Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performing Academic Research

Type
    INTP

Performing Academic Research

I don't know if this really needs to be a thread in itself, but here goes.

I'm just now taking the CITI training to be a for real researcher, and their little training vignette videos are really funny. People who are obviously not actors just doing their best bitchy, over-worked, selfish, stressed out academic impression.

I will post any more seemingly relevant or amusing observations as I go.

People who do research, feel free to contribute.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I like thinking up words and phrases for keyword searches. I've found some interesting things doing that in legal research, but the results depend on how good you are at that and it's difficult to teach. There's less medical literature than legal so it probably wouldn't work as well with that but I haven't been to the medical library in decades and the free online medical stuff is just a fraction of what's in my local medical library.

I need to find the closest library that the public has access to where there's free LexisNexis. The Science Industry and Business library near me hasn't provided access to it in years. Also, there's a legal database, I think also from LexisNexis, of briefs that the legal library I used to go to doesn't provide access to, and I read that a day pass to a college library won't even help me because LexisNexis only allows students to use it in colleges. I have to double check that.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    Can you access PubMed or CINAHL?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    PubMed, the free online database? Yes, but that's what I mean by only a fraction of the medical literature. Maybe it's a large fraction. I forgot.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    PubMed, the free online database? Yes, but that's what I mean by only a fraction of the medical literature. Maybe it's a large fraction. I forgot.
    I believe it's a large fraction...

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    PubMed is just a search engine/index. It'll point you to the title and the abstract of a paper, but you may need to still pay for the full-text depending on how it was published (unless you're in a network with subscriber access). They don't actual host any papers, they just let you search for papers across various publishers.

So much of research is so dumb.

Type
    INTP
    Sometimes authors are given the right to publish their paper on their own website so you could Google for something you found on PubMed and you may find the full article for free somewhere.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yup. That's pretty common in CS but (a) it's only for preprints, (b) some dumbasses don't publish on their homepage, (c) the official DOI still goes to the paywall where you pay like US$50 or something to read the paper.

That said, I have never and will never directly pay for access to an article and mostly finding homepage preprints through Google Scholar works perfectly fine 90% of the time; otherwise I use the university network that has a subscription.

Of course though practically nobody pays directly for access to papers, we all pay indirectly for such access since public libraries pay exorbitant amounts of money for blanket subscriptions for shit that people may or may not read; but publishers know that nobody gives a shit since it's not their money, nor even the money of their research grants.

Still folks are slowly getting pissed about having to pay to access publicly-funded research results. The solution they've come up with is worse: requiring open access ... publishers offer these open access models where you, as an author, having done all the actual work of writing and typsetting the paper, make a blood sacrifice of your youngest PhD student so that they'll make the paper available online to the public for free (more specifically, you need to pay something typically around US$2000 a paper or US$50 a page upfront whereas before it was free and they milked the libraries for subsciptions instead). I have no fucking clue how this open access bullshit came about, like just another way for everyone to bend over and take it from the publishers. At least before authors didn't need to pay for publishing and they could publish the paper for free on their homepages; it just shifts the burden from libraries to the funds of individual researchers. Maybe it's a start though like now researchers will realise how bullshit the whole thing is.

Anyways, the days of for-profit academic publishers are numbered and they fucking know it.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ... i.e., don't get me fucking started, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I've become a relative convert to Web of Science. It does a typical search like you would in PubMed or Google Scholar, but once you pick a reference, it allows you to find everything that has cited a particular paper and easily access all of that paper's references.