etc. But profound ignorance is all too common according to gallup polling data.

This is after 400 years of people who bother to look and think and knew better. What's that, maybe 15 generations?

Here's another 'good news' gallup poll. The number of people who believe in creationism - god getting out the tinker toys to make everything including people - is only 38%, which is historically low number.

How far a leap is it from this belief to thinking the Earth is flat? Almost zero in my mind, a slight twitch. Creationists only throw geology, paleontology, biology, genetics, eh.. you know.. a lot of shit, out. Flat earthers only need to additionally disbelieve NASA, those Nazi dudes - and never look at the planets through a scope.
    This is just sad. It's no wonder I'm an introvert.
    Last edited by stigmatica; 10-19-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Normally I'd be a dismissive dick about this but it's my parents who are caught up in this so it becomes personal. I don't want to abandon them to the deluge of snake oil out there but I feel powerless vs. the firehose of youtube disinformation.

Against better judgement I ended up in a debate tonight with them about it and I feel like they might be open to changing their mind. I grudgingly watched a youtube of an engineer ignoring radiation as a method of heat transfer puzzle over how satellites could not melt in leo. Also my dad had some issue about planes taking off in relation to earth. I tried to explain vectors, reference frames and centripetal motion.

Ultimately I tried to get them to explain why anybody would go through the enormous expense and trouble to convince us insignificant citizens about a particular shape of the earth when it has no practical effect on anything.

I'm going to try again to enter into a dialogue about it. Being a condescending dick even if you don't mean it isn't effective. It might not work anyway but I'm going to give it one more try.

Type
    INTP
    Link me their videos and I'll tell you.

Edit: Specifically, link me their videos where they attempt to explicitly refute the theory of gravity.
    I can't link you any videos from before the birth of Isaac Newton. I just think that if gravity was as obvious as you're saying, we would have figured it out a long time before that.

Everything we know that we can't verify with our own senses is taken on faith.

Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    Normally I'd be a dismissive dick about this but it's my parents who are caught up in this so it becomes personal. I don't want to abandon them to the deluge of snake oil out there but I feel powerless vs. the firehose of youtube disinformation.

Against better judgement I ended up in a debate tonight with them about it and I feel like they might be open to changing their mind. I grudgingly watched a youtube of an engineer ignoring radiation as a method of heat transfer puzzle over how satellites could not melt in leo. Also my dad had some issue about planes taking off in relation to earth. I tried to explain vectors, reference frames and centripetal motion.

Ultimately I tried to get them to explain why anybody would go through the enormous expense and trouble to convince us insignificant citizens about a particular shape of the earth when it has no practical effect on anything.

I'm going to try again to enter into a dialogue about it. Being a condescending dick even if you don't mean it isn't effective. It might not work anyway but I'm going to give it one more try.
    I love the idea that your parents are just trolling you.

I have to say though, I found this little flat earth rabbit hole a rather interesting study. They're not going entirely on faith. They're going on flawed science. As Starjot stated, attempting to figure it all out sans any historical or scientific knowledge. Basically, assuming that all of history and human knowledge is a lie... going back to our roots as cavemen and trying to figure it out from scratch. Which actually could be a useful activity if you didn't go into it completely biased against any results that match the historical knowledge base. I mean, there's plenty of claimed scientific discoveries that follow a similar flawed approach, but are hidden behind more credible results and sources.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I can't link you any videos from before the birth of Isaac Newton. I just think that if gravity was as obvious as you're saying, we would have figured it out a long time before that.
    You were serious? I assumed you were just bantering.

I was specifically speaking about claims to refute the theory of gravity. In order to explicitly refute a concept, a priori knowledge of that concept is a necessary precondition. Consequently none of the people you are referring to could possibly enter the line of reasoning I am criticizing people for their conclusions on, as they fail to meet that precondition. They are outside the domain of my argument, and thereby, my criticism, which was the point of demanding a link to their videos.

Seemed obvious to me.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 10-19-2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: grammar
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

It all ends up being an unexpected reflection on epistemology if you are practically forced to enter the debate.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post

Everything we know that we can't verify with our own senses is taken on faith.
    You were serious? I assumed you were just bantering.

I was specifically speaking about claims to refute the theory of gravity.
    Thought I'd inject a science fair project I did with one my then 6th grade sons. The idea is to have two small masses move toward each other due to gravitational attraction. The major problem is this must be done is Earth's gravity so it must be neutralized. This was done by Cavendish in 1798 to calculate the gravitational constant.

We built a small apparatus that fit inside a clear storage container (to eliminate wind currents), used light fishing line, lead weights and a nice lump of tungsten borrowed from a collector of elements. Being a 6th grade science fair we just wanted to show two objects moving together due to gravity, not make any calculations being standard gravitational force etc. At first it did not work, we had set up one big mass and one small mass. Then we ran the calculation and realized we'd get much more force with the same overall mass by splitting the mass equally. And it worked.

Anyway, long story short, seeing gravity with your own eyes (and not Earth's gravity) is not that hard and it's quite eerie to watch.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    The ice wall that surrounds flat earth (Antarctica) is what holds the oceans in and keeps them from spilling over.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    The ice wall that surrounds flat earth (Antarctica) is what holds the oceans in and keeps them from spilling over.
    That puts a whole new spin on global warming. Sea level rise my ass. Silly spherical thinking that is. They gonna drain.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    an MBTIer bashing flat earthers for using faulty science