Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many INTPs smoke?

Type
    INTP
    My grandma used to smoke cigarettes like a chimney, but now she has to drag around an oxygen tank and every time she coughs it sounds like the predator has been incubating in her lungs and is now past the larve phase and is ready to burst out of her body and devour everybody while we say grace during thanksgiving.

So yeah, kinda turns me off to that whole deal. Plus, the stained teeth and having your skin look like someone could strike a match off your face.

I've smoked a few socially in the past but it never really did anything for me.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    It helped with public speaking when I was 20, but I didn't tell anyone for some time, I was ashamed.

Anyway, I've been quitting almost every year since I was about 28. The longest was 1.5 years, but it's usually a few months. If I did any exercise at all a certain year, then I quit that year, which is practically every year. Sometimes I did gym so I could quit. Sometimes I quit so I could do gym.

I quit a few months ago (again). More for vanity than health (gotta think about my skin ). I learned that you can't smoke while on the pill at my age, because you can suffer a stroke. That sucks because I always thought deep down that I could smoke again for a while and then quit again, indefinitely. When the doctor told me about that risk, I was visibly dismayed, so she thought I might be lying about not smoking anymore. Lady, I was quitting P-style, don't you get it!
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I once said no, but it just sat there singing, "Mama sa mama sa mama coosa"

Type
    INtP
    Statistically it's probably because depression. I'm hesitant to say as such because although the facts are out there regarding the correlation, I don't think anybody I know who smokes would agree that it pertains to them.

There is a little bit of evidence out there that extroverts are more inclined to be smokers than introverts...something about extroverts being more receptive to dopamine.

My grandfather had Parkinson's, and I have some signs of a "parkinsonian personality," so ironically it could have done me some good to smoke. I started smoking for stupid reasons, continued smoking because I was addicted, and then finally quit five years ago. There are many reasons why I quit but I think I have a fundamentally different mental schema between adults (no kids) who smoke and parents who smoke.

Type
    IXTP
    According to Kurt Vonnegut Smoking is the classiest form of suicide.

Type
    INXP
    I think I had my first cigarette at like 10 or something crazy like that. I also have a form of schizophrenia. So as Rob said, that has an effect on me... or something.

I am burnt out at trying to quit honestly. I can't stand failing at things, hence my dismay.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    I think I had my first cigarette at like 10 or something crazy like that. I also have a form of schizophrenia. So as Rob said, that has an effect on me... or something.

I am burnt out at trying to quit honestly. I can't stand failing at things, hence my dismay.

Kali's Easy Way to Quit Smoking

1. Stop smoking for one month. C'mon you can make it to one month.
    2. Buy two packets, attend a party. Try to smoke as many cigs in that night - at least one pack. Drink until mildly drunk.
    3. Get a friend to drive you home. The longer the drive, the better.
    4. Become violently ill in the car. Out loud, swear off cigarettes forever.

There you go. Aversion therapy. If this doesn't work, repeat the process. The aim is to create a neurological connection between pain and smoking.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    i was curious about addiction...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    Nicotine is frequently used for its performance-enhancing effects on cognition, alertness, and focus.[38] A meta-analysis of 41 double-blind, placebo-controlled studies concluded that nicotine or smoking had significant positive effects on aspects of fine motor abilities, alerting and orienting attention, and episodic and working memory.[39] A 2015 review noted that stimulation of the α4β2 nicotinic receptor is responsible for certain improvements in attentional performance;[40] among the nicotinic receptor subtypes, nicotine has the highest binding affinity at the α4β2 receptor (ki=1 nM), which is also the biological target that mediates nicotine's addictive properties.[41] Nicotine has potential beneficial effects, but it also has paradoxical effects, which may be due to its inverted U-shape or pharmacokinetic features.[42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

It helped me focus, and was an amazing friend for an introvert.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i was curious about addiction...
    it's cool, I feel alive.
    stupid pancakes.