View Poll Results: How do you pronounce February?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an American and I say Feb-u-ary

9 37.50%
  • I'm an American and I say Feb-ru-ary

6 25.00%
  • I'm a foreigner and I say Feb-u-ary

5 20.83%
  • I'm a foreigner and I say Feb-ru-ary

4 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February pronunciation

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    What is this. Next thing you'll want to pronounce aluminium "aluminum"!
    I'm an American, and I don't want to pronounce aluminium incorrectly. "Aluminum" feels like the word is getting clogged up in my mouth. I'll use it casually, but if want to be understood the first time, "aluminium" it is.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    yes yes but what about Wednesday?

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Upon further consideration I use both interchangeably.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    I'm an American, and I don't want to pronounce aluminium incorrectly. "Aluminum" feels like the word is getting clogged up in my mouth. I'll use it casually, but if want to be understood the first time, "aluminium" it is.
    I object to the use of 'correct' correlating with the way Brits pronounce aluminum, with the implication that 'aluminum' is incorrect. You can't give these limey relevance-clinging pedants an inch! There was a debate about the pronunciation of 'aluminum' from it's coinage as an English term.

In September 1812, fellow British scientist Thomas Young wrote a review of Davy's book, which was published anonymously in the Quarterly Review, a British literary and political periodical, in which he objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium: "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound.
    -Wikipedia, obv.

This was just another case of classist classicists policing the unwashed plebs doing the scientific heavy lifting! Both pronunciations are acceptable and 'correct.'
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 10-30-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: I have no life

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    how would "feb-ru-ary" be pronounced? like "fe-brew-ary" ? cuz i definitely don't say that but i also don't say "feb-u-ary" like "fe-boo-ary" ? the way i say it is like a soft r. it's probably closer to the second one ("feb-ruary").

sorry, those sound stupid in my head so i wanna know.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    how would "feb-ru-ary" be pronounced? like "fe-brew-ary" ?
    yes

cuz i definitely don't say that but i also don't say "feb-u-ary" like "fe-boo-ary" ?
    I meant feb-you-ary. I think I'm going back to that.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    When they started pushing more words and turns of phrase into the collective consciousness of the language in the dynamism that is English (it's open source, widespread use wins!) - I think it was at the turn of the twentieth century, I remember reading out of it.
    Hope Gee, I hope I'm not coming out of left field.
    I blame Roosevelt for leading America out of The Great Depression. That man's all that and a bag of chips. Yep!
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    I don't see a poll on my mobile. I say Febber-wary

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I object to the use of 'correct' correlating with the way Brits pronounce aluminum, with the implication that 'aluminum' is incorrect. You can't give these limey relevance-clinging pedants an inch! There was a debate about the pronunciation of 'aluminum' from it's coinage as an English term.

-Wikipedia, obv.

This was just another case of classist classicists policing the unwashed plebs doing the scientific heavy lifting! Both pronunciations are acceptable and 'correct.'
    Sir, your argument has a fatal flaw. Specifically, I agree wholeheartedly with British scientist Thomas Young.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Sir, your argument has a fatal flaw. Specifically, I agree wholeheartedly with British scientist Thomas Young.
    mfw I'm arguing with some rando and it turns out to be Heff

https://i.imgur.com/CpB3F7F.gifv