Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation letters

Recommendation letters

Long story short
    I need to email three people and ask them to fill out a recommendation form for me online for my graduate program

I hate asking for shit like this, and it pains me that it is a requirement

Please provide me an example, not from Google (I've already looked at those), of how one of these emails to a professor should look -- begging them for a letter of recommendation while maintaining some dignity & not feeling entitled to one/expecting them to even check the email

Templates please. I am dying over here

Now I am wondering if I have asked here before and just forgot to follow up
    FUCK

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    Long story short
    I need to email three people and ask them to fill out a recommendation form for me online for my graduate program

Please provide me an example, not from Google (I've already looked at those), of how one of these emails to a professor should look -- begging them for a letter of recommendation while maintaining some dignity & not feeling entitled to one/expecting them to even check the email

Hmm. Working on it... stand by(ish).
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    ...fill out a recommendation form...
    Out of curiosity, do you know approximately how long the form takes to fill out?
    stupid pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by itch View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know approximately how long the form takes to fill out?
    No clue.

Type
    INxP
    Long story short

Don't worry about it. Writing such letters is a part of life for them. (It kinda sucks but such is life; they get it.)

Personally I would say not to use a "template". They will probably notice and not appreciate the fill-in-the-blanks approach.

Instead be sure to include:

The request (i.e., don't demand): "Could you provide a reference letter for me?" rather than "I need a reference letter."

If they don't know you too well, how you know them (I was in your class X in semester Y and I did project Z, blah blah) and why you are asking them specifically.

Information about the position you're applying for (what kind of programme, where, why you are applying). Give a link if possible.

Depending on how well you know them, you may want to prompt them on aspects they could highlight (some awards you won, some project very fitting with the position). Otherwise if you're not sure, let them ask.

The deadline and instructions for how to submit. Any other formal requirements (length limit).

Express some gratitude in advance. Thank them after it's all done.

Type
    INFJ
    No clue.
    Coolio. Just checking.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    Have you already chosen who you will ask? Are they professors and how well do you know them (or rather how well do they know you)?
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INTP
    Utisz gave solid advice.

I'd add not to wear out your welcome. Some of those recommendation sites are a pain in the ass. It's good when I can copy and paste my recommendation, submit and done. But some of them want you to fill out a million fields and write custom essays that explain how the student matches the fellowship and it takes a long time. Consider how much time you're actually asking of your recommenders, and if you're applying to a bunch of stuff, don't throw it all onto the same three or four people.

Type
    INTP
    I live with a professor (Hanna). Utisz gave you a great template. Also have a CV/resume prepared to send them in case they ask. Hanna always does.

Please give them time advance (more than three weeks). I literally watch Hanna write multiple recommendations and she spends a good few hours on each one. Don't be afraid to hound them if they agree. They need friendly reminders that something is due.

Also: asking for something sucks, but this is a common thing to ask. It's part of their job as service to the university. Most professors are happy to do it unless they are on leave or something.