Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Composition of Your Diet(s)

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Composition of Your Diet(s)

I've tried a wide variety of strange/extreme diets. It's fun to mess around with and think about, but perhaps it can verge on orthorexia. Perhaps it's a California thing?

Anyways... I'll save you my own personal history to share where I'm at now:

#1 Beef - most studies condemning beef were carried out within the context of a standard american diet. In other words, the rest of someone's diet, particularly carbohydrates, has an effect on how saturated fat and cholesterol are metabolized. As of right now, I'm convinced that beef is a good thing, outside of it's deleterious environmental impact. Speaking of that, I think we're past the point of no return, and I think I'd like to see a great environmental/economic collapse within my lifetime. So, if me eating beef increases the likelihood of an apocalypse, then I'm all for it.

Lately, I've been aiming for at least 1 pound a day. I've found that it's one of the most convenient, cost efficient, and tasty ways to help get the 180-200 grams of protein that I shoot for everyday.

#2 Brassica oleracea - Curly kale and cabbage mostly. I've lost my taste for broccoli. Kale and cabbage always feels right, especially if together.

#3 Fruits - Tangerines like a motherfucker. The ones I get for free from Farmer's Market donations are bomb-diggety. They're like candy. I've also been eating a lot of seasonal pears lately. Bananas are also a staple.

#4 Other Foods/Supplements - Eggs, Hemp Powder, Green Peppers, Ground Turkey, Fish Oil

#5 Fluids - Water, Black Tea, Green Tea

#6 Things I avoid - Dairy, Breads, Juices, Granola, Pastries

terrible, I really need to do something about it but I hate cooking. coffee, pizza, pancakes, thai food, grilled cheese, french fries.
    Last edited by last_caress; 01-20-2014 at 07:53 AM.

I've been eating a lot of ham and chicken breasts and cottage cheese for protein. I get sirloin when it's on sale but it makes me sleepy. I get the bags of precut, prewashed dark greens like spinach and kale and my favorite are mustard greens. I like sweet potatoes and butternut squash and I probably eat an apple nearly every day. Canned beans, brown rice, oats with frozen blueberries and I try to limit the breads and pastas but I like them, they're yummy. Let's see... lots of eggs, pretty much whenever I have leftovers I cook them with eggs. Probably the only thing I eat every single day is peanut butter. I used to get whole milk to mix with whey for after workouts but it gave me gas so I just use water now. If I start losing weight again I'll figure something out but I seem to have been stable at 165 for a while now and that seems like good enough.

I like coffee but lately I've been trying to sleep better and even though I've read that it's supposed to pass through your system in six hours, if I have some in the afternoon I still feel like it's affecting me when I lay down at 10pm. Lately I've even been feeling like maybe I could live without that cup in the morning when I wake up. But I dunno, I have to have some kind of a vice. Oh and a multivitamin and fish oil every morning.

The only thing I really really avoid is refined sugar.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    II like coffee but lately I've been trying to sleep better and even though I've read that it's supposed to pass through your system in six hours, if I have some in the afternoon I still feel like it's affecting me when I lay down at 10pm. Lately I've even been feeling like maybe I could live without that cup in the morning when I wake up. But I dunno, I have to have some kind of a vice. Oh and a multivitamin and fish oil every morning.
    Caffeine has a pretty variable metabolic half-life. Some studies say 5-6 hours, but keep in mind that means you still have 50% of the caffeine kicking around in your bloodstream after that time.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The biological half-life of caffeine – the time required for the body to eliminate one-half of the total amount of caffeine – varies widely among individuals according to such factors as age, liver function, pregnancy, some concurrent medications, and the level of enzymes in the liver needed for caffeine metabolism. It can also be significantly altered by drugs or hormonal states. In healthy adults, caffeine's half-life has been measured with a range of results. Some measures get 4.9 hours,[147] and others are at around 6 hours.[148] Heavy cigarette smokers show a decrease in half-life of 30–50%,[38] oral contraceptives can double it,[38] and pregnancy can raise it even more, to as much as 15 hours during the last trimester.[38] In newborn infants the half-life can be 80 hours or more; however it drops very rapidly with age, possibly to less than the adult value by the age of 6 months.[38] The antidepressant fluvoxamine (Luvox) reduces the clearance of caffeine by more than 90%, and prolongs its elimination half-life more than tenfold; from 4.9 hours to 56 hours.[147]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Metabolism

Type
    intp
    I'm going to make another crepe and stick a crap load of peanut butter in it... The shit I eat at 9.00 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I'm going to make another crepe and stick a crap load of peanut butter in it... The shit I eat at 9.00 pm.
    Could you send me some, please?

Type
    xxxx
    I eat a lot of:

pizza risotto chips wedges apples pomegranates sushi salmon eggs noodles slurpees roast vegetables and the other day i got a hotdog from ikea.
    I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
    ― David Bowie

www.karililt.com
    http://www.instagram.com/karililt

Type
    INTP
    Meat - mostly beef, chicken, and pork (sometimes fish, but not very often)

Veggies - all kinds (except fennel which is just nasty). I like to change them up because I get bored of having the same ones over and over.

Sweet potatoes - I don't eat white potatoes very often.

Nuts - good snack

Dairy - I love cheese. I don't eat it everyday, but I eat it about 2-3 times a week. I'll also have dairy in dishes with cream based sauces. That's about it for the dairy.

Fruit - Fruit smoothie every weekday morning for breakfast. I also pack fruit in my lunch. It changes with the seasons. Right now I'm eating clementines.

Beans/Legumes - I don't make a point to eat these, but they end up in a dish probably at least once a week.

Rice - about twice a week because I like carbs

Chocolate -a piece after dinner... because it's good

Drinks - water, coffee, tea

I try to avoid most refined sugar and wheat, but sometimes I eat these things anyway because they are delicious and I love food. Plus sometimes I'm just craving pizza or a certain desert.

Type
    INTP
    1) Beef, first choice for basic food. You ever seen bodybuilders and powerlifters? They eat the shit out of beef. Red meat is good for you. Fried and barbecued.

2) Chicken, my alternate for basic food. Chicken is good and good for you. Simple recipes and basic barbecued.

3) Very little fruit as I just don't care much for it. And I feel like there are toxins all over the store stuff.

4) Some fresh vegetables mainly in these "fun salads" my wife makes in a bizarre amount of ways.

5) Protein bars

6) Turkey's we cook up a few times a year, cheap eating.

7) Lasagna, Pizza, casseroles. Maybe once a week or every two weeks.

8) Fluids, cold water, 2% milk, occasional soft drink.

9) Things I mainly avoid, sweets such as cookies, pies & cakes. Canned food, breakfast cereals, most processed food.

Type
    INTP
    "Eat food. Not too much...Mostly plants"

Personally I've been eating a lot of food "product" that may have been in the same room as a plant at some point.
    Last edited by mthomps; 01-20-2014 at 03:07 PM.