Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe I'm always right why is this considered a bad thing?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm asserting I don't always believe I am right. I make educated guesses all the time.
    Yes this. And of course, there are degrees of certainty.

Type
    xNxx
    Everybody always thinks I'm right and it's a problem.

Type
    INTP
    People can't tell the difference between what they think is right, and what is actually right.

The solution for me is this: Try in earnest to be right, and hope that you're successful, and hold all your conclusions as provisional pending insight/data/context shift/etc.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    Intp
    I just wish people would realize being right doesn't mean other people are automatically wrong. Two people can be right and yet hold contradictory views. It happens all the time in politics.

Type
    intp
    I think this is just semantics.

When you say you believe you're always right, you know that you're not always right, but you mean that you act like you believe you're right, because otherwise you'd be limited by doubt or something.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    I just wish people would realize being right doesn't mean other people are automatically wrong. Two people can be right and yet hold contradictory views. It happens all the time in politics.
    As far as actual truth goes no, two people with contradictory views can't both be right. They can, however, both be wrong to different degrees which is generally the case in politics. Some may say they are both equally right, but they are really both equally wrong with some ideas that hold value.

This is not the same as what I'm implying. It is true however that both parties may believe they are right. However, I think politics complicates things a bit because belonging to a political group sometimes means prioritizing the group's priorities over your personal convictions/beliefs. For this reason, why many politicians proclaim beliefs they don't actually have. They still believe what they believe, but they tow the party line for the sake of prioritizing some beliefs over other and getting things to happen.

I would argue that doing this too much may be why many senior politicians are jaded and lose sight of the goals that originally brought them into politics in the first place. It's not mentally healthy to go against your own conviction.

Truth values do come in degrees of certainty; I am certainly far more certain of some, beliefs than others. However, all my beliefs (the totality of what I understand) I understand to be true/right. This is simply what it means to believe something. To believe something implies that you understand it to be true. It doesn't imply that it is factually true, only that you understand it to be true.

So, when someone tells me that "I believe I am right.", I do. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a belief. This isn't to say I don't make guesses that I'm less than 100% sure about. I do that all the time. But I only make the guess that I believe is most likely to be true thas how educated guessing work.

One can certainly argue something they don't believe but its impossible for a stable (sain) person to believe what they do not believe.

Beliefs are defined as "an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists."

The bottom line is a belief is that the acceptance that something is true therefore right. So, you to believe you are always right. Because, that simply what belief is.

The degree of rightness or correctness aside, or your ability to admit that you may be wrong neither change your belief that you are right. Learning this psychological truth about yourself and everyone else really helps you understand human behavior and your own motivation better.

I defined my beliefs not because they are right, but because I believe them to be right. You all defined your own beliefs for the same reasons. Knowing the difference between belief and reality allows me to alter my beliefs, strengthening them by changing them and aligning with reality. I always believe what I believe the hope is that with practice and openness that these beliefs will grow closer and closer to reality. So not only will I believe I am right, but I will actually be right.

My goal is to be the best possible version of myself and to have the best possible understanding of reality and everything that I can achieve. This starts with the knowledge that I believe I am right and the understanding that my beliefs and reality are not aligned. The goal is to decrease the deviation between my beliefs and reality. However, this is a lifelong goal and most certainly will never be achieved incompletion.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I think this is just semantics.

When you say you believe you're always right, you know that you're not always right, but you mean that you act like you believe you're right, because otherwise you'd be limited by doubt or something.
    Kind of.

It's not exactly true to say I only act as I believe I am right, that would imply that I don't actually believe I am right but I still act as if I am.

Your right it is semantics, however, it is between belief and knowledge. Knowledge is certain truth absolute. (I.E., I know I exist). Belief is an educated guess. It's the choice you believe is most likely right. You still believe it to be right that why you act on it. Beliefs are fluid ideas that morph to allow us to better understand reality. In any given time you beliefs are your current assumption about what is right.

Dogmatism is when you put your beliefs on a pedestal and say this is the line in the sand and I won't believe anything beyond this idea even if reality contradicts that idea.

Understanding that your beliefs are what you currently believe is right is far different than saying I know all my ideas/thoughts are right.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    People can't tell the difference between what they think is right, and what is actually right.

The solution for me is this: Try in earnest to be right, and hope that you're successful, and hold all your conclusions as provisional pending insight/data/context shift/etc.
    Yes, and no.

I can tell the difference between belief and truth. I know few things, and I believe many things. I know my beliefs are my best guesses and some have stood the test of time to the point that I am very confident in them but I know that they could still be wrong I just don't believe they are wrong.

I think I do know the difference between what I believe and what is as far as the difference between reality and my understanding of reality. However, it is true that I can't tell what beliefs I have that are wrong if I could they would no longer hold to those beliefs.

Type
    INTP
    Your writing has really improved. Kudos!

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Your writing has really improved. Kudos!
    I'm currently in college again, so I'm writing more and trying to be clearer.