Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Genetic testing

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'd like to do one of those tests. My maternal grandfather was Scottish. I'd like to know how Scottish I am.
    We live here now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    They tested me with a couple of games and I did above average but IDK how old the other people were. I had to click the changing circle and click the moving circle. Then came questions. First: "If forced to choose, would you consider yourself to be more cautious or more adventurous?" Now THAT'S like a personality test question and I bailed. Maybe I'll come back to it eventually.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    random q: speaking of tests -- anyone taken the johnson o'connor aptitude battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My sample arrived there in a couple of days, two days ago according to USPS tracking, but 23andme says "receiving" takes 2-4 weeks. It's still at the "receiving" step.

I let them store the sample, which is optional. I may get more information out of it in the future. Another option was to disclose my full name and something else to people who match as being related to me but that I didn't do. I read something about a disclosure I'd have to make to insurance companies that I want to sign up with if I know certain genetic risks. That may be the worst thing about this. It may effect my rates in the future.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    How long can you hold your hand in ice water?

Take the Cold Pressor Test to help researchers understand the genetics of how we experience pain.
    I have to decide whether I want to do this... so far, no.

Type
    INTP
    I did mine with 23andme a year or two back.... They got the kit to me in about 5 days, and it took about 5-6 weeks to process.

I also used Promethease to parse the data (which is pretty interesting, although there's so many genes that have small bits of tendencies attached overlapping with other genes that it's hard to get a big picture from that... it's more about drill-down views). At the time I did Promethease, they were charging for the upload, then you got 45 days or something before your data was dumped. They currently have had an extended special (I guess they updated their system) where anyone who used them in the past could reupload their data for permanent storage (and yeah, I guess they want to crunch composite data from everyone) without fee and you can create an account and access it ANYTIME for free. But this deal will probably expire Jan 14-15 in case prior users of the service did not get the e-mail.

23andme was okay and is pretty user friendly w/ clean interface, but what I gather is that Ancestry might be better for the family tree folks. I did not have much luck finding relatives on 23andme. The closest hits I got are third cousins and then it goes from there, although I have done some research on my mother's side (with a variety of last names going back through my female lineage) and recognized a few of those unique last names in the genetic hits from other 23andme users.

It did tell me I was predisposed to be 6% heavier than the average for my gender and age. No shit. Except I think my body is nearsighted and thought it said "60%". One thing that surprised me was that I was more French/German than English/Irish (35% vs 25%), and that I was 99.9% European with a 0.1% Asian mix, an ancestor in there about 7-8 generations back. Kind of interesting.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My husband sent his in December 1st, and it came back a few days ago. He is 99.9 percent European, and 0.1 percent East Asian.

His European breaks down into 73 percent Ashkenazi Jew, and the rest is a smattering of British, Irish, German, french, etc. sort of spread out ... no more than about 3 or 4 percent in any one thing. Which makes sense since he is 3/4 Jewish, one quarter Cajun.

Ethnically Jewish. Not religiously Jewish. Someone on here was trying to convince me that wasn't possible not long ago, but I don't remember who.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    My husband sent his in December 1st, and it came back a few days ago. He is 99.9 percent European, and 0.1 percent East Asian.

His European breaks down into 73 percent Ashkenazi Jew, and the rest is a smattering of British, Irish, German, french, etc. sort of spread out ... no more than about 3 or 4 percent in any one thing. Which makes sense since he is 3/4 Jewish, one quarter Cajun.
    Yeah, it's interesting since mine was the same makeup in terms of almost all one thing, with the 0.1% as East Asian too. (Which, since I am interested in stories, makes me wonder who this Asian ancestor was and how s/he got into the mix. 23andme predicts it was sometime around 1750-1790.) I wish there was a way to dig back, but I've only gotten to the early 1800's and am not sure how to proceed further.

Ethnically Jewish. Not religiously Jewish. Someone on here was trying to convince me that wasn't possible not long ago, but I don't remember who.
    Of course people can be ethnically Jewish without practicing or believing. I have ethnically Jewish friends from various walks of life who are agnostic or atheist. It's one of those instances where a nationality can also be a faith but not necessarily.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    Of course people can be ethnically Jewish without practicing or believing. I have ethnically Jewish friends from various walks of life who are agnostic or atheist. It's one of those instances where a nationality can also be a faith but not necessarily.
    It was very interesting to me just how much homogeneity is there. His one quarter Cajun is made up of a whole slew of things, but apparently all three of his Jewish grandparents came from one extremely isolated genetic background. As of my husband's generation, that homogeneity is falling apart. Ethnic Jews marry outside the faith with regularity, and many non-ethnically Jewish people convert just for the purpose of marrying...which is how my husband came to be 1/4 Cajun. That was on his paternal line, so he got the Cajun name, and since he grew up in a Cajun area, that's where he got most of his culture. He rejected the religion from an early age and refused to Bar Mitzvah, to the ongoing chagrin of his poor mother. So he made that decision more the 30 years ago, but somehow she blamed me for it when she realized I wasn't going to convert so that we could get a rabbi to do the wedding. Like she thought I was going to convert to Judaism so that I could marry her Taoist son. She was such a dramatic pita over the whole thing that we eloped and told her after. (We had been planning a lotr wedding...#nerds)

And the point of that is that the older people in the Jewish community are starting to freak out a little at the way religious Judaism is bleeding followers, and at the fact that it looks like in a few generations, very few non-orthodox people will be ethnically Jewish to the degree that Jews have been for so long, instead, they'll just have some Jewish background.

So, 0.1% ashkenazi myself. I have a Jewish ancestor from way before I could possibly hope to trace my ancestry.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I've been checking the website even before receiving email notification and I'm glad I did. My results are in. First thing I found was that I'm likely lactose intolerant, except I eat too much dairy (I'm trying to cut down) and I'm not as far as I know. My ancestry:

European 96.6%
    Southern European 96.6%
    Italian 80.2%
    Balkan 11.6%
    Sardinian 0.2%
    Iberian 0.1%
    Broadly Southern European 4.5%
    Middle Eastern & North African 3.1%
    Middle Eastern 0.9%
    Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 2.2%
    Unassigned 0.3%
    No Data Available --
    Literally all I know about Balka or whatever country it is is that there are "Balkan Islands". Guess I'll do a little research, but it's only 11.6% so no big deal.