Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back issues

Type
    INtP
    Been lucky enough so far not to have any recurring back pain.

However in the last few years, I'll have pain in the area in the base of my neck where it branches off into back/shoulders. Many times it correlates with days that are very busy with a lot of forced prolonged socializing. I obviously carry my tension there but I'm not sure what I'm doing or how to lessen it.

Type
    INTP
    do some stretching and/or yoga. fixed. you're welcome
    Last edited by BillyBibbit; 11-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I don't know if the cracking is bad or not. The ball of my pointer finger cracks frequently when I open my hand all the way and that's also one of my fingers that hurts sometimes. I think my issue with the tablet is I got in the habit of using the stylus for everything and stopped using a mouse for awhile. I sit at a desk at work all day so my hand was basically in a writing position all day. I have since switched back to using a mouse when I'm doing things that I don't really need the stylus for to give my hand a break from being in the same position all day.

Anyway, here's an exercise similar to the one I was taught for my median nerve pain. I couldn't find the exact exercises I was taught. I just tried doing this one in the video and it seems to work the same way as the ones I was taught.

The way I was taught my arm starts more down by my side and slightly behind me and I don't do the head turn thing. The hand / wrist position is the same. Then keeping my arm straight I raise it until it starts to hurt. Then wiggle my fingers to release some of the tension. Then start over and try to raise my arm higher the next time. I do it like 10-20 times depending on how bad it is.

Then I do other one where I stick my arm straight out in front of me with my wrist bent up and sort of push my shoulder forward a little. Then keeping the wrist bend up and arm straight I move my arm to the side (away from me not, across my chest). I do the same thing where I stop when it starts to hurt and wiggle the fingers and start over again trying to go further the next time.

I don't know know well it works on thumbs since my thumb doesn't hurt. I feel it mostly in my shoulder and the inside of my elbow while I'm doing the exercises and a little bit in my pointer and middle fingers (those are the ones that hurt on me). My hand does feel better after I do them though since the median nerve runs all the way down the arm.
    thanks i just tried this and it seems good to do regularly since it puts some tension on my upper arm where i do experience regular aching, and i didn't really know where that was coming from. i'll try to remember to stretch this way when it gets bad.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Anybody have them?

I get muscle pain in my back when I'm sitting down working for long hours. Drives me crazy.
    Describe the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I don't know if the cracking is bad or not. The ball of my pointer finger cracks frequently when I open my hand all the way and that's also one of my fingers that hurts sometimes. I think my issue with the tablet is I got in the habit of using the stylus for everything and stopped using a mouse for awhile. I sit at a desk at work all day so my hand was basically in a writing position all day. I have since switched back to using a mouse when I'm doing things that I don't really need the stylus for to give my hand a break from being in the same position all day.

Anyway, here's an exercise similar to the one I was taught for my median nerve pain. I couldn't find the exact exercises I was taught. I just tried doing this one in the video and it seems to work the same way as the ones I was taught.

The way I was taught my arm starts more down by my side and slightly behind me and I don't do the head turn thing. The hand / wrist position is the same. Then keeping my arm straight I raise it until it starts to hurt. Then wiggle my fingers to release some of the tension. Then start over and try to raise my arm higher the next time. I do it like 10-20 times depending on how bad it is.

Then I do other one where I stick my arm straight out in front of me with my wrist bent up and sort of push my shoulder forward a little. Then keeping the wrist bend up and arm straight I move my arm to the side (away from me not, across my chest). I do the same thing where I stop when it starts to hurt and wiggle the fingers and start over again trying to go further the next time.

I don't know know well it works on thumbs since my thumb doesn't hurt. I feel it mostly in my shoulder and the inside of my elbow while I'm doing the exercises and a little bit in my pointer and middle fingers (those are the ones that hurt on me). My hand does feel better after I do them though since the median nerve runs all the way down the arm.
    Cracking sometimes suggest insufficient vitamin D and/or calcium.

Vitamin K2 MK-4 is recommended when taking vitamin D (at least 100 micrograms : 1000 IU, with 200-400 micrograms or more being even better), as it directs calcium away from soft tissue and to where it's needed. Also, magnesium (or anything else that increases hyaluronic acid) tends to improve joint lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    My lower back has been 'crinkly' since about age 50. It doesn't hurt yet, but I think a lot of the good stuff has worn away due to bad posture and rather long and heavy torso.

My upper back used to get quite tight due to stress and aforementioned reasons. An occasional massage and a few visits to a chiropracter did wonders for that.

It's not the back, but for stress release I massage my own head (joking aside) to move the scalp around.
    You can look into silica (as monomethylsilanetriol or maybe bamboo extract powder), vitamin K2 MK-4 (at least 1.5 milligrams), magnesium, and MSM. And a good multivitamin (even Life Extension Two-Per-Day) to buffer against any introduced imbalances.

Vitamin D increases calcium absorption. Vitamin K2 MK-4 gives calcium "hooks" and proper direction. Silica, by triggering collagen synthesis, results in integration of calcium; and stronger bones, teeth, skin, hair, nails, joints, tendons, etc. Magnesium helps maintain bone/joint strength, hyaluronic acid production, and calcium absorption. MSM provides sulfur and is biased toward joints.

Silica! Silica! Silica! It may be the most profound supplement to increase bone/collagen health and reduce outward signs of aging.

Monomethylsilanetriol's high bioavailability (64%) results in silica buffers being replenished in ~3 months at 12mg/day, ~1.5 months at 24mg/day, or ~3 weeks at 24mg 2x/day. Increasing stores from 7 grams (typical) to 20 grams (preferred) can take 5-10 years at 12mg/day, as it relies on bone turnover.
    Last edited by baccheion; 11-17-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I worked a desk job for 30 years (i.e. sitting) and don't have any chronic back pain issues. Heavy lifting or one of the banes of my existence (snow shoveling) can make my back stiff for a bit, but not painful.

Just to be a contrarian, I wonder if my terrible posture actually helps. I rarely sit straight. I often slouch forward, lean to the side (chin on hand, like the thinker), lean back with feet on desk and keyboard in lap, and other various sitting poses 100% not recommended by the posture nannies.

No standing desks or those weird ergonomic knee chairs or anything like that either. Just a basic low back desk chair with some tilt and swivel.