Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis CK allegations

Type
    INTP

Louis CK allegations

NYT knew what they were doing with the timing on this one.

I'll have to read over the details again and haven't settled on an assessment. Gauging reactions online, it seems the public is disinterested in accurate criticism of his missteps. He can now all-too readily be labelled a sexual predator. It sets a new precedence about judgement surrounding consent that's been talked about but not often seen in action - the word has lost meaning and weight. The leap between inappropriate solicitation and serial-harasser / predator ought to be a gulf but apparently that's too nuanced a view. The ostracization is already setting in.

Coercion by virtue of his "power" is the recurring argument, in spite of how long ago these incidents took place. Absolutely weak.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Last I heard, he is refusing to make a statement

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I just googled him (he's not really a thing here, it seems) and thought he looked sleazy.

And I must say I don't think those accusations are weak at all. One of the main achievements of modern civilisation is tempering your impulses and not raping/assaulting/molesting random women. And pulling your dick out in front of an unconsenting lady is definitely a molestation that goes way beyond causing a minor inconvenience.

I get that for a man with a dick of his own, it's hard to see this from a woman's perspective. A female acquaintance of mine once likened such molestation to somebody taking a shit on your desk while you're watching. It's a similar level of primal aggression, personal disrespect and violation of decency and intimate boundaries.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i don't sympathize with him here at all.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio
    And pulling your dick out in front of an unconsenting lady is definitely a molestation that goes way beyond causing a minor inconvenience.
    It would be a misconduct, though it appears in this case they consented. Or rather one pair simply laughed in answer, and the others said yes. Our modern understanding about what constitutes consent leaves the first instance murky, but there wasn't either a no or his whipping it out without asking as I remember reading. This is why I mentioned it in the OP - consent doesn't appear to mean shit to people.

Type
    INTP
    So he invites some women to his hotel room late at night, inside asks if he can masturbate in front of them, and when they "laugh it off" he proceeds to do so.

Another woman says he asked if he could masturbate in front of her and she declined. Another claims to have heard him masturbating over the phone.

Am I missing something? He likes to masturbate in front of women and on occasion asks them if he can do so. Who cares?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    We're seeing symptoms of nothing less than a paradigm shift.

Powerful men are simply not going to get away scott free with harassing the women around them. A lot of men whose behavior is coming to light right now have been at it for decades. That tells you how deep this shift is, what the status quo has been like for such a long time and what it's becoming now. I definitely think this is not isolated from the women's marches and mobilizations we've been seeing world wide for a few years now; mobilizations against harassment and femicide in different countries.

On some level I think this shift has been prompting a backlash expressed in MRAs, incels and the manosphere in general. Well, not to mention one of these sleaze bags getting voted president of the United States. It's natural, politically, for progress to spark a more radical opposition (fascism, anyone?). Gramsci called them the monsters of twilight. Don Quixote said they bark when you are galopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    He released a statement.

The power I had over these women is that they admired me.
    No one can be held responsible for their choices when in the presence of someone famous is the takeaway from this. Have to borrow from Ptah on this one. Personal responsibility: get some.

Leaving aside employer-employee relationships that don't apply here, everyone has some potential power over each other. We all have connections, we can all attempt to blackmail. That doesn't automatically translate to coercion. We make our choices, we take responsibility for them (including Louis). Otherwise, what are the implications for the meaning of consent across the board? It's "yes means yes", not "yes means yes maybe if your status isn't intimidating". Not to suggest that there wasn't any level of power involved in the interaction but that is a flimsy factor on which to base judgement to the extent of ruining someone's career.

And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them.
    I can't either.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Personal responsibility: get some.
    that doesn't even apply to the women who had this done to them...

We make our choices, we take responsibility for them.
    i mean, yeah. now louis c. k. has to face the music
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    He released a statement.

No one can be held responsible for their choices when in the presence of someone famous is the takeaway from this. Have to borrow from Ptah on this one. Personal responsibility: get some.

Leaving aside employer-employee relationships that don't apply here, everyone has some potential power over each other. We all have connections, we can all attempt to blackmail. That doesn't automatically translate to coercion. We make our choices, we take responsibility for them (including Louis).
    I'm pretty sure they would have chose to have him not whip out his dick and start beating it in front of them.

I've never been confused about appropriate times to whip my dick out. I've got no sympathy for him.