Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is wrong with modern education?

Type
    XXXX

Lightbulb What do you think is wrong with modern education?

Just want to know what (if anything) is wrong with education, and what measures do you think would fix it? (Or can it really be fixed?)

Interpret the question however you want, don't be an INTP fag and ask what I mean by that. I am going to keep typing things in this box so at first glance it will look like I put more than 60 seconds of thought into this thread when I actually didn't. This one time my philosophy teacher, Dave, went to see 2001 A Space Odyssey while he was tripping on LSD. He had a major freakout when HAL9000 started talking to him. What was I saying? Oh right, I'm making a thread. Maybe if I didn't go to such a shitty school I'd be able to focus on the task at hand. That was the one thing I learned from my school: How to blame someone/thing else for your problems.

Type
    INTP
    Not enough inspired teachers who are also experts at their subject. Without inspiration and expertise, teachers are just channels for information...mostly just mediocre ones...and we've got the Internet.

You can get a master's degree just by having enough information...you don't need to master anything. Apprenticeships and practicums ought to be the core of education, and information regurgitation simply the periphery of it.

Type
    INTP
    Too much political correctness, not enough emphasis on basics.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    ENTP
    Modern (US) education has two phases. The first phase is primarily a daycare system, designed to occupy children and maintain a dull and bloated bureaucracy. Teachers are forced to teach to the tests, which results in a culture obsessed with making the grade, not on learning anything. Tax revenue for education was stripped down to a minimum by Proposition 13, and its analogues, and the result is a drastic disparity between the privileged few and the rest. The second phase, higher education, is merely a caste system. Applicants compete for a caste ranking, which defines their eligibility for post-collegiate employment. The corporate world also teaches to a test, in a sense, because they focus on making defensible hires, not seeking talent.

That all being said, there are really some fantastic teachers out there. People who teach because they enjoy teaching. It's just a shame that they have to wade through a bureaucracy that impedes them, and that they have to accept low wages and front many of their own classroom costs.

My expectation for the future is a continuation of the current trend towards disparity between the privileged few and the masses. Rich folks don't want to pay to educate poor kids, it's that simple. Eventually, I think the entire public education system will become wholly unsustainable - it's virtually there financially. While I don't believe public education will entirely disappear, I do believe it will become somewhat privatized. The only way to fund inner-city / low income community schools will be to transform into profit centers. Put simply, the children will need to produce something. The work camps are coming. I'm not being facetious.

There will be two education systems - one for the rich, which exists to sort and prepare children for the caste system, and one for the poor, which exists to keep kids off the street, indoctrinate wage slaves, and which can only be sustained through involuntary labor.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Political correctness has become something administrators addicted to power have latched onto just have another thing to flog people with.

For some reason, history classes in K-12 stop with the end of WWII, ignore the Korean War, skip to then overdose on Vietnam, and generally just ignore any world history that doesn't involve Europeans conquering things that don't belong to them. Things like Columbus Day are still celebrated when we have access to contents of the man's abhorrent diaries.

Internet access to more information hasn't been applied correctly in my area and resulted with students becoming tech-reliant in a negative way. I have three friends who teach that have to constantly struggle with kids basically indoctrinated with the idea that they don't have to actually learn anything because they can just Google it.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    At least half the time kids spend in schools should be completely unstructured, with kids just having access to everything in the school and adults standing by to make sure nobody gets hurt and answer questions. Let kids' natural curiosity propel them to actually learn things concurrently with offering instruction in the bare fundamentals.

I spent so much time in school bored out of my mind while teachers taught the same things I'd already learned or tried to fill the time up with "busywork" or playing a movie at the front that for some reason we all just had to pay attention to and if we were reading a book or something that was unacceptable. Just imagine if we'd been allowed to explore things that interested us. It probably would have been less resource-intensive too.

Stop treating kids like they're prisoners, they're human beings that want to learn about their environments. We can still single out the ones who refuse to pick up reading and arithmetic and make them do it, but those standardized tests should just be an assessment tool for finding the kids that need extra help and not a performance evaluation for teachers and administrators.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    At least half the time kids spend in schools should be completely unstructured, with kids just having access to everything in the school and adults standing by to make sure nobody gets hurt and answer questions. Let kids' natural curiosity propel them to actually learn things concurrently with offering instruction in the bare fundamentals.

I spent so much time in school bored out of my mind while teachers taught the same things I'd already learned or tried to fill the time up with "busywork" or playing a movie at the front that for some reason we all just had to pay attention to and if we were reading a book or something that was unacceptable. Just imagine if we'd been allowed to explore things that interested us. It probably would have been less resource-intensive too.

Stop treating kids like they're prisoners, they're human beings that want to learn about their environments. We can still single out the ones who refuse to pick up reading and arithmetic and make them do it, but those standardized tests should just be an assessment tool for finding the kids that need extra help and not a performance evaluation for teachers and administrators.
    You mean like a Discovery School? http://www.discovery1.school.nz/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_1_School

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    It looks like the right direction but I mean completely unstructured. Like a bunch of cool toys just sitting around and any adults pretty much just staying out of the way.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    1) An environment that entrenches authority and arbitrary baseless rules. It seems geared to me towards creating a pacified workforce. Arbitrary schedules, times, topics. Even if you like a particular thing and are really getting into it "BRRRIIING", nup, onto other arbitrary thing now....why? because we say so. You cannot question the system or authority.
    2) An environment that entrenches only mixing with people of your own age, and gets you used to the fact that age will be the main determinant of your life-cycle, not ability, curiosity, development or merit.
    3) School needs grades and hierarchy. This means that everything needs to be whittled into this framework. This is horrible because it teaches kids the exact opposite of how one gets good at things and improve themselves (by trying and failing and experimenting until you get better and gain an understanding). Failure is penalized, and grades stick. You're told it will have an effect for the rest of your life. Additionally problematic is that this really doesn't let you deal with any topic that has significant creativity or ambiguity. Or rather, you can pretend to, but you'll essentially just end up implementing regimes that enforce the narratives of the current powers, because at the end of the day, even doing these activities aren't really the point. The point is to rank, and to rank the right people in the right way. Lord help you if you fall outside of this framework.

Type
    INTP
    Too much one size fits all which might be prohibitively expensive to fix. Lets say 6 possible High School curriculums.

1) I'm going to Harvard baby! Grueling 4 years of twice as hard as normal High School.
    2) Complete self study, student picks most of own subjects comes and goes to school as pleases, asks teacher for help when necessary. *Student must meet certain benchmarks and grade standards, can graduate year early.
    3) Blended class & self study, a nice mix of classroom style learning and self taught.
    4) Traditional style for future office workers
    5) Traditional style for future skilled blue collar trades.
    6) Traditional style but easier, for people that fall under 90 IQ and are likely to work fast food, Wal-Mart etc.