Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emails on a Saturday

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I send work emails at any time, any day of the week. I sent one yesterday at 3 AM on a Friday night. I don't care when they reply, I assume that they won't read or reply till Monday, and that's fine. Doesn't mean I have to remember what I was gonna say for two fucking days, just to keep up some appearance of having a normal life.
    yeah but you're a Phoenician of sorts are you not?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    yeah but you're a Phoenician of sorts are you not?
    Huh?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Huh?
    Like a person of importance

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Email is not intrusive in these days of WhatsApp and other forms of instant messaging. That, I can't stand. I already can't stand clients whatsapping me during regular work hours.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i'm pretty strategic about when i send any sort of formal/work email. out of courtesy i'll try to only send them during work hours on weekdays cuz i know how annoying it is to receive them any other time, and there is this unspoken expectation that they'll be attended to at some point during work hours. if i need it to be seen first thing in the morning, i'll write it whenever, save the draft then send the email at 8am on a workday. if i need it to be seen but it would be good to let them sit on it for some time, i might send one earlier, giving them a good window before i need it to be attended to, but i generally avoid 8 - 9-ish pm - 6am.

admittedly i kinda judge people who send emails or call you outside work hours cuz i just really hate being expected to be "at work" when i'm not, and i think that expectation to always be on call is really terrible part of a very work-oriented culture.

i don't take for granted that "peace of mind" you get outside work, i don't want people intruding on that and i try to extend the same courtesy.

about specifically sending emails on the weekend, i will if i absolutely have to but obviously don't expect it to be attended to outside work hours.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    I only look at work e-mail when I'm at work. Someone sending me e-mail on a Saturday would not annoy me, but I also would not read it until Monday.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    How horrible is it to send an email on a Saturday asking for a favor that concerns the work week?

Asking from a recipient point of view because the only emails I get are spam

How big of a turd am I for sending email on a Saturday is basically what I am asking
    I wouldn't see this as a very big deal. Emails are a lot less intrusive, then say, a phone call -- You can open, read, and respond to emails without the pressure of needed to give an immediate response.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Hehe just today, like 2 hours ago i sent my professor the index for my final project on uni
    I was like, I was wondering if you could check it out and give me green light to start writing it
    Yeah at 2 am Saturday night fever

Type
    INTP
    I'd say it's really only a problem if it's because of something you get done earlier in the week because of negligence. I don't think work stuff really stays confined to business hours. Like others have said, it may not get answered until Monday but I'm not sure anyone really cares.

For most of my jobs, though, it'd take a near catastrophic event before I'd email my boss or big boss for something on a w/e. Not because there'd a problem with it, like my boss wouldn't care, but I don't want my boss to think it's OK for him or her to email me with something on my time away from the office. And that's exactly what you'd be doing.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    ok cool I think I'm not ever going to do that again