Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You annoy me

Type
    INTP
    What should they be doing out about relapses exactly? I'm not sure I understand how that's AA's fault that someone relapsed...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBibbit View Post
    What should they be doing out about relapses exactly? I'm not sure I understand how that's AA's fault that someone relapsed...
    If a program that claims to treat alcohol addiction has a high percentage of recidivism, is that a good program?

At what point do you stop blaming a physicians track record on shitty patients?
    Every master plan has one overarching contingency that will be required for success: desenrascanço. In light of this, it is tempting to skip the planning phase and just make desenrascanço your master plan. I don't recommend this, but it has worked out for me in the past to an alarming degree. The problem is it keeps you too focused on the short term to ever improve your situation in the long.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If a program that claims to treat alcohol addiction has a high percentage of recidivism, is that a good program?

At what point do you stop blaming a physicians track record on shitty patients?
    what do you want them to do people? follow someone around and watch them 24/7? people come and go as they please.

when i first went, i was pushed into it by other people. my sponsor said there is a good chance i'll go back and try to drink again. he said he was not certain i was an alcoholic and that only i could determine that. part of the process is determining if you are even an alcoholic and examining yourself.

when i got nailed for my second dui, i went back a second time on my own. i've now been dry over a year and never looked back. i don't even really go to meetings anymore. the teachings are valuable. and it really comes down to a person by person situation. generally most of the people that have stuck with it have gotten into situation where the problems alcohol created in their lives outweighed any benefit alcohol gave them by such a large amount it finally made sense to abstain.

yes people relapse. life happens. friends/family die. people get fired or layed off. divorced. whatever possibly could trigger them to drink can and will happen.

i cannot understand why people shit on it though. they call it a cult. then they are mad when AA doesn't chase someone down who relapses and force them to stop drinking again...ok. it's free therapy and a chance to talk about your problems to an open and accepting group, many of which have went through the same things as you. i'll say this again, FREE therapy, from someone who isn't a therapist on their high horse, that can't fucking relate to you, and frankly doesn't give 2 shits about you other than the 100 dollar check you right them at the end of every hour.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I find that people who are constantly worried about being cheated on are the ones most likely to cheat.
    You found that out Tamxx