Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back issues

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Have you tried switching what you sleep on? This helped my mate a lot about 10 years ago and I've reaped some benefits as well. I could sleep on concrete floors at 18, no way I'm doing that again.
    I have to wonder if I'd slept on less concrete if my back would be more tolerant today.

It's a spouse thing... I need concrete minus 100... my wife needs concrete minus 10000. So, we do concrete minus 5000. I refuse to be such a wimp as to spend 1000's of dollars on a mattress. I suppose it's just a thing with me. I refuse to get old or give in to oldness. If everyone else is sleeping on concrete, I can too damnit! I still like to think I'm tougher than that or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh yeah. I'm giving my back five years before I can't work at my job anymore. I even took the drop handlebars off of my bike like an old geezer. It's my neck more than my back. I've tried nothing and am all out of options!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    i used to get bad sciatic nerve pain until i started sleeping on an air mattress

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i get back pain cuz of my long work hours. i’m “too young” for it so it worries me but i also try to stretch and relax (baths and, rarely, massages) whenever i can. i also get other problems like my wrist is stiff but it’s not exactly carpal tunnel. i don’t know what the problem is cuz i only go to the doctor when i’m dying.

during my breaks i have been recovering quickly so i’m not too worried beyond the day to day dealing with discomfort.

it’s only bad bad when i get only like an hour of sleep or something... but i know what the problem is in that case.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I have to wonder if I'd slept on less concrete if my back would be more tolerant today.

It's a spouse thing... I need concrete minus 100... my wife needs concrete minus 10000. So, we do concrete minus 5000. I refuse to be such a wimp as to spend 1000's of dollars on a mattress. I suppose it's just a thing with me. I refuse to get old or give in to oldness. If everyone else is sleeping on concrete, I can too damnit! I still like to think I'm tougher than that or something.
    Strong support seems to be much better than softness. If I sleep in soft fluffy bed, I'll wake up in terrible pain. I sleep on concrete and I may have a hard time getting to sleep, but I'll wake up with spots of discomfort on the contact patch, but my back will be fine. It's why I went to a shikibuton on the floor. By itself, it's just a little too little for comfort--left me feeling my ribs if you know what I mean. But on top of a thin area rug is pretty much perfect. Now if I could just find a good pillow that will stay put...

I'm thinking my ideal bed and pillow probably involves something like those stress balls filled with sand.

But with the option for heat in winter or if I'm feeling ill.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    that back though
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i get back pain cuz of my long work hours. i’m “too young” for it so it worries me but i also try to stretch and relax (baths and, rarely, massages) whenever i can. i also get other problems like my wrist is stiff but it’s not exactly carpal tunnel. i don’t know what the problem is cuz i only go to the doctor when i’m dying.
    Do you work on a tablet? I also get pain in my hand and wrist I think from using a tablet frequently at work. It actually started up my whole arm for awhile. My physical therapist says it's the median nerve because it goes into my pointer and middle finger. There's exercises that I do for it that help. They are hard to describe, but I'm sure there's info online about them or similar exercises.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Do you work on a tablet? I also get pain in my hand and wrist I think from using a tablet frequently at work. It actually started up my whole arm for awhile. My physical therapist says it's the median nerve because it goes into my pointer and middle finger. There's exercises that I do for it that help. They are hard to describe, but I'm sure there's info online about them or similar exercises.
    i prefer working on a tablet and that's what i've normally done, but for the past few months it's been almost entirely my laptop which is really terrible cuz it's a trackpad... so from holding my hand in a really stupid position (?) the thumb side of my hand and my wrist gets stiff. i don't know how to describe it either. i'd be interested in knowing the hand exercises though.

for the past two months, whenever i rotate my wrist, it cracks. i've been told to not crack it. tbh i don't really know if that presents any kind of long-term problem, but the way it sounds doesn't sound "normal." edit: i've been wearing a wrist guard though, and that stopped the cracking. idk why.

when working on a tablet i haven't experienced problems yet maybe cuz i'm working more efficiently on it, idk.

i have lots of issues with how i have to work right now, like i find myself unable to focus lately unless i'm outside on a laptop. it's stuff i gotta work out. :/
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    xNxx
    My lower back saga:

My back issues have probably been creeping up on me for years. I thought I just had a "lateral asymmetry." Then one night after some long sessions I woke up with a terrible searing pain down my leg. It was severe enough that I had to go lay on the floor and take ibuprofen to fall asleep. Assuming I had just pulled something, I tried to ibuprofen it away for a couple weeks. Eventually I went to a PT, who told me that my whole sacral region was twisted. She suggested lots of core work and stretching, in addition to relearning how to walk. We still didn't know what was causing it, but the exercises made my pain a little better. Also, I switched desk chairs to a harder chair. Slowly my pain went from a constant 7-8 down to about a 4-5, with some flare ups. Success was initially measured by times I woke up in the middle of night, which eventually dropped to zero. Then, success became how many times I had to use ibuprofen and nerve drugs. "Lateral asymmetry" be the root cause of my issues, but it turns out that what I thought was a pulled glute, piriformis syndrome, or a bulging disk was actually levoscoliosis, meaning my spine bows slightly to the left. .

Simply getting a diagnosis made the pain drop significantly, because my brain finally understood why it was happening. I still do the same PT stuff, but put extra effort in making sure the weak/stretched side of my back and spine is getting more use than the other. The pain has dropped to a 1-3 with some flareups into a 5-6. I'm back in the gym and back to using ibuprofen only every few weeks. In the gym I make sure to do a proper warmup, program intuitively rather than trying to do sheiko or texas method like a psychopath, and make sure that I stretch and do core work every day.

Diagnosing the actual root issue of back pain is notoriously difficult.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i prefer working on a tablet and that's what i've normally done, but for the past few months it's been almost entirely my laptop which is really terrible cuz it's a trackpad... so from holding my hand in a really stupid position (?) the thumb side of my hand and my wrist gets stiff. i don't know how to describe it either. i'd be interested in knowing the hand exercises though.

for the past two months, whenever i rotate my wrist, it cracks. i've been told to not crack it. tbh i don't really know if that presents any kind of long-term problem, but the way it sounds doesn't sound "normal." edit: i've been wearing a wrist guard though, and that stopped the cracking. idk why.

when working on a tablet i haven't experienced problems yet maybe cuz i'm working more efficiently on it, idk.

i have lots of issues with how i have to work right now, like i find myself unable to focus lately unless i'm outside on a laptop. it's stuff i gotta work out. :/
    I don't know if the cracking is bad or not. The ball of my pointer finger cracks frequently when I open my hand all the way and that's also one of my fingers that hurts sometimes. I think my issue with the tablet is I got in the habit of using the stylus for everything and stopped using a mouse for awhile. I sit at a desk at work all day so my hand was basically in a writing position all day. I have since switched back to using a mouse when I'm doing things that I don't really need the stylus for to give my hand a break from being in the same position all day.

Anyway, here's an exercise similar to the one I was taught for my median nerve pain. I couldn't find the exact exercises I was taught. I just tried doing this one in the video and it seems to work the same way as the ones I was taught.

The way I was taught my arm starts more down by my side and slightly behind me and I don't do the head turn thing. The hand / wrist position is the same. Then keeping my arm straight I raise it until it starts to hurt. Then wiggle my fingers to release some of the tension. Then start over and try to raise my arm higher the next time. I do it like 10-20 times depending on how bad it is.

Then I do other one where I stick my arm straight out in front of me with my wrist bent up and sort of push my shoulder forward a little. Then keeping the wrist bend up and arm straight I move my arm to the side (away from me not, across my chest). I do the same thing where I stop when it starts to hurt and wiggle the fingers and start over again trying to go further the next time.

I don't know know well it works on thumbs since my thumb doesn't hurt. I feel it mostly in my shoulder and the inside of my elbow while I'm doing the exercises and a little bit in my pointer and middle fingers (those are the ones that hurt on me). My hand does feel better after I do them though since the median nerve runs all the way down the arm.