Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic testing

Damned
    Type
    INTP

Genetic testing

I'm going to take one of those genetic tests. They sell the kit in drug stores for about $20 and you have to pay about $180 for the actual analysis. For that price the one I saw tells you about your heritage and medical stuff. Any useful information to share? I think there are competing ones. I'll research more before I buy. I may use the results to help me decide where to move. I might want to live near a hospital that's among the best for treating whatever I'm most likely to get.

Type
    INTP
    I did the 23 and me one. I thought it was interesting. And I like that they keep updating your results, so when they expand the range of things they are testing for, you get new results for free. I found out I carried two genes or... I can’t think of the right word... but there is a chance that I could develop a disease that causes iron to build up in your blood and it damages your organs, and frequently there are no warnings until your organs have already been damaged. So you can bet I’m going to keep an eye on my iron levels from now on, which would have never occurred to me before. I think it’s a good idea.

Type
    INTP
    I don't think the information they offer is worth the risk. I'm usually not too concerned about data harvesting, but the potential for what you could do with genetic information for a large enough portion of the population is kinda scary.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    My Sister paid a lot to have ours done. I'm 55% West African (Cote d'Ivoire), 25% Jewish (Ashkenazi), 19% French/Scandinavian, 1% Chop Suey (Asian mish mash) - which I always knew because the recessive trait of epicanthic folds hasn't been bred out yet.

I wonder if the mother land is still accepting 25 percenters on the kibbutz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    I was all ready to buy the kit for $200, then I saw there's a 50% off sale if you buy two and I don't know anyone else who may be interested so I'm waiting for a sale that would benefit me. I wasn't going to ask, but anyone here want to split the $200? Then I can mail you your kit (you spit into a container) then I guess you can mail it from wherever you are, or else you'd have to mail it to me and I'd mail it. The sale is supposedly until midnight. I have a Paypal account so I guess I can take Paypal.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    i did 23andme; wasn't worth the money

on second thought, maybe it was because i now know that i have 50-something% more neanderthal dna than other people sequenced on 23andme

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    i did 23andme; wasn't worth the money

on second thought, maybe it was because i now know that i have 50-something% more neanderthal dna than other people sequenced on 23andme
    Ahh see, that's how they get you. They actually tell that same result to a certain percentage of their customers by default, and a significant number of those customers will pay again for a re-test.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I was all ready to buy the kit for $200, then I saw there's a 50% off sale if you buy two and I don't know anyone else who may be interested so I'm waiting for a sale that would benefit me. I wasn't going to ask, but anyone here want to split the $200? Then I can mail you your kit (you spit into a container) then I guess you can mail it from wherever you are, or else you'd have to mail it to me and I'd mail it. The sale is supposedly until midnight. I have a Paypal account so I guess I can take Paypal.
    fyi: the full 23andme analysis is on sale for $150.

I'm tempted to put it on my Christmas list, this sort of thing seems a bit too frivolous for me to spend my own money on. Like 2hype's story, there might be a condition I could be predisposed to and the info might be invaluable.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    The gift of disease diagnosis. There's a Helen Keller joke like that.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    fyi: the full 23andme analysis is on sale for $150.
    Yeah, it was and I just ordered it.