Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the attack on introverts

Type
    INTP
    There are more than 7 billion people in this world and you can't find any to give you a reference? It doesn't sound like you're trying very hard. I have social anxiety like a motherfucker but it's just one of those things you have to deal with to get anything done. Can you just pay some random south asian people to impersonate your profs? Nobody ever checks these things anyway.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    it's jumping through a hoop. you just gotta suck it up and do it. write a list of what you've done and prepare some explanations for why those things are valuable. update your CV, bring that and refer to it.

introverts tend to pay more attention to detail, so sell that part a little. talk about the stuff that goes overlooked that you've done.

think about people who find this part really easy, who are a lot shittier at detail and doing the actual work. yeah, it's not fair, but this is your chance to get some recognition.

communicate. you can't expect people to remember you or know what you've done. they probably get a lot of requests.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

I always just asked through email to people who preferred to talk through email. It was still embarrassing.

Type
    ISFP
    References to get jobs? This is a bit new to me.
    I never had to give any reference for any job ever. Tho i did get corporative letters (some form of reference thing) on those companies I worked for as a standard gift for when you end your work. I mean. Tbh not all of them gave me. But I believe at least here it is kind of common that you do get them.
    Now that I think I believe one time I had to fill a paper with my personal info and they did ask for a contact. I gave the email of my last boss with whom I had a friendly relationship. So I dunno.
    When I took interviews in Lithuania (2) they did not ask me for references n?either.

If I were you I would contact someone who's working at anything and explain your situation so they write something. I guess that's better than nothing.

Type
    intp
    I had this dilemma a few months ago and felt similarly pissed off about having to do it. I didn't really want to have to bother people about it. In my mind, once you move on from a job, I think you should sort of be done there, and especially people you knew back then shouldn't have to be bugged by this stuff - we've all moved on, surely. But in the end I just contacted some old mentors/etc and they gave me a pretty sweet reference. Now I think I was just overreacting a bit. Contact some people and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you don't get accepted. You might get points for being 'awkward and weird' or whatever you're saying, if it's some kind of academic/research thing. Maybe that's part of the demographic they look for.

Type
    INTP
    Would something like this help?
    https://www.riipen.io/challenges

basically challenges/tests to submit to potential employers looking for exceptional hires. AFAIK, you get feedback with every challenge you submit, too...a skills assessment or something.

I know one of the founders of the site, and mentioned this thread to him...very interested in feedback, if you have any. They're really trying to address this problem and others that make it tough for exceptionally capable people to connect with good jobs.

It also allows you to apply for jobs that aren't specifically in your field...and according to my contact, that's partly the point...so, say, a philosophy major might connect with a marketing firm or something...people who can apply their skills in unique/innovative ways are their faves.
    Last edited by Robcore; 12-02-2017 at 05:52 AM.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    iNtP
    I have given references and interviewed quite a number of people and I wouldn't get too hung up on them. for me they mostly they fall into 3 categories - outstanding, normal or avoid. dont get referees who will put you in the last category.

The interview holds much more weight than any reference and having two references is standard in Australia.

you sound young, and in which case I would recommend that every job you finish, or any task you do ask for a written reference, or better yet have one written and have your boss or whatever sign it. also ask that if you may use them as a reference in the future. Again this is quite common in australia.

As for your perceived attack, channel the anger into something constructive.look at the canvas which is the world and the people in it and work out your game plan. Your perception and forethought are not gifts of the majority.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    added content of this post to previous post.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INFJ
    Try to think of your early employment as gladiator school

Have you ever seen the film 'spartacus'? The old kubrick one from the 1960's...it's brilliant

Spartacus starts out as a slave working in a quarry (your school) getting kicked about by the romans (your teachers and the system), but one day he's selected to be taken to gladiator school (your first job out of education)

They train him there to be a killer (that's you learning how to do your first job and building up a roller deck of contacts) and then one day he snaps and drowns his gaffer in a bowl of soup leading to a revolt (that's you handing in your notice to your first job)

Then he lives wild out in the hills of italy enjoying the good life (that's you starting your first business using what you've learned and the contacts you've gained in your first job). he's his own boss and free to do, act and think how he likes

Just try not to focus too much on how the film ends and instead realise that to become free you first have to go through gladiator school. You will suffer hardships, indignities and injustices. Take them on the chin knowing that one day when you are strong enough you will drown your boss in a vat of boiling soup.....not literally of course...metaphorically in that you will hand in your notice and break out to be your own boss