Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Era-defining music from 2000 to now

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Lol. You're the one who came in here agitated saying that 90% of everything posted here was shit, no one asked you to be, and you're ironically the one trotting out the trite cop-out of musical taste being "subjective" -- if you actually feel that way then why would you come in here saying such drivel in the first place?

Until you're demonstrating some kind of rational consistency, I'm just going to operate under the assumption that you're a racist hypocrite.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    just to be clear about this, if you're posting music from personal preference (what you hope will be remembered), you're probably missing the point of the thread.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    this is an example of a song i think wonít be remembered tbh. it had its moment and was super annoying but i havenít heard it played or referenced in at least a decade (it feels like).
    plus with the internet being an archive of everything that ever happens and super accessible (don't take that for granted) we're now experiencing the past, present and future on one plane, which explains the past-future hybrid thing going on (what appears like the absence of our era's "unique sound").

That's the future and shit
    The number 2 song on billboard right now has some of this 50s vibe as well.

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Here's my prediction for how this "era" will be remembered:

Obviously, hip hop is the dominant paradigm of music in the world today, and it's been that way for quite awhile now. When we look back on the evolution of hip hop, we'll remember it's early pioneers, it's growth to swallow black culture entirely and what that projected to the rest of society/the world, it's global adoption and domestic US expansion to take over pop music (roughly the mini-era we're in the twilight of), and what I suspect is next will be the transition to hip hop taking over and transforming all other musical forms - until at some point hip hop will be synonymous with music itself, and all active genres of music will just be sub-genres (with accompanying subcultures) of hip hop.

Why does hip hop have such an infective, viral quality?

The core underlying creative methodology of hip hop is what we refer to as "remix culture", which we've all engaged in at some point in our youth through "collage". I'm not about to write out a huge ass paper explaining all of this to you, because that's what the topic truly deserves in order to be well understood, but I will make this one point: when we say that a work is "derivative" here, we absolutely don't mean that it's bad, or that it's less artistic, or less creative, nor do we mean to disparage it in any way ... In fact, it's quite the opposite. Either way, I still haven't answered the question ...

If you're a science minded person, you can think of the derivational nature of hip-hop in a more biological way. All of the remixing, sampling, and creative collaboration (a dozen or more people might be involved in writing a single song, never-mind actually producing it) can be thought of as a convergence of a broad diversity of genetic material to be rapidly spliced, evaluated, respliced, repeat ad nauseam with sprinkles of mutation on top. It accelerates an evolutionary process, for a singular entity. The more previous works incorporated and the higher number of creative minds involved serves to create something more likely to have the artistic equivalent of "genetic resilience" -- in population genetics, the more diverse gene pool is more likely to survive, this is also true in various ways for individuals. The inevitable result is the musical "creep" that we've seen with hip hop - it's everywhere now, all over the world, in all genres, even country music. In the future, it might be hard for people to imagine thinking of art and creativity as anything other than a collaborative effort, the more the merrier, simply because it's capable of producing far superior results.

And, well, there goes my explanation for why I think songs like "All of the Lights" will serve to epitomize our current era. I thought the song was okay when it first came out, then I forgot about about it, and then I came back to it years later because as a boxing fan, I noticed not one but multiple, non-American boxers insisting on it being their ring intro ... I couldn't help but wonder why. Then I listened to it again, couldn't get it out of my head all over again, and then read about the truly unique (perhaps not so unique for West) nature of it's production.

It's also quite telling that perhaps the greatest single artist of this era so far - Andre 3000 - never made a solo album, and that some of his most memorable work is just him hopping onto someone else's remix for a single verse.
    While it is easy to forget in today's celebrity-diseased culture, most often music has been seen as a collaborative effort. Hip hop is not unique that way. Its persistence and popularity has more to do with its common use of not new, but traditional modes of expression, for example Ghanaian hiplife, in which the medium is suffused with moral lessons and proverbial speech. Moreover it is simplistic to describe hip hop as a one-directional expansion from the US, due to its Afrocentric roots in terms of politics and rhythm (clave).

Table Cloth Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    personally, adele bores the fuck out of me, but i think this song will be considered one of those.

(i like this song, though.)
    Adele sucks, but that song defines an era of Neon Trees, and counting stars. I feel like her other stuff, like does she even think it's good? Haha.
    I forget but I donít forgive

Type
    INTP
    Movies most of us have seen, amirite?

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Movies most of us have seen, amirite?
    Right.

Enya’s music is most definitely memorable.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.