Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: let me cure your depression

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Think of the neurogenesis...
    I can't say I've been much impressed with the neurogenesis of most athletes I meet. But then again, I don't know where they'd be if they didn't have that so...
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I can breathe just fine in cold showers now, but they still give me headaches. It's like an ice cream headache. Also they make my balls ache but that's not as bad. The stuff I'm reading says it's not harmful so I'm gonna keep pushing it.

Type
    INTP
    Depression is largely people thinking that there is something wrong with them being miserable, thus amplifying their misery. Why can't I see my life in a positive light? Because your life sucks ass, obviously. Wth do you expect, to like getting up to go to a pointless job in the morning? Things are actually better once you realize this because you don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to fix your vision.

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Depression is largely people thinking that there is something wrong with them being miserable, thus amplifying their misery. Why can't I see my life in a positive light? Because your life sucks ass, obviously. Wth do you expect, to like getting up to go to a pointless job in the morning? Things are actually better once you realize this because you don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to fix your vision.
    Agree

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    Ah. You know I read his book on drugs. That was before I found out he's a plagiarist. Seen some pretty harsh criticism of this new book now, from people I consider pretty trustworthy. E.g. https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/s...10391908114438

Ah. You know I read his book on drugs. That was before I found out he's a plagiarist. Seen some pretty harsh criticism of this new book now, from people I consider pretty trustworthy. E.g. https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/s...10391908114438
    I still believe in the point he's trying to make

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    I still believe in the point he's trying to make
    I mean yeah. It's really complicated but I think there's no question that beliefs matter and people can beat depression without drugs. I wrote my take on it from experience. I was depressed to the point of insanity for months, then my beliefs changed and it was reduced say 90%. The belief that changed? That there was anything wrong with me. I decided it was the world, not me. Cured my depression right up.

On the other hand, I think I have what may be an innate tendency to experience dysphoria. I don't let it get on top of me any more, but it's still there like it always was. It's very hard to recognize, because it doesn't announce itself at all and it's extremely difficult to systematically compare it to alternatives. I'll be walking around thinking about how pointless and hopeless everything is, how I can't do anything, etc. and it will just seem like these are true thoughts. Maybe they are. But it's also true that I am experiencing dysphoria. It's taken forever for me to become aware of that and I probably still fail to realize it most of the time. The only thing that saves me is knowing in my bones that curling up in the dark won't help, I have to keep moving.

Type
    INTP
    You can be depressed without realizing it, though...
    ...and you can be depressed when your life doesn't suck.

It isn't exclusively mental, which is why some of the non-mental therapies that kari recommends are effective.
    IME, depression is mental, physical and spiritual...not any of these by itself. Targeting one or the other face of it may help, but you don't resolve it until you see it from all 3 sides.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Please cure me.

Type
    intp
    In my experience, it's about getting stuck in some feedback loop where you are uninspired, so you do nothing, which makes you uninspired / etc.

To fix it you need to start doing things again, and stop feeding that cycle of stuff.

The problem is that usually you just don't want to. And that's the irrational part, I guess.

I think kali's advice will work for a while because it's novel. I think that longer term you might want to take some kind of ptah approach (as I suppose it to be), where you almost kind of observe yourself from outside and stop allowing yourself to be a pathetic self-loathing thing, and instead to take charge of yourself and give yourself what you rationally need, even if you don't particularly feel like it.