Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: let me cure your depression

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Ah. You know I read his book on drugs. That was before I found out he's a plagiarist. Seen some pretty harsh criticism of this new book now, from people I consider pretty trustworthy. E.g. https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/s...10391908114438
    https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Connecti...st+connections
    82% - 5 stars
    6% - 4 stars
    6% - 2 stars
    6% - 1 star

I'm reading through the ebook version... I came upon a sentence that had been highlighted nearly 60 times:

"Everything that causes an increase in depression also causes an increase in anxiety, and the other way around. They rise and fall together."

Hari, Johann. Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions (Kindle Locations 298-299). Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle Edition.
    BTW in that guardian article based on the book
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...st-connections
    I found this interesting:
    ....Obviously, the boss is going to be more stressed because he’s got more responsibility. But when Marmot published his results, he revealed the truth to be the exact opposite. The lower an employee ranked in the hierarchy, the higher their stress levels and likelihood of having a heart attack.

Type
    INTP
    So then one could just focus on mindfulness and presence, and relax and calm the self whenever stress was detected...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyhand View Post
    So then one could just focus on mindfulness and presence, and relax and calm the self whenever stress was detected...
    Yeah that would help but also Johann Hari talks about "nine causes of depression and anxiety" and it would be good for people to know what these problems are in their life to try and address them. Though perhaps they can't get a more suitable job (like me).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    In my experience, it's about getting stuck in some feedback loop where you are uninspired, so you do nothing, which makes you uninspired / etc.
    I think that's a symptom, expression of depression.

To fix it you need to start doing things again, and stop feeding that cycle of stuff.

The problem is that usually you just don't want to. And that's the irrational part, I guess.

I think kali's advice will work for a while because it's novel. I think that longer term you might want to take some kind of ptah approach (as I suppose it to be), where you almost kind of observe yourself from outside and stop allowing yourself to be a pathetic self-loathing thing, and instead to take charge of yourself and give yourself what you rationally need, even if you don't particularly feel like it.
    Agree in part.

It all manifests itself physically. The depressive woes start to color your perspective, initially. Curbing your worldview into something life-affirming and pragmatic helps but it's not the whole of the puzzle; there's also what tainted it. Meeting a threshold of optimal physiological health through nutrition, exercise, sleep and socializing is another. Lastly is balancing the action and in-action of your day-to-day. This takes more or less priority based on job satisfaction and the like. I've been both incredibly busy and not busy and neither have made me consistently happier than the other. We crave a certain degree of stress, sure, but there's an advantage in kicking back and engaging in what could be menial but rewarding, e.g. reading, cooking, hiking, sex. The little things in life. Grandiose projects have rarely made me happy.

Personally my happiness these days is at max when I'm well rested, like today. Was very depressed less than a year ago.
    Last edited by Faust; 02-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Eating well, sleeping well, exercising regularly, keeping myself and my environment clean, pushing myself out of my own comfort zone and believing in a purpose for my own existence - all of these are necessary to keep myself out of the blackness. All of them get harder the darker it gets. Swim or sink.

Type
    INTP
    I'm still reading the ebook:
    I was beginning to think there was something significant about the fact that grief and depression have identical symptoms. Then one day, after interviewing several depressed people, I asked myself: What if depression is, in fact, a form of grief—for our own lives not being as they should? What if it is a form of grief for the connections we have lost, yet still need?

Hari, Johann. Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions (Kindle Locations 910-913). Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle Edition.