Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miniature cooking videos

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

miniature cooking videos

THE APPEAL OF MINIATURE COOKING

+ ASMR: for those who get the ~tingles~ (i don't) apparently watching these videos is one way to get your fix.
    + desire for control / "attainable perfection" to counter the chaos of everyday life. for some, the process of creating these mini dishes and watching the videos is therapeutic and relaxing. personally, i definitely get this, as a huge fan of the sims games.
    + it's just f*cking adorable and there's some absurdity and humor in seeing these huge fingers preparing these tiny meals, the ingredients being much larger than the dishes and basically everything in proportions that feel totally off compared to reality. some of these videos feel a lot to me like little surrealist films. it's bizarre and fun to imagine preparing that meal or sitting at that table.

(this is a summary based on what i've read and felt from watching these videos.)

LINKS

+ youtube account miniature space that set off a worldwide trend, according to some articles
    ^ alternative link: yt playlist

+ tiny kitchen cooking show on tastemade. each video comes with a recipe

(will add more as i find them.)

----------

(my original OP, before adding in the summary & links above)

mini roast turkey

mini spicy beef noodle soup

^ edited: posting links for these cuz you can't play them outside yt

anybody else into these miniature cooking videos? i stayed up last night watching these and idek why.

i'll post more of the ones i find satisfying as i watch them, and i invite you to do the same.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-03-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    I found a miniature interior design video

"All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

japanese chicken curry

... i think i'll make some soon, without the chicken obv.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i found an article discussing this yt channel, miniature space, and what the appeal of these videos might be.

this part stood out to me, the idea that the appeal is all about "attainable perfection."

What makes Miniature Space so captivating to so many viewers is that for a scant few minutes, we get to see someone achieve perfection. According to miniature retailer Mo Tipton, they show “a level of control we can never really attain in ‘real life’ … Here’s a world where things really can be perfect with enough tweaking, and then they stay that way!” There is an irreconcilable conflict at the heart of working with miniatures, Tipton tells us: “It’s about as far removed as you can get from the chaos of real life, but at the same time it requires you to be a very attentive observer of real life if you hope to capture that in your miniature art. It’s a cool paradox and one that’s really fun to play with as an artist.”

Ronay echoed Tipton’s sentiment:

“Sometimes making a cake in a real kitchen can be a chaotic thing. You’ve got flour everywhere, you’ve got ingredients everywhere, and sometimes you can lose control over things. But seeing a miniature food preparation area and a little tiny stove and everything kind of makes you feel like you’ve got some sort of control. It doesn’t matter if your life is chaotic or not … It’s very reassuring to think, ‘This is a world that I can control. Maybe my life is a mess or stuff’s going crazy. But this tiny thing? I’ve got control over that. I’ve got my hands around it. I can deal with it.’”

Miniature Space’s videos allow the viewer to feel this sense of control, a relief for the majority of people, whose lives are shaped by the forces of nature, aging and economic systems in which they’re an unremarkable statistic. If working with and creating fake, plastic food allows these miniatures creators to feel a comforting amount of agency, then creating real food—something that is not only nourishing but enticing, on furniture so small, is nothing short of a minor triumph—and probably still cheaper than therapy.
    totally.

i only came across this phenomenon last night. i might edit the OP with a summary of what i've learned / am learning about this, later.

^ the most popular "miniature space" video, strawberry shortcake

^ this video appears in the article, deep-fried chicken

^ this is another hamburger video but i think it's better than the first one i posted... i gasped when i saw he was washing his fingers with real suds in the sink.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

ankake yakisoba

shabu shabu. oh my god. there's something very surreal about this, like the "huge" carrot coin...

Type
    INTP
    .... :-O

But it seems like you would have less control. Like, I can feel my hand trembling just thinking about trying to control those tiny instruments.

Edit: I did really love my doll house when I was younger. It was definitely more like a hobby than like a toy.

Edit edit: Something about affordability. I mean, obviously I couldn't afford a three-story house full of furniture when I was twelve, but I/my parents could afford miniature furniture and items. And I could cut pictures out of magazines in place of paintings.

I mean, I guess I see control as being part of an obsession with miniatures in general, but actually cooking seems like it would throw all sorts of additional variables into it.

...I am fascinated. Now I want to watch all these videos. Crap, and I have work to do.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    He needs a three wick tealight like this.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Definitely relevant:

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

^ lol, that miniature "oh shit" moment when the person first makes a mistake flipping the pancake.

^ bulgogi
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Edit: I did really love my doll house when I was younger. It was definitely more like a hobby than like a toy.
    speaking of kids' toys, i actually wonder if this is a good way to teach kids* how to cook and get them interested in cooking for themselves (with some direction and supervision).

i had miniature cooking toys about the same size when i was a kid, but they weren't functional. all these mini cooking supplies just seem super fun to play with, and as a toy it seems pretty cool, considering one cooking step would take seconds - a few minutes at most.

* or even adults.