Thread: Beliefs and the art of debate.

Type
    XNTP

Beliefs and the art of debate.

People don't always act off of beliefs and knowledge; sometimes they acts of emotions like fear, hate, love, anger, sadness, happiness, or depression. Sometimes, people do things they fully know is wrong in hopes that it may make them feel better or create some type of cosmic justice. Sometimes, people are mentally unstable and can't distinguish between right and wrong. However, for whatever reason people do sometimes (myself included) make purposeful mistakes. I'm not saying people always act on what they believe is right. Only that what they believe is right is what they believe is right. Even if they are wrong about what they believe.

Beliefs, unlike the conditions I mentioned earlier require some rational, not the 100% proof of facts but some experience, observations, or concept/logic of proof. For some, it's simply 1x10^1,000,000%, for others it's more. I think my burden of proof is higher than average (because I am naturally a bit skeptical) however, this also makes me seem a tad bit more arrogant than others because my opinions generally require more proof to form thus more proof to break.

That being said, I don't think I am arrogant. I'm not offended by those that don't agree with me and honestly don't assume my opinions are actually more factual than someone elseís. I accepted a long time ago that my beliefs are bias. The only reason I don't just jump every bandwagon that Iíve seen argued is because my beliefs are founded on a given level of proof (subjective to my value of said opinion). So, I can't honestly accept a new opinion even if it might be true unless my current theories of what is true can be change and exceed the burden of proof of my current opinion.

This isn't because I believe I am better at formulating opinions that anyone else. Itís simply because I'm invested in my opinions to a degree. I've used them to make choices and predict future events. Many, many of my opinions have fallen short when it comes to making sound choices or predicting future events. These opinions were then replaced by newer ones that fixed the perceived flaws in the old opinion until I've reached the point I am at today. Many of my opinions have proven vary valuable to understanding reality and predicting some events.

Therefore, if someone wants to change my opinion they must:
    1. Identify the flaw in my current opinion. (not my English skills but the opinion itself). If my opinion isn't flawed, then I don't need to change it.
    2. Than they must prove that their opinion is less flawed and less likely to have holes. I may agree that my opinion is flawed, but if your opinion is just as flawed or incomplete, I can't use your opinion to improve mine.
    3. Finally, they have to prove that their opinions wouldn't fail in any of countless mental test/arguements I've taken to achieve the current opinion. (Easier said than done, since I canít even name our the ways Iíve verified any give an opinion, and Iím me.). This third step is were the debat comes from. however, the longer I live the more I've tested and fortified my opinion against possible weeknesses. Some of this comes for debating others however, just as often it likely comes from arguing with myself. Most of these arguments are not forfrount in my thoughts when address an opinion they have to be reremembers and can be very dounting for anyone to overcome.

This is why, as I grow older I've learn more and more from experience and observation than from debate. I still enjoy debate because I find it interesting to dive into someone reasoning and get a glimpse at their thought processes. I've learned a long time ago that ideas are beautiful things no matter where they come from. The debate is the best way to enjoy the human thought process of others. Rather they are right or wrong, or I am right or wrong factually, it doesn't matter much to me. The debate for me isn't about truth (even though I have had my opinion changed in a debate it not normally the case, nor do I often change others opinion, at least not knowingly so), the debate for me, is about understand the human psyche. Where all different and beautiful in our own ways.

This was going to be part of my prevous thread, however after I wrote it I realized that I went down a rabbit hole that was interesting in its own right.

What do you think about debate and it's value to change opinions or its value as an art in itself, (showing the beauty of human reasoning)?
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    ISFP
    Good for your flexibility of thought. I have found that when someone is morally convicted about something, "you can't make a dog happy by forcibly wagging its tail and you can't change people's minds by utterly refuting their arguments" - Johnathan Haidt. So I don't bother debating with people that hold strong moral convictions (e.g., pro-life), and instead, I find a common ground for conversation.

This is because I am better than everyone on this planet (i.e., flawless).

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    Good for your flexibility of thought. I have found that when someone is morally convicted about something, "you can't make a dog happy by forcibly wagging its tail and you can't change people's minds by utterly refuting their arguments" - Johnathan Haidt. So I don't bother debating with people that hold strong moral convictions (e.g., pro-life), and instead, I find a common ground for conversation.

This is because I am better than everyone on this planet (i.e., flawless).
    I have to agree with everything but the last statement.
    Not because it's necessarily false. But I have no context as I don't know you and even if I did, I don't know every other person on the planet. Even If I knew you and that that you were the most flawless person I know. It still wouldn't prove your statement due to the lack of knowledge about everyone else.

Side note.
    I'm speaking of beliefs in a more general sense. (I.E., I believe this chair I am sitting on can support my weight.) There, isn't anything moral about it? Not to disclude moral opinions or beliefs, they are part of our individual, collective beliefs. Simply not my focus here.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    ISFP
    yeah, it was TLDR, so I just wrote whatever I wanted anyway