Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many INTPs smoke?

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Kali's Easy Way to Quit Smoking

1. Stop smoking for one month. C'mon you can make it to one month.
    2. Buy two packets, attend a party. Try to smoke as many cigs in that night - at least one pack. Drink until mildly drunk.
    3. Get a friend to drive you home. The longer the drive, the better.
    4. Become violently ill in the car. Out loud, swear off cigarettes forever.

There you go. Aversion therapy. If this doesn't work, repeat the process. The aim is to create a neurological connection between pain and smoking.
    This is pretty bad advice, not going to lie...
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    This is pretty bad advice, not going to lie...
    I think there's some merit here. The easiest times for me to pause using nicotine are when I have a flu or a cold; cigarettes start to taste really gross and just aren't fun anymore.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INTP
    It's probably due to some nutrient and/or neurotransmitter imbalance. That is, marijuana lowers acetylcholine (and increases endorphins) and nicotine increases choline receptor activity (and endorphins).

I wonder how many have tried improving diet and/or taking a good multivitamin (like AOR Ortho-Core or Life Extension Mix). I bet they'd eliminate many negative issues.

Alternatives: serotonin and GABA lowers acetylcholine; 5 mg memantine antagonizes nicotinic acetylcholine receptors resulting in upregulation; aniracetam lowers anxiety and increases public speaking ability; piracetam increases verbal fluidity and ability to multitask; DL-phenylalanine slows breakdown of endorphins and increases dopamine; PEA + hordenine (selegiline is even better; + alpha-GPC if acetylcholine isn't high enough) simulates runner's high and the feeling of being in love; etc.

My favorite nootropic is N-acetyl semax amidate (+ N-acetyl selank if it causes anxiety) cycled/alternated monthly with P21/cerebrolysin. Both improve mood and cognition.

It's been said piracetam drastically reduces nicotine cravings.

Motivation: http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...ses-motivation

Supplements (for each neurotransmitter): https://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=26344

That is, there's probably a simpler/cleaner approach.

TL;DR: DL-phenylalanine (+ hordenine) for mood; noopept + alpha-GPC (+ maybe aniracetam) to replace smoking.
    Last edited by baccheion; 11-17-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Type
    INTP
    because it's cool?

didn't you ever see the camel?
    Last edited by BillyBibbit; 11-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.

It's an addictive mild nootropic that appeals to those with impulse control issues and a stunning lack of common sense. The heaviest smoker in my group is enfp. It overlaps a lot with a.d.d.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    [*]Stop smoking for one month. C'mon you can make it to one month.[*]Buy two packets, attend a party. Try to smoke as many cigs in that night - at least one pack. Drink until mildly drunk.[*]Get a friend to drive you home. The longer the drive, the better.[*]Become violently ill in the car. Out loud, swear off cigarettes forever.[/LIST]

There you go. Aversion therapy. If this doesn't work, repeat the process. The aim is to create a neurological connection between pain and smoking.
    this is such a personalitycafe.com pop psychology answer, and the fact that you (might) think this is acceptable advice is blowing my mind

Type
    INTP
    That's like the time I quit smoking by doing meth until my brain stopped working for a while.

Type
    INTP
    i have a theory that the majority of the issues from smoking are associated with the 100's of additives and radioactive fertilizers they put on tobacco.

i currently smoke organic additive free tobacco and experience no short term negative effects as i did with typical tobacco. these would include frequent illness, weakened immune system, and bronchial infections.

i'll let you know if my experiment succeeds in 15-20 years! or less!

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBibbit View Post
    i have a theory that the majority of the issues from smoking are associated with the 100's of additives and radioactive fertilizers they put on tobacco.
    I bet filtering it through your tinfoil hat gives it a bit of a metallic taste...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I bet filtering it through your tinfoil hat gives it a bit of a metallic taste...
    ok, douchebag
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ertilizer.aspx
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2509609/