Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Birth Control

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    1. Natural Planning Method. Notorious for being unreliable but actually can be quiet effective if you're highly motivated and OCD and have enough time on your hands to take daily measures of your temperature, vaginal secretions, mood, etc., and chart it all out. Must be ok with altering sexual activities accordingly.
    Would a typical gynecologist make fun of me if I told them I'm going to do this?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    I just gave up my 3/4 year attempt to acclimate to the new type of pill that the gynecologist said would have no side effects. It actually had a pretty big side effect! My last period lasted over a month and a half. I googled it, and apparently this happens to about 1/2 of women on this type of pill. Luckily I had some of my previous pills left, so I've switched back.
    OMG this is sorta my case and I thought I was just dying. Huh.

I have to get to a professional sometime before I bleed to death.

Chilean health care, looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INtP
    Would a typical gynecologist make fun of me if I told them I'm going to do this?
    Depends on how open you are with having an unplanned pregnancy. Also you'd need to get off the hormones, track your natural cycles while using some other form of birth control (i.e. condoms), to ensure you have a predictable cycle.

There is a great book, Taking Charge of your Fertility that explains how to do everything. I used natural family planning to try to conceive. The bugger about nfp is that the signs can confirm you have ovulated (chart shows a temp spike). Your most fertile time is the three days prior to ovulation, and sperm can live within you for five days. You can try to track cervical mucous to predict the fertile days but you don't know until after the fact. Then you use last months dates to predict next months.

There is a pretty big window in which you have to abstain or use condoms. But after you confirm ovulation it would be pretty safe to bang away until you get your period.

Temping is a huge pain in the ass. There's rules about when you need to take it for it to be accurate.

I always ovulated between day 17-19, but I'm so very much done having kids. Relying on that as my sole bc makes me nervous, even being regular as I was. What efficacy rate are you comfortable with?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    OMG this is sorta my case and I thought I was just dying. Huh.

I have to get to a professional sometime before I bleed to death.

Chilean health care, looking forward to it.
    At first when I googled the side effects it just came up with "irregular bleeding," which I thought meant a day of period now and then, or maybe a few days. It's confusing that a month+ falls under the label of "irregular bleeding." But then I looked up a study and found that this was what they meant.

I'm surprised it's so common - seems like a really major problem that kind of goes under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Depends on how open you are with having an unplanned pregnancy. Also you'd need to get off the hormones, track your natural cycles while using some other form of birth control (i.e. condoms), to ensure you have a predictable cycle.

There is a great book, Taking Charge of your Fertility that explains how to do everything. I used natural family planning to try to conceive. The bugger about nfp is that the signs can confirm you have ovulated (chart shows a temp spike). Your most fertile time is the three days prior to ovulation, and sperm can live within you for five days. You can try to track cervical mucous to predict the fertile days but you don't know until after the fact. Then you use last months dates to predict next months.

There is a pretty big window in which you have to abstain or use condoms. But after you confirm ovulation it would be pretty safe to bang away until you get your period.

Temping is a huge pain in the ass. There's rules about when you need to take it for it to be accurate.

I always ovulated between day 17-19, but I'm so very much done having kids. Relying on that as my sole bc makes me nervous, even being regular as I was. What efficacy rate are you comfortable with?
    Thanks for the info, so nevermind. I don't want to take any chances.

I guess migraines it is.

Type
    InTP
    Thanks for the info, so nevermind. I don't want to take any chances.

I guess migraines it is.

When we got off hormonal birth control and tried to do natural family planning we did end up getting pregnant within the first 3 months. I do think we are to blame for not really taking all the precautions seriously especially at the beginning since you are the most fertile the months right after you stop taking bc. We've continued tracking her temperature and checking cervical mucous now for a year and a half and its been working since... I know this isn't a great endorsement but I do think hormonal birth control fucks women up in a way that doctors neglect. I think its crazy that some girls have been on birth control since they were teenagers and have no idea what it feels like to be off of it. The girls I know who have gotten off birth control say its like night and day. But its hard not to think of it as a decision between migraines and a frivolous abortion.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    INtP
    There are so many different formulations of birth control. I'd hope it would be possible to find one that didn't make someone feel shitty.