Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: let me cure your depression

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    This thread is a noble cause, but may I just point out that many symptoms of depression are similar to those of burnout syndrome/adrenal fatigue; treatments for which are often contrary to those for depression. In this particular case, exercise and cold showers will actually worsen your condition.

Suggested reading:
    Ways to bring yourself back from burnout

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Horatio

Thereís a big difference between voluntary vs. involuntary stimulation of the stress response. The former has been shown to be extremely beneficial because youíre challenging your body to grow stronger in a controlled way. The most important thing is to rest after voluntary stress - thatís where the growth happens.

So yeah definitely rest up and chill whenever possible - and defo dont overexercise. If you do feel really burnt out I recommend skipping exercise for 3 months and then resuming with mild exercise.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    This thread is a noble cause, but may I just point out that many symptoms of depression are similar to those of burnout syndrome/adrenal fatigue; treatments for which are often contrary to those for depression. In this particular case, exercise and cold showers will actually worsen your condition.

Suggested reading:
    Ways to bring yourself back from burnout
    I was under the impression adrenal fatigue was just quackery?
    ∴ ∵ ∴

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    [*]Cold showers. Just fucking do it even if you don’t think it makes a difference. It really does. My current theory is that it increases heart rate variability. Your body adapts to stress response easier when you train yourself to endure and even enjoy cold exposure. When you take cold showers, don’t just do it without thinking. Turn on the water. Feel the sensation of the coldness. Notice your whole body tensing up – now breathe and release the tension.
    I've been taking cold showers after I work out to stop the sweating, and I'd estimate it's usually like 5-10C. But today I got some seriously ice cold water, it made my head hurt and my fingers started going numb. It was hard to control my breathing and I felt all tingly afterward. Did you get this idea from Wim Hof?

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I've been taking cold showers after I work out to stop the sweating, and I'd estimate it's usually like 5-10C. But today I got some seriously ice cold water, it made my head hurt and my fingers started going numb. It was hard to control my breathing and I felt all tingly afterward. Did you get this idea from Wim Hof?
    I got the idea from many sources but I am a fan of Wim Hof. See my sig, I've had it for a year or so. If cold showers aren't working for you, you can stop. Like with anything use your discretion and YMMV. I will say that complications aren't always a bad thing. Moderate running gives me nausea sometimes but I don't take it as an indication to stop.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I got the idea from many sources but I am a fan of Wim Hof. See my sig, I've had it for a year or so. If cold showers aren't working for you, you can stop. Like with anything use your discretion and YMMV. I will say that complications aren't always a bad thing. Moderate running gives me nausea sometimes but I don't take it as an indication to stop.
    Oh, I can stop? lol thanks

I don't see sigs, I was just curious. I've never heard of cold shower therapy before, I was just doing it to stop the sweating but now I have something new to explore.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Oh, I can stop? lol thanks

I don't see sigs, I was just curious. I've never heard of cold shower therapy before, I was just doing it to stop the sweating but now I have something new to explore.
    Lol anytime.

A benefit is now showers are super short and my skin doesn’t get as dry because of scalding hot showers

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    I always rinse my hair in cold water when I wash it, but I usually try not to get my whole body wet. The other day we had freezing temps and I went for whole body immersion. I felt tingly and short of breath, just like p_p described. It was interesting.

On the other hand, a long, hot shower a few times per week is my chief sensual pleasure in life, so I don't think I'll casually forego it. My skin can just dry out. IDGAF.

On the other, other hand, I've been swimming in 70 degree spring water, and I love it. One day I was kind of chilly to begin with and when I went for a swim I think my body compensated so well that I felt perfectly warm after a few minutes. And not like an exertion warmth; it felt like a total temperature adjustment.

A few more thoughts on this: Some of the prenatal yoga I did included endurance exercise, simple stuff like holding your arms at shoulder height for several minutes. In retrospect it helped a lot and I wish I had done more of it.

Also I wonder If people who have played sports have a lower incidence of depression just because they have physically experienced training themselves to push past pain to meet goals.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Also I wonder If people who have played sports have a lower incidence of depression just because they have physically experienced training themselves to push past pain to meet goals.
    Yeah definitely no question. The social aspect, the routine exercise. Think of the neurogenesis...