Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many INTPs smoke?

Type
    xxxx

Why do so many INTPs smoke?

Seems like most members here smoke or have smoked habitually. Speculate why.

Also, schizophrenic tend to be smokers too compared to the percentage of smokers of the gen pop.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    is it anxiety? wanting social acceptance? then you get addicted idk.

i don't mean to sound judgmental, i've never smoked.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INFJ
    Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihmmhmmhmmmmmulaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa atuh.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    ISFP
    Amazing now I have another reason to believe I'm crazy.
    Damn, why cannot normal people leave alone creative people? Its like they are trying to erase us for our obvious superiority.
    And wait. I don't mean art.
    I mean creative people as a whole. In communication, ideas, music, art, clothes, whatever you can think of.
    Hell.

Anyway, about smoke, I never smoked until I was 26 or so. Last two years I've been doing 1 box per day, sometimes less. For me it is a moment for thinking and saying, OK, time to do stuff, and kick into some activity.
    Sometimes it is just pleasure, easy shut up to my need or killing time until the bus comes.
    But in the end it is just an addiction, a bad routine.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i have a theory that smoking symbolizes being more "liberated" than other people...

actually it's not my theory, it's a piece of PR history i remember from documentary the century of the self.

that's specifically about how this marketing guy edward bernays (whose uncle was sigmund freud) made smoking cigarettes synonymous with women's liberation.

so yeah i tend to think of the motivation to start smoking cigs as "self-expression" more than anything else. as a kid i used to collect anti-tobacco propaganda and i've always been against the industry, plus people around me smoked a lot and i saw it as a nasty smelly habit, which is why i never started.

this might be more rare but this is my "why i never smoked" intp story.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i have a theory that smoking symbolizes being more "liberated" than other people...

actually it's not my theory, it's a piece of PR history i remember from documentary the century of the self..
    I love Adam Curtis' stuff. That smoking story is one of my favorite things. I think Terry O'Reilly covered it in his Age of Persuasion series too I think; I heard him talk about it on CBC anyway.
    stupid pancakes.

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    I'll buy a pack of crushes every now and then and smoke them like a cigar. It's pretty logical in my opinion. Cigarettes are already a waste of money, so financially inhaling them doesn't matter. As far as health, you reduce the addictive qualities, and no loss on your lungs, while still enjoying the taste and smell of tobacco. The whole inhaling harsh chemicals thing is overkill. Even if it's frowned upon by smokers not to inhale copd causing chemicals in my lungs, then at least I could still run a mile.
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    Schizophrenics also have some difference in their nicotinic receptors compared to gen pop, afaik. At least that's what I understood when I first learned about the high percentage of Schizophrenics who were also smokers (like over 90% iirc).

Anyhow, I don't smoke...both parents did, though. Dad still does.

Smokers I know tend to have better access to info...much gossip happens at smoke pits, I gather.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    I started smoking pretty young, around 13. From a young age I had wanted to do all the illegal drugs and everything I was warned away from. I saw myself as a bad kid and felt that was my calling, I guess. I couldn't get them easily enough to really have a habit until I turned 18 though. Then I quit like ten years later. I still miss them all the time.

Type
    xxxx
    Don't smoke, never have.