Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe I'm always right why is this considered a bad thing?

Type
    XNTP

I believe I'm always right why is this considered a bad thing?

Sorry, I've been away for a few months due to being back in school but I just add a question and figured I would come back to ask it.

So, here is the issue. We all believe we are right (correct) because if we didn't we would be unstable.

Yes, I know opinions are subjective, not objective truth.

Yes, I understand that everyone believes they are right even those with conflicting opinions. Logically, someone must be wrong but it is normal and expected that each would believe they are right.

Yes, I know myself and others change our opinions, however, our newest opinions than becoming our belief of what is right. I don't believe I've always been right I believe I am right, right now.

Yes, I know that I have beliefs right now that are false statistically speaking I am not omnipotent. However, which Ideas I hold that are true or false and to what degree I don't know. Therefore, my assumption individually is that every opinions/idea I have is truth to the degree I can understand it right now.

Therefore, I do believe I am always right even if I know that I am most defiantly wrong about a great many things. I just don't know what they are so I assume they are the things that I'm not currently thinking of. This is reasonable and honest to think this way.

What is not reasonable is not admitting your opinion has changed because your pride won't let you admit that you have ever been wrong.

What do you think?
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    ENTP
    I usually think I'm right as well, but it's a character flaw. There are times when a strong self-belief is important (sharks are coming, we all need to get out of the water NOW!), but most of the time, being overconfident about being right is a weakness. When you believe you're right, you may tend to confirmation-bias all future evidence in such a way that you're incapable of being persuaded otherwise. Other people, as you pointed out, also believe they are right, so when you being right directly contradicts with them being right, you are inherently making them wrong.

A more useful approach, most of the time, is to eschew dualistic thinking (i.e. right and wrong), and instead embrace ambiguity. "What matters" can evolve from "being right" to "seeking knowledge".
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Look up Dunning Kruger and omniscient.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    I think it's intellectual elitism speaking. Our belief systems change over time as well as our perception of self. To say you are always right is to say you can never be wrong even if you are, regardless if you accept it or not.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Look up Dunning Kruger and omniscient.
    haha, and don't stop there!!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Fucking cryptomnesia.

Whenever I see it, I wonder if it's me.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    XNTP
    It's not elitism in the least I assume everyone believes they are right, and as far as I can tell they do believe they are right.

Believing you're always right knowing you are always right are two different things. I certainly know I've been wrong before and I know I am likely wrong to some extent now. However, this doesn't mean individually I don't believe I am right. No one does. The issue here is social correctness. It's bad to say you believe you are right.

You all have just made statements of the fact that I reasonably assume you believe are right. Even if in fact you are wrong your belief, is that you are right. You always believe this. This isn't a character flaw. It's simply being honest with yourself.

If you didn't believe you were right, it wouldn't be a belief or opinion. It would be self-doubt.

It not paradoxical to believe in your own understanding and still except that you have room to grow.

Knowledge is about, concrete facts which we have a limited supply of. Beliefs and opinions are the suppositions we use the render reality form what little we can confirm. It's imperative to your sanity for you to actually perceive reality with strong beliefs and opinions. That you assume are right.

Yes, these assumption change over time and we develop and grow as humans, but at any given time you opinions are real and factual if only to your current place in space/time.

They are real to you individually. This doesn't mean they are true in any universal sense.

I not saying I know I am always right. What I am saying is I believe I am always right.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm asserting I don't always believe I am right. I make educated guesses all the time.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    logic says if you fall down, get up, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm asserting I don't always believe I am right. I make educated guesses all the time.
    If you act on your educated guesses than your progressing forward in the assumption that said guess is right. If you could do this, you wouldn't be able to function.

Just because you allow for the possibility that you may be wrong doesn't mean you don't assume that you are right.

Assuming/believing you are right allows you to function and progress in life. Not admitting you where wrong can certainly problem, but I'm not saying I don't believe I've ever been wrong. Only, that I believe that I am currently right. I don't know that I am right, but I move forward in the belief that I am right until something shows me otherwise.

The issue here is semantics. It considers taboo and arrogant for someone to say the logical fact, that they believe what they believe to be true until something proves them otherwise.

Saying I always believe that I am right is simply state that I believe what I believe.