Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic testing

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Yeah, it was and I just ordered it.
    It was 99 at full price back when I did it. That was before the FDA stepped in back when you didn't have to figure out the reference number of the gene in question and do a manual search. They gave you everything right up front in your user interface back then.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

While the fda limited analysis isn't super mindblowing, the relatively cheap Promethease.com analysis is. Curiosity overcame my significant reservations.
    Last edited by last_caress; 11-30-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    While the fda limited analysis isn't super mindblowing, the relatively cheap Promethease.com analysis is. Curiosity overcame my significant reservations.
    Yes, there are so many third party sites that will give you in depth analysis on the raw data from your 23 and me (or whatever brand) FDA limited report for cheap, which makes you wonder what it is that the FDA thinks they are limiting.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Yes, there are so many third party sites that will give you in depth analysis on the raw data from your 23 and me (or whatever brand) FDA limited report for cheap, which makes you wonder what it is that the FDA thinks they are limiting.
    I see it as a good faith conservative CYA in the spirit of consumer protection.

Type
    INTP
    You guys are gonna be sorry when a custom virus takes over your brains and turns you into a human botnet.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    You guys are gonna be sorry when a custom virus takes over your brains and turns you into a human botnet.

Type
    INTP
    I did 23 and me with a pre-FDA account. They also later simplified the testing chip to measure less (e.g. the more common stuff people are interested in). I also have had a full genome, which ended up being free due to delays in processing. That one found a defect that 23andme didn't (well there's lots of defects but it found a more important defect, however see below*)

You have to understand though that genetic testing is targeted, they go after particular SNP's or they do it in a particular way. For example a full genome tests for short errors, not things like large blocks which are miscoded, so there are different types of errors they check for. Basically they're good for spot checking, but if you have particular concerns about some defect you want to get a test which targets that and tests that sequence in many different ways.

Other than a handful of defects that kill you when young I believe this kind of static testing isn't that useful presently, because the key is epigenetics or gene expression. Your genes are activated due to environmental pressures, which means how you live is more important than the code you got. Also having a defective snip just means you have a partial which can still encode for that enzyme. Does it still encode well enough? We can't really answer that question yet.

*tl/dr the defect was an enzyme which protects the liver and lungs. My mother was a lifelong smoker who I think died because she stopped breathing (not much lung left and had issues with that). However she also had a fraction of one lung left which was usable at that point, which was 80. She only planned on making it to 80, so I'd call it a long and successful life, and she smoked, and had this defect. She didn't take particularly good care of herself, but did always have garden vegetables with the meals which surely helped.

BAM!

British & Irish 60.3%
    French & German 13.9%
    Scandinavian 2.6%
    Broadly Northwestern European 18.1%
    Iberian 1.7%
    Broadly Southern European 0.5%
    Ashkenazi Jewish Less than 0.1%
    Broadly European 1.9%
    Native American 0.5%
    Broadly East Asian & Native American Less than 0.1%
    Middle Eastern & North African 0.3%
    North African 0.3%
    Unassigned Less than 0.1%

Back Hair Likely little upper back hair
    Bald Spot Likely no bald spot
    Cheek Dimples Likely no dimples
    Cleft Chin Likely no cleft chin
    Earlobe Type Likely detached earlobes WRONG
    Earwax Type Likely wet earwax
    Eye Color Likely lighter eyes
    Finger Length Ratio Likely ring finger longer
    Freckles Likely little freckling
    Hair Curliness Likely straight or wavy
    Light or Dark Hair Likely light
    Male Hair Loss Likely no hair loss
    Newborn Hair Amount Likely little baby hair WRONG
    Photic Sneeze Reflex Likely no photic sneeze reflex WRONG
    Asparagus Odor Detection Likely can smell
    Bitter Taste Likely can taste
    Sweet Taste Likely prefers salty
    Red Hair Likely no red hair
    Skin Pigmentation Likely lighter skin
    Toe Length Ratio Likely second toe longer
    Unibrow Likely little or no unibrow
    Widow's Peak Likely no widow's peak

Genetic Weight Predisposed to weigh less than average ONLY TRUE UNTIL MIDDLE AGE
    Lactose Intolerance Likely tolerant
    Saturated Fat and Weight Likely similar weight
    Alcohol Flush Reaction Unlikely to flush
    Caffeine Consumption Likely to consume more
    Deep Sleep Less likely to be a deep sleeper
    Muscle Composition Common in elite power athletes
    Sleep Movement Likely average or less movement
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    "...it was already known that the newly identified gene—IRF4— is responsible for light hair color in people of European origin. But this is the first time researchers have shown that it’s also tied to gray hair color."

They need to add that.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

I got 2 copies of the "warrior" (dickhead) gene. Also the bad at relationships gene. Look out, ladies