Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Person Shooters are the bane of VR

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sidebar I've been meaning to mention: If you bump into furniture or walls using VR, you're either an idiot and deserve it for not clearing your play area, or your friends/roomates are assholes and you need to upgrade to better ones.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    For people who like turn based strategy games, I found one that proves out my ideals for how they could be done in VR. The underlying system is a little underwhelming at the moment--overly simplistic, but I've been fooled by simplicity before, and I've only done one mission.

What they've done right: details.

The music is cheery martial. The units are anteaters. The tech is WWI. Some of you are already on board. The Touch controller representations in game are wood textured. Brilliant!

Imagine a tabletop wargame with animated pieces that you can either have your over head god view, get arbitrarily close to examine the details of the pieces and set-pieces, adjust the table height so they are anywhere from eye level to five feet below (I know because adjusting the height includes a handy meter telling you the distance from the default ground level), or you can warp down to their size and get a grunt's eye view. This is such a wargame.

The details are fantastic--the trees have individual leaves that move in a breeze. There are planes swooping around overhead. The trucks look like trucks, the rocks like rocks, the rivers have flowing water, and the troops look like anteaters in doughboy gear. The upgrade system changes your basecamp appearance in a satisfying manner. You can either have a roomscale experience or use teleporting to move around--it's all gorgeous and makes me smile.

In the first battle, there is a house next to a river, and on the backside of that house, there's an old anteater in a rocking chair reading a newspaper. You can scrutinize! Tragically, the newspaper is illegible, but it looks like a newspaper, and that's what counts.

After the first battle, there was a tree in the distance with an envelope above it. I clicked on the tree with my laser pointer, and was treated to a young anteater writing a letter-from-home to a soldier, read aloud by what was undoubtedly a developer's kid--but it works and was a charming way to introduce lore.

It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot closer than most of the stuff I've tried. It's biggest drawback is that the battle system is a little rigid and just as janky as an old Steve Jackson wargame. Dice roll behind the scenes and things lose morale or die. Still, it proves out my theses.

Another one I tried is Dispatch. I believe it will just be a story game--the free demo in the OR store had zero interactivity, but the art style works amazingly well for how utterly conceptual it is. Worth looking at the demo just to see what can be done with minimalist wireframe type art. I don't know it would have worked as well as a 2d image, but in VR space, it's gripping.

On the disappointing end, Star Trek: Bridge Commander gets off on a bad foot by being published by Ubisoft. HISSSSSSSSSSSS! Fucking uPlay. Fucking Ubi. They find a way to turn everything they touch to shit, and uPlay has accelerated that from years to immediate.

Not that uPlay is the only thing I was disappointed with.

First experience was a little jarring because the default avatar is a skinny woman. I'm a fat man so I'm accustomed to having boobs, but I'm not accustomed to having thighs that look like that--nor am I accustomed to having spindly emaciated fingers. I found the reverse kinematics involved in predicting where my arms would be based on the hand controller and headset data amusing, then transparent. That part is alright, and the avatar is slightly customizable--I couldn't come close to anything that resembled me--so I settled for something that resembled a disgruntled gas station attendant.

The environment is gorgeous and those Starfleet regulation skirts are only half of the eye candy--as is to be expected from anyone who grew up with a Starfleet regulations manual.

Where it all goes to shit is the gameplay. I'm ok with having to learn. The tutorials are copious and involved and each workstation has a credible complexity coupled with acceptable simplicity under the hood. It's easy to see how the gears mesh and how a team that practiced would work like a well oiled machine. It's just a shame they were hampered by the need to make everything touch screen driven.

The first station I tried was the helm, because my penis insisted that the first thing anyone in their right head would do given the opportunity to control a giant spaceship is drive it. My penis didn't know at the time that piloting this spaceship amounted to limp dragging your finger around a circle on an imaginary desk. It has all the precision of fingerpainting with half the immersion (I just don't believe that would ever be the control scheme) and none of the satisfaction. Even if you manage not to whang into anything, you can never escape the certainty that it had nothing to do with skill. This impression is further reinforced when most of the navigation options are pretty much just giving orders to a machine and waiting out a timer.

*yawn.

I next attempted the Captain's chair, because that's what my balls said was next. I fiddled with giving orders but refused to let them use voice commands because no, I don't want to turn on the microphone in my headset and have IBM's Watson figure out what I said. In hindsight that was a mistake. I had the opportunity to make Watson my bitch via the internet to control a virtual spaceship in virtual space and I didn't take it. Ah well, lesson learned there.

Here's where they failed the hardest: they are way too serious about this being a seated experience. I tried to stand up and went blind. The headset stopped showing me the bridge and instead gave me an "out of bounds" message on a black screen. In what universe does a bloody Starfleet captain not stand up to monologue? Ubisoft's. I told you those jerks turn gold into shit.

100% fail for that alone.

I attempted to use the weapons but wasn't permitted to. How lame would it be to run a position where doing the wrong thing isn't even an option? Very. Consequently I have no comment on combat.

I did not attempt to science. I couldn't take the heartbreak.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    It's also not a peripheral you can leave plugged in. Even when not in use it will cause a noticeable drop in system performance--though thankfully the sensors do not. That said, the sensors are a non-trivial security concern. In the case of the Oculus, my research shows they're low-grade webcams modified to focused on capturing IR beams from the sensors on the headseat and Touch controllers. The meta-data is mangled but a savvy tech user can edit them so they are readable as blocky bad greyscale images, but they are still there and if your machine is compromised, you might be too--which is why I love doing VR naked. Because if you are spying on me, you deserve to see my flaccid junk flopping around as I shoot robots.
    Asking this as a technological retard who is willfully ignorant of most current events because they vex me:

1. Who would be spying on you?
    2. Why would they be spying on you in particular?
    3. What would they do with your information?
    4. Would it really be worth it to shift out the useful information from the noise in terms of available resources?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Asking this as a technological retard who is willfully ignorant of most current events because they vex me:

1. Who would be spying on you?
    2. Why would they be spying on you in particular?
    3. What would they do with your information?
    4. Would it really be worth it to shift out the useful information from the noise in terms of available resources?
    Google unsecured webcam. This isn't a specific paranoia like "the gummint is out to get me". It's an awareness that of the billions on the global internet, there are enough assholes to warrant serious consideration.

To put it another way, do you take any precautions against computer viruses? Spyware and malware in general? Have you ever spotted phishing attempts? Ever received a robocall?

I'm just talking run of the mill snoops and malicious assholes. If somehow my machine is compromised and someone puts in the effort to gain access to the images those sensors produce, it amuses me that the reward for their effort might be a naked fat man's floppy phallus flouncing about at eye level. Serve em right is all I'm saying.

If it were legal I'd electrify the underside of my car door handle when the vehicle was locked to zap prowlers testing the defenses.

Type
    Intp
    heh, so this is happening https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro/

I'm tempted to buy it when this comes out, especially considering the wireless option as an add-on. It seems to have everything, including cameras for AR.

Type
    InTP
    The only thing that makes vr look fun to me

"A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    heh, so this is happening https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro/

I'm tempted to buy it when this comes out, especially considering the wireless option as an add-on. It seems to have everything, including cameras for AR.
    What's really cool is that I can get just the headset and wireless and it will work with my existing light towers.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    What's really cool is that I can get just the headset and wireless and it will work with my existing light towers.
    Yarp. And if you decide to spring for the new headset, it will work with your existing light towers and controllers too. They're doing it right on that front.

Meanwhile, over in Rift land... I don't see that happening. From what I'm reading the Santa Cruz project is an attempt to be both untethered and use inside out camera based tracking--and I haven't been able to work out if it's going to be streaming from a PC or just a beefier version of the Occulus Go--which is like the upcoming Vive Wave.

I find the OR Go and Vive Wave to be worthy, but I might think differently if I didn't already have a suitable desktop for VR.