Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generational theft, how do you 18-35 year old feel about it?

Type
    INTP

Generational theft, how do you 18-35 year old feel about it?

Social Security, good luck getting some of that in 30-40 years. But that seems like a small worry compared to current and growing unfunded liabilities, $127 trillion, $500 trillion some say. What kind of number is that going to be in 30-40 years? We older folk have left you a house of cards. Don't be worrying about peak oil, we are going to frack the hell out of everything to burn up all that natural gas too, poison your wells in the process.

Now Obamacare, this is in your face generational theft. This is paying for car insurance as soon as a kid gets out of diapers. Myself I haven't paid a single health insurance payment, ever. There are a lot of guys like me, I can get me some "discount" healthcare since I am likely to start facing health care problems. Your mandatory payments are going to help subsidize me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...about-nothing/

Type
    INTP
    Obamacare just makes me want a single payer system even more. I want to pay for your healthcare costs, but in a more equitable manner.

Type
    INTP
    I see a lot of talking about having our generation "foot the bill" of the older generations, but at the same time everyone seems to be panicking about how our generation doesn't have any money with which to foot bills. I see a LOT of baby boomers missing/delaying retirement because their funds disappeared somehow. So, it doesn't seem that the bills are being footed by anyone but themselves. Personally, and I know a lot of people are in agreement with me on this, but I have no faith in the traditional idea of working for 40 years and then retiring with the savings. I have no reason to believe there will be a savings, and kind of doubt that the U.S. will even exist in the same state it does in 40 years. So, I'll live life in a way that makes sense, without worrying about the consumer rat-race of always chasing that next raise/promotion.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    As I've ranted at length about on the other forum, the issue is not whether there will be Social Security money for me so much as what that money will be worth. (Money is imaginary, and can be printed by the government to cover its own expenses.) The important thing is to revive the economy, not so much to balance the government's bank accounts. (A balanced public budget would be helpful, but only if there's also an economic recovery.)

Personally, I do worry about peak oil because that's a tangible, finite resource with specific, economically vital uses for which no viable alternative has been developed as of yet. An energy shortage would be much more of a real problem than the government's fiscal problems. (I'm guessing a conversion to nuclear electricity will be the logical next step, but work on making this efficient/affordable in mass quantities doesn't seem to happening as quickly as perhaps it should.)

I'm also in favor of single-payer health insurance. The problem with Obamacare is not that it forces some people to pay other people's health care costs (this is going to happen anyway, one way or another), but that it's just another shaky prop for an overall system which I don't think is sustainable. There again, I worry about spiraling costs and shortages more so than how the costs are distributed. Health care shouldn't be difficult to obtain when needed, but it currently is in the US and Obamacare does nothing I expect to fix that in the medium or long term. This is what needs to be dealt with.

Type
    INTP
    I think that single-payer is the only possible chance of healthcare for all working. But I'm not very optimistic about the insurance industry taking it's dirty mitts off the healthcare industry and I can't see them being good stewards of Obamare either.

Theoretically I guess there is some level of fairness with paying social security in and then getting money out, at least it started out as having an equity component. SS has a natural take care of yourself component, if you don't take care of yourself and live to see old age, no money for you. It seems to me though there is no semblance of fairness or equity within healthcare, no real incentives to take of yourself. Single payer would be like having an overbearing mother that when push come to shove will always pick up your mess.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    I think that single-payer is the only possible chance of healthcare for all working. But I'm not very optimistic about the insurance industry taking it's dirty mitts off the healthcare industry and I can't see them being good stewards of Obamare either.

Theoretically I guess there is some level of fairness with paying social security in and then getting money out, at least it started out as having an equity component. SS has a natural take care of yourself component, if you don't take care of yourself and live to see old age, no money for you. It seems to me though there is no semblance of fairness or equity within healthcare, no real incentives to take of yourself. Single payer would be like having an overbearing mother that when push come to shove will always pick up your mess.
    That's one of the reasons Singapore's health system apparently works so well. It's compulsory savings, but it's your money you're spending on your health (unless it's catastrophic - when the State helps out).

Most health care for 95% of people is in the first 5 and last 5 years of your life - 5% of the population take up 50% of the costs.

Apparently New Yorks average life span is up to international levels (unlike the rest of America) at 82 and they're putting that down to NY's health initiatives like the limits on soda etc (people could probably argue that til they're blue in the face).

Type
    INTP
    I usually don't like comparing between countries with things like gun control, crime, poverty, healthcare etc. I think there are way too many variables to do much effective comparison, imho. Or if one is comparing then make a good effort to identify all the variables and differences.

Personally I think the healthcare issue should be dealt with on a state by state basis, has to be now that the Geni is out of the bottle. I am not sold on the whole central planning thing for everything. Sure it might work great for say national defense.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Apparently New Yorks average life span is up to international levels (unlike the rest of America) at 82 and they're putting that down to NY's health initiatives like the limits on soda etc (people could probably argue that til they're blue in the face).
    Did that soda restriction ever even go into effect? Last I heard the state supreme court struck it down. Who's 'they' and what's 'etc.'?

Type
    intp
    my response to the notion of "generational theft" : LOL. sad old people are gonna die thinking they screwed us over, and a few years after they die we'll progress and have technology that makes our lives span centuries of health and youth, solves all social problems, etc (for the top 1/5th of the world population anyway). and then our planet will die

Type
    INTP
    I FELT more comfortable once I finally got health insurance again after a 7 year lapse.
    The realization that I'm still basically paying out of pocket except they'll actually treat me was the kick in the nuts I needed to remind myself that I'll never go to the doctor.