Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis CK allegations

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I'm pretty sure they would have choose to have him not whip out his dick and start beating it in front of them.
    Probably their preference, not what they said, so what of it?

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff
    that doesn't even apply to the women who had this done to them...
    No one made them say yes.

I'll reiterate: it's inappropriate and should be judged as such. But the angles are stretched and the outcome looks set to be the same as it was for Weinstein and Spacey, predators. They would never have bothered to run this story without the current momentum in the press.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

No one made them say yes.
    so you see him as the one who was wronged here? that's just fucking stupid.

when you have professional admiration for someone that isn't consent for him to start beating off in front of you, jesus christ. and yes, the professional power relationship isn't a nontrivial thing, that's something you generally don't take advantage of in order to violate someone.
    Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    It would be a misconduct, though it appears in this case they consented. Or rather one pair simply laughed in answer, and the others said yes. Our modern understanding about what constitutes consent leaves the first instance murky, but there wasn't either a no or his whipping it out without asking as I remember reading. This is why I mentioned it in the OP - consent doesn't appear to mean shit to people.
    Context is key here. I mean, people call me autistic, but even I get that. A funny guy cracks a joke and asks you in a funny voice "Wanna see my dick?", of course you're going to think it's a joke. Which woman said yes? Did she say yes in all seriousness or was she just going along with what she thought was a joke? It works both ways really. If someone at your job says, "Dude, do that one more time or I'm going to shit on your desk", of course you're going to laugh, perhaps taunt him "Go ahead!". But if he drops his trousers to his ankles and actually starts doing it, I bet you're going to stop thinking it so funny.

Am I the only guy that thinks it's not rocket science? You simply don't whip out your dick in any situation that isn't explicitly, consentingly sexual. Period. I might have some sympathies for CK if those occurences had happened with women he was romantically involved with. But he wasn't. I understand he met them on the job and for job-related after-work drinks. The whole thing seems bloody random.

I actually do feel sorry for those women.

Edit: Never mind, @Fitz got here first.

Type
    xNxx
    edit: redundant

Type
    INXj
    He released a statement.

No one can be held responsible for their choices when in the presence of someone famous is the takeaway from this. Have to borrow from Ptah on this one. Personal responsibility: get some.

Leaving aside employer-employee relationships that don't apply here, everyone has some potential power over each other. We all have connections, we can all attempt to blackmail. That doesn't automatically translate to coercion. We make our choices, we take responsibility for them (including Louis). Otherwise, what are the implications for the meaning of consent across the board? It's "yes means yes", not "yes means yes maybe if your status isn't intimidating". Not to suggest that there wasn't any level of power involved in the interaction but that is a flimsy factor on which to base judgement to the extent of ruining someone's career.

I can't either.
    I find it funny he can't even confirm if the women said "okay, go ahead". Did he even wait for the consent? Er.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ

This is one of those things that doesn't need to be explicitly said. The standard option is no one wants to see your dick. I don't even know what's confusing about this.

Type
    INTP
    Unless there was an actual crime here, why the hell are we sanctimoniously judging a guy for how he handles private sexual encounters? Don't we have Reality TV stars who willingly sign up to be judged by the masses?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff
    so you see him as the one who was wronged here? that's just fucking stupid.
    I see him as someone whose behavior should be judged for what it was (inappropriate), and should apologize. I don't see him as a victim. But I think the ease with which to discount the guy as a predator based on the conceit of coercion is alarming. The whole coercion angle is way too murky.

when you have professional admiration for someone that isn't consent for him to start beating off in front of you
    Professional admiration is not measurable or tangible nor does it absolve you of power over your own faculties regarding wants, likes and dislikes. That would mean if any famous person tells you to quit your job or kick your dog it's tantamount to coercion.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio
    A funny guy cracks a joke and asks you in a funny voice "Wanna see my dick?", of course you're going to think it's a joke.
    That's the one I'm of two minds about. The others said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    The standard option is no one wants to see your dick. I don't even know what's confusing about this.
    Irrelevant. And that would reframe the argument such that no solicitation is acceptable on the grounds that it *probably* wont be reciprocated. Which by extension means all solicitation = bad. It's not for us to assume what someone may like (granted, I assume few people would care to see it). If no one's getting crucified by soliciting an acquaintance for sex (i.e. not an employee) or asking to jack off to their feet (see: Tarantino) then masturbation ought to be treated with about the same severity.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Unless there was an actual crime here, why the hell are we sanctimoniously judging a guy for how he handles private sexual encounters? Don't we have Reality TV stars who willingly sign up to be judged by the masses?
    He's being judged because his "audience" didn't know those meetings were going to be sexual encounters.

Also this thread makes me think that @Faust routinely walks around with his dick hanging out.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    The crime is lewd sexual conduct without consent.

Don't even know why that's up for debate, an unsolicited penis in the flesh is surprisingly disgusting.

Aw man disappointing. I was hoping the rumours just weren't true.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/