Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Era-defining music from 2000 to now

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Era-defining music from 2000 to now

i know this can be hard to put into words, but what are your picks for "era-defining" music from the past 20-ish years?

like, imagine "oldies radio" in the future. it can't play everything.

share your thoughts on why if you can put it into words.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    personally, adele bores the fuck out of me, but i think this song will be considered one of those.

(i like this song, though.)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

i'm not sure where i heard this, but i heard this song was written from a man's pov. at least that's how it's commonly interpreted.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i know this can be hard to put into words, but what are your picks for "era-defining" music from the past 20-ish years?
    Not to be flippant, but I do not believe there are any era defining songs from 2000-2017.

When I think of "era-defining" I think of music that transcends its own bounds of identity (genre) such that it is universally accepted as the "sound of x" no matter who is hearing it (at least in the western world), where they are from, their race, social class, gender, whatever. For example, when you hear Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth, you think Viet Nam. When you hear the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams it's impossible not to think of the 80's. There are plenty of examples from plenty of genres of music, but they all have one thing in common, at least for me; they are a broader voice addressing greater societal or cultural concerns beyond the individual alone.

In the last decade or so, the most popular songs seem to be less about society and culture and more about the individual. They're reflecting a regression toward self importance and tribalism, be they gangsta ballads or candy pop. Songs about break-ups and street violence are not "era defining"... They're every day.

The situation is not helped by the draconian commercialization of the music industry as a whole either. There are no risks taken in the mainstream, they're not allowed, and all music is boiled down to a common denominator for the masses. If this were the 80's we'd already have about a dozen popular singers/bands taking shots at Donald Trump. If it were the 60's the biggest people would be fearlessly singing about violence in the middle east and so on.

Now, my rant aside, I'm sure on the personal level someone somewhere will develop some kind of nostalgia based off a song playing in the moment something memorable happened to them, but again, that's solely for the individual. It does not have the power of an "era-defining" song in my book.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Not to be flippant, but I do not believe there are any era defining songs from 2000-2017.
    so you can't imagine what would be on a 2000-2020 playlist.

When I think of "era-defining" I think of music that transcends its own bounds of identity (genre) such that it is universally accepted as the "sound of x" no matter who is hearing it (at least in the western world), where they are from, their race, social class, gender, whatever. For example, when you hear Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth, you think Viet Nam. When you hear the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams it's impossible not to think of the 80's. There are plenty of examples from plenty of genres of music, but they all have one thing in common, at least for me; they are a broader voice addressing greater societal or cultural concerns beyond the individual alone.

In the last decade or so, the most popular songs seem to be less about society and culture and more about the individual. They're reflecting a regression toward self importance and tribalism, be they gangsta ballads or candy pop. Songs about break-ups and street violence are not "era defining"... They're every day.
    some of the first songs you'd think of as "era-defining" from the 1960s are "just candy pop." that's what the early beatles were. a lot of motown songs were "just" love songs. what's beach boys? songs about cars, surfing and girls. baby boomer optimism. what do we think of when we think of the 60s? protest songs and more serious songs, along with pop songs talking about trivial shit. that music would be considered era-defining, and it's easy to say that in 2017 that cuz we know what actually stood the test of time. a lot of the songs about love and seemingly trivial parts of life spoke to that audience (plus they speak to today's audience still), and captured the feeling of an era.

every era has its own defining music, and i don't really understand your assessment.

btw, if we were having a discussion about iconic songs of past eras, so many of my picks wouldn't be talking about newsworthy events but just the experience of being alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    The situation is not helped by the draconian commercialization of the music industry as a whole either. There are no risks taken in the mainstream, they're not allowed, and all music is boiled down to a common denominator for the masses. If this were the 80's we'd already have about a dozen popular singers/bands taking shots at Donald Trump. If it were the 60's the biggest people would be fearlessly singing about violence in the middle east and so on.
    while there's truth to this, when was commercial pop music never not meant to appeal to "the masses"? there was always that aspect of having to sell. and while i agree that that can be stifling for art, the examples where innovation occurred regardless come to my mind first.

artists refusing to get political or speak to "broader issues" is definitely a thing, but the stuff they talk about instead won't be zapped from history.

being overtly political isn't a requirement of being remembered, either.

maybe the tendency to not take risks with one's message, when "the masses" is one's audience, will be remembered as a defining part of this era.

+ i'm sure the social/political landscape of the 60s (for instance) was really different from today's. 60s liberals were anti-war, today's liberals are not.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-30-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    2000s was all about system of a down, limp bizkit, korn, u know nu metal, it was everywhere, that perfect soundtrack for an american pie or i know what you did last summer
    2010s awful stuff, indie bands dressing like graphic designers, pop singers, pop-reggaeton, awful just awful

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP