Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back issues

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Back issues

Anybody have them?

I get muscle pain in my back when I'm sitting down working for long hours. Drives me crazy.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xNxx
    yep

probably also from sitting in a chair wrong.

Type
    intp
    My work has desks that wind up or down. I spent a few days last week standing and spine felt fairly great. But also I feel less productive while standing. Like I'm intermittently thinking "this fucking sucks having to stand all the time". I like that feeling of slopping back into the chair having imagination time. If I could just consistently sit with a proper posture, it would all be okay. But I don't.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    yep

probably also from sitting in a chair wrong.
    If you're sitting all day, posture won't keep you from getting pain eventually even if it makes a good deal of difference. I like to get up often and will probably invest in a standing desk in the future.

My late night stretching helps.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Have you considered the marvel of good massage?

Or sleeping on the floor?
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I have a herniated disc. I asked my spine doctor if a standing desk would help. He advised against getting one, and said it's better to just stand up every hour and walk around even for just a minute. He said that standing for long periods of time causes it's own back issues (compresses the spine and stuff) that he predicts people with standing desks will have to deal with in several years.

Type
    INTP
    DUP

Type
    INTP
    My lower back has been 'crinkly' since about age 50. It doesn't hurt yet, but I think a lot of the good stuff has worn away due to bad posture and rather long and heavy torso.

My upper back used to get quite tight due to stress and aforementioned reasons. An occasional massage and a few visits to a chiropracter did wonders for that.

It's not the back, but for stress release I massage my own head (joking aside) to move the scalp around.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Anybody have them?

I get muscle pain in my back when I'm sitting down working for long hours. Drives me crazy.
    This thread was click bait for me. Probably because I'm "that age".

Back pain is just a part of life at this point. Something I learn to turn off as background noise.

Mind you, I don't have (as far as I know) any back issues that prevent me from lifting heavy things and such. I just wake up every morning in need of a God Damned warmup. Or, worse, wake up at 3AM... 5AM.. 6AM.. in need of a position change because my back is waking me up. My back hurts at some level 24/7. It doesn't matter what I've given my back to do, mind you. Whether he's bailing hay or watching TV he hurts the same amount. It's the time of day that matters. He's a night person. In the morning, Mr. Back takes longer to wake up than I do and coffee doesn't effect him either way.

Fuck old age.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    This thread was click bait for me. Probably because I'm "that age".

Back pain is just a part of life at this point. Something I learn to turn off as background noise.

Mind you, I don't have (as far as I know) any back issues that prevent me from lifting heavy things and such. I just wake up every morning in need of a God Damned warmup. Or, worse, wake up at 3AM... 5AM.. 6AM.. in need of a position change because my back is waking me up. My back hurts at some level 24/7. It doesn't matter what I've given my back to do, mind you. Whether he's bailing hay or watching TV he hurts the same amount. It's the time of day that matters. He's a night person. In the morning, Mr. Back takes longer to wake up than I do and coffee doesn't effect him either way.

Fuck old age.
    Have you tried switching what you sleep on? This helped my mate a lot about 10 years ago and I've reaped some benefits as well. I could sleep on concrete floors at 18, no way I'm doing that again.