Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 102

Thread: Louis CK allegations

  1. #21
    chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    zone 10a
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Professional admiration is not measurable or tangible nor does it absolve you of power over your own faculties regarding wants, likes and dislikes. That would mean if any famous person tells you to quit your job or kick your dog it's tantamount to coercion.
    i don't think it's like that at all. these accounts about sexual misconduct of powerful figures in the entertainment industry all pretty much have this one thing in common, that in entertainment the boundaries between personal and work life are a lot murkier than in other industries. it's pretty shitty to take advantage of that, and from the women's pov it's not like they're agreeing to a sexual encounter when they agree to go to a meeting. even louis c. k. said he took advantage of the power relationship and that it was shitty. he was obviously in the wrong, and i don't see what's confusing about that.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

  2. #22
    Member Mxx's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    He's being judged because his "audience" didn't know those meetings were going to be sexual encounters.
    I thought they were invited to his hotel room? Women typically don't want men to be upfront about their intentions, they constantly have to walk this tight rope of consent and respect, saying things without saying them. But Jesus, a guy inviting me to his hotel room is a pretty clear signal.

  3. #23
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    No one can be held responsible for their choices when in the presence of someone famous is the takeaway from this.

    Leaving aside employer-employee relationships that don't apply here,
    They do apply. These were informal work settings. That's a lot of the problem.

  4. #24
    Member Mxx's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    The crime is lewd sexual conduct without consent.

    Don't even know why that's up for debate, an unsolicited penis in the flesh is surprisingly disgusting.

    Aw man disappointing. I was hoping the rumours just weren't true.
    If it's a crime, that's what the judicial process is for. And I'm starting to realize that this is what the whole "innocent until proven guilty" principle is for. If he's just an awkward perv, ffs. So what.

  5. #25
    Noble Asshole Horatio's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    986
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I thought they were invited to his hotel room? Women typically don't want men to be upfront about their intentions, they constantly have to walk this tight rope of consent and respect, saying things without saying them. But Jesus, a guy inviting me to his hotel room is a pretty clear signal.
    If it had been a romantic date with one woman, sure, I'd get it.

    But those were after-work drinks with two women. Work. Two women. And a hotel room isn't sexual in itself.

    Moreover, we lack facts. Why did those women accompany him to his hotel room? Perhaps all the bars were closing. Besides, a guy like Louis CK probably stays in suites. If you're having a great platonic time with someone from WORK who makes you laugh and he goes "I'm staying at this awesome suite, you guys wanna check it out and have a drink there?", you're probably going to go "Sweet, let's go", without thinking twice, ESPECIALLY if you're with another friend.

    Seriously, I can't even imagine a scenario in which those woman should have expected "Oh, he's this famous comedian, apparently a great, funny guy off work too, if my friend and I go to his suite for drinks, he's probably going to pull out his dick and start masturbating". None.

  6. #26
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Seriously, I can't even imagine a scenario in which those woman should have expected "Oh, he's this famous comedian, apparently a great, funny guy off work too, if my friend and I go to his suite for drinks, he's probably going to pull out his dick and start masturbating". None.
    They weren't groupies, they were a comedy team doing their first big gig. At best it's a "casting couch" situation.

  7. #27
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff
    i don't think it's like that at all. these accounts about sexual misconduct of powerful figures in the entertainment industry all pretty much have this one thing in common, that in entertainment the boundaries between personal and work life are a lot murkier than in other industries.
    How powerful would you say he was from late 90s to 2005?

    he was obviously in the wrong, and i don't see what's confusing about that.
    My confusion doesn't lie in whether or not what he did was wrong. I think in his mind he was exploiting a situation for personal gain, that's clear, and probably didn't think it was a big deal then. I only contest the actual charges laid by the public. Unsolicited molestation and harassment is in another ballpark than asking and being granted permission to jerk off - I think the part about consent still has to matter.

    Is it somehow impossible to have a nuanced take on this? Bad but not devastatingly bad?

    I guess his career's fucked either way.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuck
    They do apply. These were informal work settings. That's a lot of the problem.
    Including his hotel room? I guess that line gets blurred, but even in the case of a work-setting (which also doubles as a private setting unless the workplace follows you everywhere), that makes them colleagues.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

    "It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

  8. #28
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio
    Also this thread makes me think that @Faust routinely walks around with his dick hanging out.
    Are you familiar with the term "devil's advocate"? Yeah it's another word for walking around with your fucking dick out.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

    "It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

  9. #29
    push to stutardepid itch's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    781
    I wonder if in the heat of the moment, when faced with something lewd coming from a dude whose bread is buttered on both sides with approval shown in the form of laughter, that when responding to said lewd proposal with laughter one might also consider it a good measure to also actually use the word "no". While many might be embarrassed by a reaction of hysterical laughter, that's basically pulling the stops for a comedian.
    stupid pancakes.

  10. #30
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Including his hotel room? I guess that line gets blurred, but even in the case of a work-setting (which also doubles as a private setting unless the workplace follows you everywhere), that makes them colleagues.
    Absolutely.

    For instance, I have songwriting sessions in my living room. I have had sessions in my bedroom. I've attended sessions in other people's bedrooms. It's much easier to do that than rent office space. Comedians do the same thing because they're mostly broke or on tour and hotel rooms are a comfortable place to create.

Similar Threads

  1. Why St. Louis? This MIGHT be why…
    By mancroft in forum News, Culture & History
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •