Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth Syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    an MBTIer bashing flat earthers for using faulty science

lol - I think most folks here have gone down on record as being MBTIers in only the loosest of terms. Kind of like being a Canadian, I suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

an MBTIer bashing flat earthers for using faulty science

Wait, are you a flat earther for realz? Or was this just comedy? I was sure comedy, but then... I have to ask as I don't really know you well.

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Wait, are you a flat earther for realz? Or was this just comedy? I was sure comedy, but then... I have to ask as I don't really know you well.
    I am not a flat earther, but I frequent the society's website and forum. A lot of brain power went into devising such a neat theory.

I am not a flat earther, but I frequent the society's website and forum. A lot of brain power went into devising such a neat theory.
    Well, on one hand, I'm disappointed. I was going to really enjoy trying to understand you! On the other hand, I'm still interested in your take as a frequenter. It sounds like you're a bit like me in what I said a few posts ago... "I have to say though..."?

Edit: For me, why someone thinks the way they think is FAR more important than making fun of the way someone thinks. Sometimes, rarely mind you, but sometimes you find it's your own thinking that may be flawed. Or, as in the case of this flat earther rabbit hole, I can see parallels within the more legitimate science community that a lot of people don't notice, and now I'm more keenly aware of them.
    Last edited by stigmatica; 10-19-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    Pretty sure almost all of the flat earth people are just messing around.
    one possiblity is that the entire flat earth theory has been created and hyped to discredit the growing field of 'conspiracy theory'

We are now seeing governments criticising 'fake news' and people are now saying we are living in a 'post truth' world where people can just say whatever the hell they like even if its not true

Investigative journalism is a dying craft and sadly many people are too busy or lazy to fact check themselves

So what better way is there for governments to clamp down on the general public considering other points of view then are officially offered relating to the unfolding events around the world then to start saying that the public discourse has descended into madness and therefore is in need of monitoring and managing by the authorities?

''the world is full of fake news like flat earth therefore we will now have to lockdown the internet and control what information you may have access to''

Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    one possiblity is that the entire flat earth theory has been created and hyped to discredit the growing field of 'conspiracy theory'

We are now seeing governments criticising 'fake news' and people are now saying we are living in a 'post truth' world where people can just say whatever the hell they like even if its not true

Investigative journalism is a dying craft and sadly many people are too busy or lazy to fact check themselves

So what better way is there for governments to clamp down on the general public considering other points of view then are officially offered relating to the unfolding events around the world then to start saying that the public discourse has descended into madness and therefore is in need of monitoring and managing by the authorities?

''the world is full of fake news like flat earth therefore we will now have to lockdown the internet and control what information you may have access to''
    Or maybe it's that the internet allows previously isolated paranoid schizophrenics to virtually gather, lend silly ideas the illusion of credibility through repetition and infect the gullible.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    Or maybe it's that the internet allows previously isolated paranoid schizophrenics to virtually gather, lend silly ideas the illusion of credibility through repetition and infect the gullible.
    oh for sure

however we also know for a fact that state actors ARE active on the internet. The journalist Glenn Greenwald who was involved in the Edward Snowden story left the guardian newspaper and wrote for the intercept

He wrote an article about leaked information showing the role of a group called 'JTRIG' which is a division within GCHQ which is britains version of the NSA

The intelligence services of the UK and the US and canada and australia and new zealand all share intel as part of an operation called 'the 5 eyes'

They get around the laws in their own country that forbid them to spy on their own people by getting the other intelligence agencies to spy on their populations for them and then getting the intel second hand form them!

If you want to read Glenns article about the dirty tricks used by JTRIG to control online discourse then you can see the article here:

How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations
    Glenn Greenwald, February 24 2014, 11:25 p.m.
    https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

The role of the corporate media is to 'manage the perceptions' of the public which is to say to create narratives about what is going on in the world that will make the public see the world the way that the corporate media want them to see it

Obamas internet tzar was a guy called Cass Sunstein and he advised Obama to use agents to infiltrate internet forums and control the public discourse there. he also advised obama to tax conspiracy theories!!!

Here is Luke Rudowski of WEARECHANGE confronting Cass Sunstein about this at a press conference:

Obama Information Czar Cass Sunstein Confronted on Cognitive Infiltration of Conspiracy Groups

The chinese have an army of online agents called the '50 centers' because they are paid 50 cents for every pro-government post they make. Your government has people like that too

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post

+1

It's my assessment that the "Flat Earth" meme was created and injected into the alternative news to help discredit and divide the movement.

The people who do this are paid disinformationists known commonly as shills.

The people falling for the disinformation are hapless dupes, commonly referred to as "dupes".

Conspiracy "Theory" and the "Alternative News" have been co-opted to discredit... 90% of Alternative News is controlled opposition.

Flat earth came around the US Election and the Pedogate scandal - obviously to divide and distract from the real issues.

In regards to the evidence, NASA's releases are often fake & hoaxed - that's just the nature of the space program, the truth is classified.

But just because NASA's full of shit, it doesn't mean the Earth is flat

So many people who dismiss "conspiracy theory" as "bunk" are so ignorant to who's actually pulling the strings of these cultural memes.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    You can't dismiss the Flat Earth Society that easily - they have members all around the globe.
    - but someone had to say it.

Seriously, have you ever encountered an actual person arguing for this belief? I haven't - even on the internet. There are websites about it, sure. But the only time I ever hear about it is debunking (completely unnecessarily) and poking fun at the stupidity of it. And a couple of celebrities who no one had heard of using it for a bit of attention. I think it's mostly just fun, trolling and people using the internet for attention. Though I do not believe there to be a limit to human stupidity, so it possible some people are simply that dumb. But that it is used by mainstream sites in order to make anyone who thinks differently seem just as batshit is certainly obvious. Created by, I couldn't say. But perpetuated by, definitely.

Type
    INTP
    Hmm, I am not certain if what Mara says is the case or there is merit. There is a more detailed Biblical description of the flat earth that most flat earther's do not know about in Enoch:

CHAPTER LXXII.

1. The book of the courses of the luminaries of the heaven, the relations of each, according to their classes, their dominion and their seasons, according to their names and places of origin, and according to their months, which Uriel, the holy angel, who was with me, who is their guide, showed me; and he showed me all their laws exactly as they are, and how it is with regard to all the years of the world and unto eternity, till the new creation is

p. 96

accomplished which dureth till eternity. 2. And this is the first law of the luminaries: the luminary the Sun has its rising in the eastern portals of the heaven, and its setting in the western portals of the heaven. 3. And I saw six portals in which the sun rises, and six portals in which the sun sets and the moon rises and sets in these portals, and the leaders of the stars and those whom they lead: six in the east and six in the west, and all following each other in accurately corresponding order: also many windows to the right and left of these portals. 4. And first there goes forth the great luminary, named the Sun, and his circumference is like the circumference of the heaven, and he is quite filled with illuminating and heating fire. 5. The chariot on which he ascends, the wind drives, and the sun goes down from the heaven and returns through the north in order to reach the east, and is so guided that he comes to the appropriate (lit. 'that') portal and shines in the face of the heaven. 6. In this way he rises in the first month in the great portal, which is the fourth ⌈those six portals in the cast⌉. 7. And in that fourth portal from which the sun rises in the first month are twelve window-openings, from which proceed a flame when they are opened in their season. 8. When the sun rises in the heaven, he comes forth through that fourth portal thirty mornings in succession, and sets accurately in the fourth portal in the west of the heaven. 9. And during this period the day becomes daily longer and the night nightly shorter to the thirtieth morning. 10. On that day the day is longer than the night by a ninth part, and the day amounts exactly to ten parts and the night to eight parts. 11. And the sun rises from that fourth portal, and sets in the fourth and returns to the fifth portal of the east thirty mornings, and rises from it and sets in the fifth portal. 12. And then the day becomes longer by †two† parts and amounts to eleven parts, and the night becomes shorter and amounts to seven parts. 13. And it returns to the east and enters into

p. 97

the sixth portal, and rises and sets in the sixth portal one-and-thirty mornings on account of its sign. 14. On that day the day becomes longer than the night, and the day becomes double the night, and the day becomes twelve parts, and the night is shortened and becomes six parts. 15. And the sun mounts up to make the day shorter and the night longer, and the sun returns to the east and enters into the sixth portal, and rises from it and sets thirty mornings. 16. And when thirty mornings are accomplished, the day decreases by exactly one part, and becomes eleven parts, and the night seven. 17. And the sun goes forth from that sixth portal in the west, and goes to the east and rises in the fifth portal for thirty mornings, and sets in the west again in the fifth western portal. 18. On that day the day decreases by †two† parts, and amounts to ten parts and the night to eight parts. 19. And the sun goes forth from that fifth portal and sets in the fifth portal of the west, and rises in the fourth portal for one-and-thirty mornings on account of its sign, and sets in the west. 20. On that day the day is equalized with the night, [and becomes of equal length], and the night amounts to nine parts and the day to nine parts. 21. And the sun rises from that portal and sets in the west, and returns to the east and rises thirty mornings in the third portal and sets in the west in the third portal. 22. And on that day the night becomes longer than the day, and night becomes longer than night, and day shorter than day till the thirtieth morning, and the night amounts exactly to ten parts and the day to eight parts. 23. And the sun rises from that third portal and sets in the third portal in the west and returns to the east, and for thirty mornings rises in the second portal in the east, and in like manner sets in the second portal in the west of the heaven. 24. And on that day the night amounts to eleven parts and the day to seven parts. 25. And the sun rises on that day from that second portal and sets in the west in the second portal, and

p. 98

returns to the east into the first portal for one-and-thirty mornings, and sets in the first portal in the west of the heaven. 26. And on that day the night becomes longer and amounts to the double of the day: and the night amounts exactly to twelve parts and the day to six. 27. And the sun has (therewith) traversed the divisions of his orbit and turns again on those divisions of his orbit, and enters that portal thirty mornings and sets also in the west opposite to it. 28. And on that night has the night decreased in length by a †ninth† part, and the night has become eleven parts and the day seven parts. 29. And the sun has returned and entered into the second portal in the east, and returns on those his divisions of his orbit for thirty mornings, rising and setting. 30. And on that day the night decreases in length, and the night amounts to ten parts and the day to eight. 31. And on that day the sun rises from that portal, and sets in the west, and returns to the east, and rises in the third portal for one-and-thirty mornings, and sets in the west of the heaven. 32. On that day the night decreases and amounts to nine parts, and the day to nine parts, and the night is equal to the day and the year is exactly as to its days three hundred and sixty-four. 33. And the length of the day and of the night, and the shortness of the day and of the night arise--through the course of the sun these distinctions are made (lit. 'they are separated'). 34. So it comes that its course becomes daily longer, and its course nightly shorter. 35. And this is the law and the course of the sun, and his return as often as he returns sixty times and rises, i.e. the great luminary which is named the sun, for ever and ever. 36. And that which (thus) rises is the great luminary, and is so named according to its appearance, according as the Lord commanded. 37. As he rises, so he sets and decreases not, and rests not, but runs day and night, and his light is sevenfold brighter than that of the moon; but as regards size they are both equal.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/boe075.htm

So, I suppose given what we know about quantum mechanics, the whole portal thing could make sense but I don't get caught up in it really. Also, confused by that on eclipses and what not.