Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks.

Type
    IXTP
    Instead of using a space heater this winter, get an electric blanket.

A space heater uses about 1000 watts to unevenly heat an area, whereas an electric blanket only uses 60-120 watts.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Instead of using a space heater this winter, get an electric blanket.

A space heater uses about 1000 watts to unevenly heat an area, whereas an electric blanket only uses 60-120 watts.
    There's a nice one on sale at Kohls
    https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-11...recs-pdp-gtab2

Type
    INfj
    also on the topic of saving on electricity, replace all your lightbulbs with LED ones, even if they haven't burned out yet. They use about 80-90% less power and last longer. They cost like 8 bucks. Mine paid for themselves in a month and a half. (doesn't work as well if your rent includes electricity but hey it's good for the environment I guess)
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    xxxx

Sandwich life hack

When making a sandwich, always separate the bread and filling with a lipid barrier. This way liquid doesn't soak through and make the bread soggy. So always butter the bread, or add cheese, something like that. I'm not sure if this is just completely obvious to most people, but I never really thought of it
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    xxxx

Social life hack

If you want to get someone to like you, ask them for a small favour. Like ask to borrow a pencil. In their mind they will rationalise that the only reason they are helping you out is because they like you.

This is called the Ben Franklin effect
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    If you want to get someone to like you, ask them for a small favour. Like ask to borrow a pencil. In their mind they will rationalise that the only reason they are helping you out is because they like you.

This is called the Ben Franklin effect
    Heh, this has the opposite effect on me. It immediately puts me into a "fuck off" attitude. I think I can be quite generous, but I hate being imposed upon, as I seldom impose upon others.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Put leftovers in stainless steel bowls and refrigerate uncovered so they cool off quickly. You can also put the bowl in another bowl of ice or ice water. I keep this regulation, I think from Virginia, in my notes as guidance: Cool from "135F to 70F within 2 hours and to 41F within a total of 6 hours."
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Wear a belt pouch without a belt by sewing two buttons on your pants and making a button-on minibelt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    If you want to fit in faster at a new office--and your job is such that this tip is relevant--have a candy dish with candies in it readily available. People will stop by, ask if it's ok, you say "yes" and smile, and they leave with a better impression of you. Fair warning: it frequently involves some amount of small talk, regularly throughout the day. The candy is the vector for letting them initiate small talk by making you look friendly. This will lead to better conversations over time within a day or so.

I've also used this method to good effect in conditions where a candy dish wouldn't have worked out, by using the gramma method of always having individually wrapped candies on hand, and proffering them regularly when initiating conversation. I favored strawberry candies over butterscotch--mints are a little risky but often work well for this purpose. If someone seems embarrassed or offended by an offer of a mint, just smile and say something like, "Consider it proof I like talking to you." Never offer mints or candies without eating one yourself, and in the case of mints, always eat one first, then proffer one as if an afterthought, especially if offering in self-defense.

Another cute candy trick I had done on me:

Eat Skittles or M&M's--one of the small bags of course--or whatever similar candies are available. The key feature is that there be multiple types/colours, loose, randomized, and that it be common to have prejudices one way or another about the variations. Skittles are definitely the safer play because you're less likely to stumble on awkward unintended inferences. Pick a type you either dislike or to dislike, and snack away avoiding that type. Initiate conversation.

At some point in the conversation, mention the ones you dislike (when done to me, they hated on the orange skittles). Offer to share. If they take you up on it, pour some into their hand. Thanks to your selective consumption, there is a high probability of the type you disliked being most of what they get.

Easy laugh.

I'm honestly still not sure if it was accidental or not. But thinking on it, realized it could be done deliberately.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    If you like sandwiches but still don't use enough bread before it starts getting stale, try tortillas. They last several weeks in the fridge and a quick warm up in the microwave makes them ready for whatever you want to put on them. Just roll em up.

Write a few quick letters to people you care to stay in touch with during the holidays. The fact its an actual letter and the holidays and you bothered means they'll know you give a small damn. Only a signed Christmas card can convey the opposite message IMO.

Don't get a pet until you have time and space to give it a decent life. A free pet right now is one of the least free things there is, don't impulse obtain a pet unless you've put some thinking time into it up front.

if you've got a mate, try not to go to bed angry. It's an accurate cliche'.

If you think the entire world is bad and everyone is stupid, look for ways to improve yourself. You might be projecting.

Don't sweat the small shit unless you're a brain surgeon.