Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control

Type
    INTP

Birth Control

I have nothing against it in theory. I love it in theory. I believe that birth control, the washing machine, and the internet have revolutionized society, in that order and with the internet coming in at a distant third.

So yeah. Birth control. Would never never ever want to go back to the way things were before.

But in practice....

These are your options:

1. Natural Planning Method. Notorious for being unreliable but actually can be quiet effective if you're highly motivated and OCD and have enough time on your hands to take daily measures of your temperature, vaginal secretions, mood, etc., and chart it all out. Must be ok with altering sexual activities accordingly.

2. Oral contraceptives. Dangerous side effects at high doses, but my understanding is that the doses tend to be much lower these days. Appropriate if you have no pre-existing vascular conditions such as high blood pressure or a clotting disorder. But then at a low dose it's all the more imperative that you take the right pill at the right time every damn day. Not suitable for absent-minded types (eg, most INTPs). Still have some hormonal side effects.

3. Other hormonal methods. Put your body into a more or less continous state of pseudopregnancy. YMMV in terms of appetite changes (food and otherwise), skin changes, mood changes, etc. Some women choose it primarily for the amenorrhea. But then you can swing into a phase of irregular and prolonged bleeding, disrupted vaginal flora, and mutant yeast infections from hell. >_< And then you have the delivery method:

- The rod. A small object gets inserted into your arm, much like a science fiction tracking device. You can feel it under your skin. It's pretty rad. Problematic scarring can make it a bitch to get out in a minority of users.

-The IUD (intra-uterine device). A small, pointy object sits inside your uterus. Feel for the threads coming out of your cervix to reassure yourself that it's in place. However, the nagging fear that every cramp or random abdominal pain could be the beginnings of a uterine perforation or ectopic pregnancy will never really go away.

-The shot. Have to go to the Dr to get it every three months. More likely to end up in a surprise pregnancy, even if you never miss a dose.

4. Copper IUD. Fewer (any?) hormonal side effects. IUD as per above. Edit: Can actually cause heavier than normal periods.

5. Tubal ligation. Abdominal surgery with all the risk and recovery that that entails. Very very difficult and expensive to reverse if you ever change your mind. Your crafty body can still find away to reconnect your fallopian tubes in some cases, and then surprise!

6. That other procedure, what's it called, in which the Dr inserts a scar-generating spiral into each fallopian tube in an attempt to encourage the body to fill it in with scar tissue and permanently seal it off. Can have very bad side effects if done incorrectly.

7. Condoms and other barrier methods. Reduce sensation. Almost never used correctly (ie, put it on before any genital-to-genital contact whatsoever) because they reduce sensation.

8. Spermicidal sponge. Better than a condom in terms of sensation. Probably way more expensive. Must remember to put it in and take it out at the correct times to achieve effectiveness and prevent complications.

9. Vasectomy! Requires male partner(s) to be on board. Side effects usually mild but can be more troublesome. Much easier to reverse than a tubal, and with the same possibility that the body might heal itself and reconnect the severed tubes.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 10-28-2017 at 03:08 AM.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I disagree, I've been using "the shot" for 7 years, never had any side effects (apart from when coming off it for a year) and I've never fell pregnant on it (or off it when late - sometimes a couple of months late)
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    - The rod. A small object gets inserted into your arm, much like a science fiction tracking device. You can feel it under your skin. It's pretty rad.

I got this. Implanon.

Implanon messed with my mood. It made me suicidal. I went back to my doctor after 3 weeks and begged him to remove it. He insisted that I keep it in.

I kept it in. Mood got really bad. I go to a different doctor and beg him to remove it. He tries, but the implant was inserted too deeply. He digs around my arm with a scalpel. He tells me if he tries to cut any deeper, he might sever a nerve and paralyse my whole arm.

He refers me to the emergency ward of a local hospital. I wait 8 hours to see a doctor. She removes the implant in a 5 minute procedure.

However, I still indulged in suicidal ideation. A week after that. My boyfriend at the time opens up my laptop. He sees my last google search: "can you survive jumping from a 9 story building". We lived on the 9th floor of our apartment at the time.

He has a mental breakdown. He kicks me out of the apartment a few days later. Tells me we need a break, and that he still loves me.

A month later I go back to the apartment to retrieve some of my stuff. He has packed away all my belongings in the closet.

Then I notice something which stops my heart...

I find earrings on the table.
    My ears aren't pierced.
    I find girl's undies in the bin.
    They aren't mine.

Implanon changed my life for the better. It shook it up big time. Before, I lived a life of happy stagnation. Now, I feel freedom, with all its joys and horrors.

I haven't been suicidal since. I'm not really scared of anything anymore. Except really fast cockroaches.

Still, I will never mess with my fucking hormones ever again.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    I've been using Natural Cycles diligently for about a month now, the data insights are cool enough to continue whether I'm sexually active or not. But I would only use this as a birth control method within a long-term monogamous relationship, where both parties agree as to what happens in the event of failure.

Type
    INTP
    Wouldn't like the implant, all my friends had it.

Things like that gross me out (being able to feel it).
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

I know a lot of women who are pretty sold on IUDs. Initially a lot of MDs wouldn't place them in women who hadn't had kids, so I was turned down when I asked. I've used other long-acting methods instead--pills would never work for me, so I've never even tried.

Type
    INFP
    10. Work a seasonal shift at Toys R' Us
    It was a warehouse sized echo chamber of wailing children and exhausted mothers. One woman, finally reaching her turn in the line of my register looks me dead in the eye, and says entirely unsolicited: "Best form of birth control."

I still believe her.

/male anecdote complete

Type
    INTP
    Natural Cycles

Naww, is a little Limxx in the making?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Natural Cycles

Naww, is a little Limxx in the making?
    It will be harvested for stem cells.

Type
    INTP
    Fuckin ell.

Lol.

That's evil.