Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I believe I'm always right why is this considered a bad thing?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Doubt and uncertainty are the mother and father of all questions.

Questions are the root of all learning.

People who believe they are right, having no doubt, therefore have no room for questions and therefore will not learn.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by AntisocialENTP View Post
    I don't think its binary there are infinite ways to believe on an infinite number of issues. (yes technically everything is finite, but the numbers are large enough to they represent an infinite possibility in relation to an individuals choices.)

The problem is there is one optimal best choice for every issue. There may be many acceptable choices (grey) and many many more unacceptable (wrong) choices. But there is only one right choice.

I'm not claiming that I hold all the right choices as beliefs most of my ideology falls into the grey if not wrong category just because those options are statistically easier to find.

I assume that my ideas are the right ideas, however, in reality, most of them are grey, and many of them are just wrong.

This however, doesn't change my assumption.

I think it's dangerous to label issues as grey issues and accept that a correct solution cannot be reached only a compromise. This might be the best we can hope for in politics in life it's dangerous to accept an okay idea when a better idea would be more accurate.

In the case, you mention these are not contradictory view only contradictory conclusions both conclusions are equally wrong.

To say that welfare helps those in need and to say that some people take advantage of welfare isn't contradictory. Something you could do could both help some and injure others. The right thing would be the thing the maximises the help while limiting the damage. Anything that moves forward on this would be grey the optimal solution would be right and any chose that would lose ground on this goals would be wrong.
    I think it's dangerous to assume there is even an "optimal" answer. Some things in life are like the analogy of Heraclitus and the river. Things are always moving forward and you can never truly change a choice once it is made or what comes about from not choosing. Politics is very much like that. You may after much deliberation and reasoning and evidence come to an "optimal" solution for solving a problem, but once it is enacted other problems may result and the idea of there even being an "optimal" solution is again a false dichotomy. I only suggest the "grey" to avoid the hubris of being right (or wrong).

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    I think it's dangerous to assume there is even an "optimal" answer. Some things in life are like the analogy of Heraclitus and the river. Things are always moving forward and you can never truly change a choice once it is made or what comes about from not choosing. Politics is very much like that. You may after much deliberation and reasoning and evidence come to an "optimal" solution for solving a problem, but once it is enacted other problems may result and the idea of there even being an "optimal" solution is again a false dichotomy. I only suggest the "grey" to avoid the hubris of being right (or wrong).
    I think it may be dangerous to think you always know the optimal answer. However, assuming that you reached the optimal conclusion you personally can achieve isn't the best you can do. Therefore, what you should believe. This doesn't mean you reached the optimal answer only that you done your best to reach the optimal answer.

There is a huge difference between knowing and believing. That is what people keep missing.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Doubt and uncertainty are the mother and father of all questions.

Questions are the root of all learning.

People who believe they are right, having no doubt, therefore have no room for questions and therefore will not learn.
    I can say this clearer.

1. I doubt most things say to some degree.
    2. Belief isn't knowledge. Belief looks at the evidence through the filter of your judgment. We believe what we believe, but this is not the same as not having doubt that we could be wrong about any given thing. I believe that my chair will hold me. However, I know its possible that my chair could fail.
    3. I do know some things "Like I do exist" I have absolutely know dought that I exist.

For the last time, there is a difference between believing you are right and knowing you are right.
    Last edited by AntisocialENTP; 11-13-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    Intp
    "I believe that I'm always wrong. Why is this considered a bad thing?"...because then you can't make choices and learn and succeed.

Not trying to speak for you or put words in your mouth, but that seems to be what your argument has amounted to. But it's not really an answer to "I believe that I'm always right. Why is this considered a bad thing?". So okay, I guess.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by AntisocialENTP View Post
    For the last time, there is a difference between believing you are right and knowing you are right.
    The distinction, while important, is irrelevant to my arguments.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)