Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: let me cure your depression

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Hey @kali where's week two?
    Since you're the only one that's really interested, you get to choose the topic this week, like a choose your own adventure:

1 -----> RETICULAR ACTIVATION - myelinating the highway to gratitude

2 -----> VIEWING MOOD THROUGH HOMEOSTATIC LENS - why constant high levels of happiness is not sustainable nor really desirable
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    1 -----> RETICULAR ACTIVATION - myelinating the highway to gratitude
    This one!

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner

WEEK 2 // Reticular Activation – myelinating the highway to gratitude

I was going to PM but I'll just make this public since I see lurkers.

Continue 6g fish oil + cold showers from week 1. The results aren’t super fast – you have to keep up with the habit and be patient. I’d say it’ll take 6 weeks before you see a remarkable difference.

Week 2 // Reticular Activation

Your focus determines your reality.

When you perceive reality, there is so much for your brain to process. We cannot take in everything otherwise it would be very taxing.

There is an area of the brain called the Reticular Activating System (RAS) which filters external stimuli to present you with only important information.

Now the brain is good at presenting you with information that you consciously try to focus on. I believe this is the basis behind confirmation bias & the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon (when you learn a new word and suddenly you see it everywhere).

Right now, your brain’s selective attention/focus is running on autopilot. The autopilot brain is one of anxiety.

The human brain is wired for anxiety, because anxiety is extremely helpful and beneficial for survival. A mild amount of anxiety is often an energizing force that motivates you to excel in an area you find important.

Excessive anxiety is the result of neurological habit loops of catastrophic thinking. Instead of being energizing, excessive anxiety can be paralyzing. Under excessive anxiety, your focus tends to be on imaginary scenarios of tragedy, which primes your reticular activating system to focus on the ways in which things can go wrong. And what you focus on becomes an actuality.

Once you get into the habit of catastrophic thinking, it becomes easy. This is because the neural pathways that substrate anxiety become myelinated with each activation.

A “cure” to this is to simply myelinate and strengthen another pathway in the brain: the cultivation of gratitude.

Gratitude is the act of focusing on all the great things in your life. Because there is a lot that you take for granted.

An easy way to cultivate gratitude is to focus on the “3 good things” that happened during your day.

So the task this week: Download the app “3 good things” (gratitude journal) and write down 3 good things that happen to you every day this week. Alternatively you can just open up a word document or write it down… Up to you. Also give a reason why it made you feel good.

By doing this you are making it easier for your brain to focus on all the good in life. The anxiety will still come easy to you, but so will newfound gratefulness and wonder for life. You are literally rewiring your brain to be happier.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Since you're the only one that's really interested
    Don't mistake our silence for being uninterested! We're grateful! stuck just likes to kiss the teacher's ass

Type
    xNxx
    Interesting, sounds good. The way I've learned gratitude lists is to focus them around people, like naming them and saying what I'm grateful for. Shifting the focus to events might feel different.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Don't mistake our silence for being uninterested! We're grateful! stuck just likes to kiss the teacher's ass
    It's true! Also, we're still waiting for @Utisz to catch up on groceries.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Guys I highly recommend this:

https://selfauthoring.com/

It's a series of writing exercises to explore your past/present/future self, backed by shitloads of scientific studies.

eg. I'm doing the "past authoring session" and the abstract is this:
    Spoiler: hi
    Memory, Emotion and Stress:

Your mind is always trying to determine the level of danger presented by your environment. When bad things happen to you, your mind and your body react by treating the environment as if it is dangerous, and preparing for emergency action. This preparation is stressful, and depletes you, mentally and physically.

If something bad has happened to you, in the past, your mind cannot be at peace until you have figured out how to avoid having the same thing happen to you again in the future. You can tell how well you have managed this by remembering different important events from the past. If you recall memories that make you feel ashamed, or guilty, or angry, or hurt, and these memories are more than a year and a half old, then your mind is not at peace, and you are still carrying the weight of your past.

Unresolved past issues make your mind and body react as if the day-to-day environment that you inhabit is permanently dangerous. Under such conditions, your body reacts to stress with more preparation for action: for fight or flight, which you may feel, respectively, as anger or fear and emotional pain. If this preparation becomes chronic, your mental and physical health can be damaged. This happens in part because your body produces more cortisol, a stress hormone, when you are endangered. Cortisol makes you ready to act, but your body gets the energy for such action by stealing from your future reserves. Cortisol shuts down your higher mental functions, inhibits your immune system, burns up your available energy and, over time, damages the brain areas responsible for memory and emotional control. Thus it is very important to keep your stress levels within reasonable boundaries.

I just purchased a 2 for 1 dealio, and have an extra set of login details - if anyone wants to try it for free PM/rep me! I only have 1 though so can only give it to one person

////lmao not an ad but this just seems promising

Type
    INTP
    I need more help.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Sinny

the only thing between you and what you want to achieve is a set of skills to be learned

If what you want to achieve is emotional stability, optimal functioning, and a general sense of fulfillment rather than deprivation, here are the set of skills you need to learn & practise on a daily basis (inc. rationale behind them: )

MIND / BODY

1. Sleep. Everything is moot if your sleep sucks.
    2. Exercise. If you hate life you have to fucking exercise. Even just start running 5-10 mins every couple of days, get the heart rate up. Exercise makes you smarter, fitter, sharper, happier, everything. Exercise benefits your body in all the ways that smoking destroys it
    3. Supplements. Supplements give you an advantage. Start with curcumin a day (powerful anti-inflammatory), astaxanthin [6mg](insane anti-oxidant), clean omega3[4-6g](has been proven to be an effective antidepressant if taken for 6+weeks), a good probiotic (gut is second brain etc google it).
    4. Cold showers. Just fucking do it even if you don’t think it makes a difference. It really does. My current theory is that it increases heart rate variability. Your body adapts to stress response easier when you train yourself to endure and even enjoy cold exposure. When you take cold showers, don’t just do it without thinking. Turn on the water. Feel the sensation of the coldness. Notice your whole body tensing up – now breathe and release the tension. How to breathe:
    5. Deep breathing. You don’t have to sit down to meditate. Just learn how to deep breathe. It’s great for you in many ways – google can attest to it, my laziness cannot right now. It’s easy as fux. Okay this is what you do. Next time you wake up, immediately drink 500ml water. Then deep breathe by doing this: inhale deeply into your diaphragm (important!) for 5 seconds, hold breath for 4 seconds, exhale 5 seconds, hold for 4 seconds. Do this cycle just 5 times.

MINDSET

1. Reprogram the images of your reality by practicing gratitude. Everything you experience in life is based on what you focus your attention on. This is important. If you always look for white crows (your attentional filter is alert on seeing white crows), you will miss the overwhelming abundance of black crows. Similarly, your attention has been habitualised to see the negative in life
    2. The mind/body is one entity - get rid of the dualist illusion. If you are physically unhealthy, you will be mentally unhealthy, vice versa. Take care of yourself.
    3. Concretise your ideal identity. You need to have a solid vision of what kind of person you need to be. This is where all your sense of purpose and meaning will fall upon. You can concretise your identity in two ways: 1. look through this list of values and write down the top 10 values that mean the most to you. This can't be discovered rationally, you just have to feel intuitively drawn to these values. Living life rationally sounds appealing to the Thinker, but doing so can make you deny what your body knows to be true to itself. The body knows more than you think. Just identifying these values will give you a stronger sense of self as defined by YOU rather than others. And 2. open up a word document and write down a complete vision of your ideal self without restriction. What kind of personality you want, what kind of things you want in your life, the people/partner you want in your life, the ideal job/home/pets/whateverthefuck. Be specific and be as wild as you want.
    4. Suffering and sadness is healthy. They are evolutionary adaptations to help the organism to learn from stress. Sometimes the sadness is warranted, sometimes it isn’t. When you are sad, ask yourself – why am I sad? Is there a good reason? If there is a reason: rectify the problem. If you can’t rectify the problem (like really can’t!) or there is no good reason, then learn how to sit through the sadness. The sadness always passes, like the rain. No mature adult cries over the rain. Which leads me to this…
    5. DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK. Not all of your thoughts are true. Your thoughts are spontaneously generated all the time. You don’t even have to challenge your thoughts. This might sound insane, but you can choose to believe what your brain tells you. This is how: stop asking if x is true or false. Ask if x is meaningful or meaningless. X is only meaningful if it is conducive to your goals and values. For example, if your brain generates the thought “I am worthless”, as yourself: is this thought conducive to my goal of being fulfilled? Is it conducive to my goal of having good relationships? No. Dismiss it in the same way you would dismiss a stranger coming up to you and telling you you’re bald (you know you’re clearly not, so you wouldn’t even give the thought credence).
    6. Look at your self-talk. Your self talk determines your reality. The person who keeps saying "I am bad at remembering names" WILL DEFINITELY BECOME BAD AT REMEMBERING NAMES. Start seeing yourself as a tabula rasa and then program the positive traits you want in your life. You will be fucking surprised as shit what happens when you do this
    7. Cultivate extreme ownership. This is important. Stop blaming others. When things go in your life, ask yourself how you contributed to it. This gives you a strong sense of responsibility & control. If you know how to caused it, you can find out to fix it. Extreme ownership is the ultimate antidote to learned helpnessness - a classic hallmark of depression.

SOCIAL

1. View people as fundamentally good. I know you probably hate most people, but that’s because your tendency to focus on the negative has conditioned you to believe that people suck. You are missing out on all the greatness and loveliness of people, even when they do bad things. Everyone is capable of good and bad. Be nice to people who are rude to you. Break them.

also don't forget to wear sunscreen

Type
    INTP
    Lol, ta!
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)