Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Music

Type
    INTP
    ^ Yes to Frankie Lymon. <3

I could only make it through a few minutes of Heilung. I liked the idea of it, but a band like Garmarna is more to my taste.

Love'n this thread. Not to say I don't like some stuff in the other thread too... but this thread is my cup.

I have listened to Anastasia Kobekina's performance of this a million times now.

LOL - make that 1 million and one. Where was I? How can anyone possibly not get pulled into this one?

Garmarna? Will try.
    Last edited by stigmatica; 12-01-2017 at 04:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INXj
    This kind of music will trigger your fight or flight hormone you'll shit glitter.

Siriusly Black.

@TeresaJ - I like the style, but I have to say I much prefer Heilung. Garmarna was a bit off the timing, the lead singer wasn't as good (OK, I just fell in love with the Heilung female lead for no reason, so I'm bias), and they didn't have the fusion with metal/Mongolian going for them... which I liked a lot. Heilung told a story, Garmarna was more disjoint. Both were a little repetitive, but nothing compared to most modern music so whatevs.

Of course, the recording was an audience recording on Garmarna which didn't help things. I see Garmarna as Heilung minus some of the time Heilung put into it? Heilung left me in a state of meditation, Heilung kept making me think about things that could be improved? I don't know. lol

BUT I liked where it was trying to go. I'm an ass, in retrospect here... but I'll post anyway.

Edit: Listening again. It's the modern drum kit that really ruins it for me. Every symbol crash pulls me out.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    @TeresaJ - I like the style, but I have to say I much prefer Heilung. Garmarna was a bit off the timing, the lead singer wasn't as good (OK, I just fell in love with the Heilung female lead for no reason, so I'm bias), and they didn't have the fusion with metal/Mongolian going for them... which I liked a lot. Heilung told a story, Garmarna was more disjoint. Both were a little repetitive, but nothing compared to most modern music so whatevs.

Of course, the recording was an audience recording on Garmarna which didn't help things. I see Garmarna as Heilung minus some of the time Heilung put into it? Heilung left me in a state of meditation, Heilung kept making me think about things that could be improved? I don't know. lol

BUT I liked where it was trying to go. I'm an ass, in retrospect here... but I'll post anyway.
    That's cool. I don't even listen to Garmarna much anymore, not since my early 20s. I just thought of them since I wanted to like all the grumbly shout-chanting of Heilung, but it just wasnt doing anything for me.

Continued: it also reminds me of when I was like 8 years old and I went to Disney world and they had some sort of nordic boat ride. I thought it was really cool. Later in high school when we read Beowulf I remembered that boat ride and thought an interactive storytelling of Beowulf in that style would be really, really cool.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    IXTP

Type
    INTP
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    That's cool. I don't even listen to Garmarna much anymore, not since my early 20s. I just thought of them since I wanted to like all the grumbly shout-chanting of Heilung, but it just wasnt doing anything for me.

Continued: it also reminds me of when I was like 8 years old and I went to Disney world and they had some sort of nordic boat ride. I thought it was really cool. Later in high school when we read Beowulf I remembered that boat ride and thought an interactive storytelling of Beowulf in that style would be really, really cool.
    It makes me want to grow a beard, kill an Elk with my bare hands, skin it and make a warm blanket out of the skin. Also makes me think about tribalism, war, racism, nature, instinct vs intellect, how women and men are perceived culturally across the world and throughout time, how art reflects politics, the counting required to "get it right" on some of the longer coordinated drum rhythms, how people perceive music, the importance of drum beats in music for some vs others, is there a message they're trying to portray? Is it working? The irony of the modern stainless screws holding the antlers on in decorations, do the members of this band have odd beliefs... religion and the nature of it, the power of it when focused, the danger of it. Basically, what I'm saying here is I'm nuts.

@Lilith = That's a great peace to listen to when I've got a cold and I'm wimping out. Reminds you that life isn't about how you feel, but what you do.

Type
    INTP
    Also did they actually perform ritual austerities and/or sacrifices in the days leading up to their performance? I would be disappointed if they hadn't.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    It makes me want to grow a beard, kill an Elk with my bare hands, skin it and make a warm blanket out of the skin. Also makes me think about tribalism, war, racism, nature, instinct vs intellect, how women and men are perceived culturally across the world and throughout time, how art reflects politics, the counting required to "get it right" on some of the longer coordinated drum rhythms, how people perceive music, the importance of drum beats in music for some vs others, is there a message they're trying to portray? Is it working? The irony of the modern stainless screws holding the antlers on in decorations, do the members of this band have odd beliefs... religion and the nature of it, the power of it when focused, the danger of it. Basically, what I'm saying here is I'm nuts.
    YES! To all of this. It reaches into my modern primitive soul and says "You are not alone". And I believe it.

@Lilith, Two Steps From Hell comprises a nontrivial part of my biking music. It makes climbing hills feel like a real accomplishment, even if it's the same hill I climbed the day before. That specific song is great for the steep ones. It matches my effort level.

(Hah. I just realized I echoed stig's sentiments again.)
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)