Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh, Japan? Don't take this the wrong way, but WTF is wrong with you?

Type
    XXXX

Uh, Japan? Don't take this the wrong way, but WTF is wrong with you?

I no longer need to know what would happen if all the INTPs of the world were put on an island.

Type
    INTP
    Then there's the whole radiation thing.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Then there's the whole radiation thing.

There's probably more radiation being emitted from coal powered power stations than's leaking from Fukushima.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...clear-disaster

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Type
    intp
    This still cracks me up.

Type
    INTP
    Japan???

Better than India gang rape.

Type
    INTP
    I need to do some reading on japanese culture because some of the stuff I've seen on the internet is too far out for me to latch on to.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Not that I'm any kind of expert here, but my understanding is:

What would be called "workaholism" even in American culture has long been normalized in Japanese culture. Their economy grew rapidly, and their middle class with it, after World War II, but this was achieved in part through what was basically a widespread, officially promoted transference of the old wartime neo-Bushido "my life for the cause" ethos from militaristic empire-building to the development of industry and commerce.

An economically and culturally influential subset of the population thus grew up with parents who went to their jobs at Toyota or Sony with more or less the mentality of a Kamikaze pilot getting in the cockpit. Sacrifices in "work-life balance" were the inevitable cost of this, and family relationships are the first thing to suffer, so a bit of a cynical attitude toward them is somewhat common among the Japanese equivalent of the "Baby Boom" generation. (Although there wasn't really a "boom" in population there after the war.)

A syncretic mix of these two memes--that privileging maximum productivity at your job over personal considerations like family and sexual relationships is healthy and normal, and that long-term relationships are inherently an unsatisfying, dysfunctional sham--has percolated down to the "X" and "Millennial" generations as well.

Then you throw in feminism, which the Japanese have, in effect, selectively imported from the West, taking only the parts they have uses for--for the wartime generation there was at least still the notion that a good soldier would obviously have a loyal wife to maintain the homefront, but Japanese women have now largely been "liberated" from this role so they can go compete with the men in the workaholic Kamikaze Kapitalism rat race.

In other words, my understanding is that the Japanese basically never have time for sex because they're always working.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    http://japaneseruleof7.com/sex-in-japan/

Basically reiterates the videos, but with interesting anecdotes. @mthomps, the blogger also talks about his personal experience with work, service, hierarchy, racism, fashion, etc. which might interest you.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    In other words, my understanding is that the Japanese basically never have time for sex because they're always working.
    I think it's inevitable given how small the country is commanding a consistently positive GDP. What you say Roger is mostly true among blue-collar laborers (as equivalent term in the US) especially mechanical operators. I don't know how to put it more succinctly but Japanese culture views sex as a plaything. A past time. Not a basic need. I guess it's remarkably changing with the younger generations. The gradual paradigm shift is interesting to note, methinks.

But their humor is....something.

Sorry. I.Can't.Help. *grins*