Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AI: Superintelligence - paths, dangers and strategies

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    How could an AI want anything other than what a human has programmed it to want?
    because it is learning from us right now

The clip below, created by a uni prof, is doing the rounds on the internet at the moment:

"Slaughterbot" Autonomous Killer Drones

Type
    INTP
    How could an AI want anything other than what a human has programmed it to want?
    Because it's not programming in the style you are thinking of. There are three great paradigms of programming, imperative (you say how to do it), declarative (you say what you want but not how to do it) and connectionist (you specify the performance metric). DNN's are of the connectionist school which means the computer 'programs' itself (it actually determines the weights for a neural architecture you choose, based on the performance metric you give it and the training samples you feed it). Consider AlphaGo which made a move that startled all the human players. Michael Redmond thought it was a mistake the handlers made in moving the stone on the physical board, but it was a brilliant move that experts later said no human would have made.

Edit: here's the move

Last edited by Architect; 11-22-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Type
    INTP
    You still have to give it the performance metrics, though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    You still have to give it the performance metrics, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect
    (you specify the performance metric)
    But this is a just a single simple function, cross entropy usually. A pat on the head but the real decisions are made with the weights. A stronger example is the training data, that's the easiest way to influence the network to self-program in a way you wish. Anyhow we'll probably use a variations of GAN's (Generative Adversarial Nets) for GAI which go off into a self training loop beyond human ken (AlphaGo is orders of magnitude better than any human now due to this).

Type
    INTP
    So basically, it might discover that in order to get really good at Go it needs to destroy all humans.

Type
    INFJ
    So basically, it might discover that in order to get really good at Go it needs to destroy all humans.
    yes

you know in the matrix films?

it never actually says that the machines forced humans into the matrix. Its just as possible that humans agreed to be plugged into the matrix to escape from an increasingly sabotaged reality

would some humans willingly merge with machines....yes they would

Type
    INTP
    Indeed

https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Paperclip_maximizer

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Wow. It would be pretty surreal to fight in an apocalyptic war to save humanity from an enemy bent on turning us into paperclips. Or imagine exploring space in the future and encountering a sentient galaxy made of alien paperclips.

Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    would some humans willingly merge with machines....yes they would
    Me, I would. I want a robotic spider body with a nuclear-powered hub to house my brain and balls.

Type
    INTP
    The belief I tend to have is that because humans discovered and use the Golden Rule to a great degree that GAI's will necessarily do so also, just because it works better. Or perhaps better said 'it's a more optimal winning strategy'. Democracy works better because it allows competing agents all succeed to the best of their circumstances and abilities, and when others succeed in a democracy that helps all. With AlphaGo zero we might see an indication of this idea, consider the following analysis by Michael Redmond and Chris Garlock

AlphaGo Zero self trained in the absence of any human data to 9d level. In Go this is a remarkable situation, it's an alien professional player, what moves would it come up with? For example the opening play is usually to the four star points but that's human convention, we don't know if there are other openings that are better. Turns out Zero's play is much like human play, to Mr Redmond's disappointment. It appears that playing the star points might actually be optimal opening play (Redmond isn't willing to say that but Garlach goes in that direction).

The point? Given a performance metric to succeed the computer necessarily learns good play much like humans. The discussion should then turn to politics or philosophy, what is the winning course of action, the destruction of human kind or to help human kind? The idea that humans are irrelevant I think is immature, my believe is GAI's will necessarily see the mutual benefit that comes with cooperation.

Type
    INFJ
    Me, I would. I want a robotic spider body with a nuclear-powered hub to house my brain and balls.
    well then i see you are well equipped to handle some really mind bending perspectives....