Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elsagate

Type
    INTP

Elsagate

I just found out about this whole "Elsagate" thing, and I have no idea what to think. Apparently I'm late to the show and YouTube is already trying really hard to get rid of this stuff, but there is still plenty to be found. So many videos of spiderman and elsa pooping and peeing on each other... what a time to be a kid. It looks like they are just churning this stuff out and apparently kids like it and they make money. Lots of these are pregnancy-related or involve going to the doctor, and of course there is a ton of toilet humor. It seems like the kinds of scenarios very young kids might make up while playing with toys, it's just weird that they are being acted out by adults in crappy costumes with low-budget effects. But there are videos with sexual themes too... it's weird.
    Stuff like this:
    Video description: "sex, for kids, disney, spongebob, captain, at school, birthday, baby, funny, anna, superman, full episodes, videos, toys, police, bad baby, kids, elsa spiderman, kids video, parody, spider-man, new episodes, batman, number, elsa and spiderman, pranks, superhero, spiderman, elsa, prank, class, "
    ...wtf?

Does anybody here have kids who have gotten into this? Is this some kind of russian conspiracy to corrupt our precious children? Why are Elsa and Spiderman in particular such popular characters? Please explain this to me, INTPcomplex

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    They should make a Taylor swift one where she's like Oooo.
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    One more reason why I will never give my kid a smart phone.

I also like the idea, when the kid is old enough to get on the internet but not old enough to outsmart me, of being very open about the fact that I will be checking his browser history as a matter of course. I'll try to make it friendly and open rather than overbearing, giving him less reason to rebel.

Oh and keep the router in a secure place and turn it off when I go to bed, so the kiddo (adolescent by this point) can't wake up and get on the computer in the middle of the night. (Which I did when I was a kid.)

I know a lot of parents just use the internet as a babysitter with little to no supervision of what their kids do, so none of this surprises me. I don't know what's in these videos. I'm sure its not good but I'd be much more concerned about actual child abuse, neglect, malnutrition, lack of socializing, etc, than the videos per se.

Type
    InTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Does anybody here have kids who have gotten into this? Is this some kind of russian conspiracy to corrupt our precious children? Why are Elsa and Spiderman in particular such popular characters? Please explain this to me, INTPcomplex
    Its not a conspiracy, just the logical conclusion of the monetary rewards doled out by algorithms working exactly as planned. Kid's youtube reveals the inherent exploitation that occurs in the search based systems of youtube and the ad backed internet. The users (children) can't discriminate on what they consume, the youtube algorithms don't care as long as they watch, and the creators follow the monetary rewards described to them in the world salad search rankings. No malicious motivations needed, machines have just figured out that disturbing children gets a lot of ad impressions.

Highly recommend this article!
    https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

aka HappyNoodleBoy

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LowIQLogan View Post
    Its not a conspiracy, just the logical conclusion of the monetary rewards doled out by algorithms working exactly as planned. Kid's youtube reveals the inherent exploitation that occurs in the search based systems of youtube and the ad backed internet. The users (children) can't discriminate on what they consume, the youtube algorithms don't care as long as they watch, and the creators follow the monetary rewards described to them in the world salad search rankings. No malicious motivations needed, machines have just figured out that disturbing children gets a lot of ad impressions.

Highly recommend this article!
    https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2
    Wow. Great article. Quote that really stood out to me:
    (Yes, this is the exact same process as the delamination of trusted news media on Facebook feeds and in Google results that is currently wreaking such havoc on our cognitive and political systems and I am not going to explicitly explore that relationship further here, but it is obviously deeply significant.)
    The last paragraph brings that home again: this isn't just about kids and youtube, it's about all of these content-distribution/ad-serving platforms, and it affects all of us.

Type
    INFP
    I've heard about this for a while. Here's a good 'for dummies' breakdown for those of us who don't want to read anything (possibly NSFW):

It's the numbers of views and subscribers that's really astounding to me. There's no way Google was ignorant of this.

"What the fuck is wrong with people?" QFT

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Enh. Kids laugh at scatological jokes and slapstick. Children's films have contained innuendo and sex jokes for adults for ages. This isn't a monstrous event, it's just accessibility making weekend monstrosities available and proving that The Stooges actually were brilliant because their weekend shorts were usually funny and reasonably polished.

This is not an apocalypse. It's the same shit, different vector.

Do you people even remember the abominable things kids talked about when you were kids? I do.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    InTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Enh. Kids laugh at scatological jokes and slapstick. Children's films have contained innuendo and sex jokes for adults for ages. This isn't a monstrous event, it's just accessibility making weekend monstrosities available and proving that The Stooges actually were brilliant because their weekend shorts were usually funny and reasonably polished.

This is not an apocalypse. It's the same shit, different vector.

Do you people even remember the abominable things kids talked about when you were kids? I do.
    This isn't about kids having access to adult content or censorship. Thinking about this issue as just another form of "think of the children" argument isn't grasping the entire problem. Its about a system that is automated, operated at massive scale, and has no meaningful human oversight. Its fundamentally different to the way things were when you were a kid.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

aka HappyNoodleBoy

Type
    INTP
    Your missing the point, but that's because there are multiple arguments taking place about the same thing. One argument is about what the content is. Another argument is about why the content is. Another is about gaming monetization. Yet another is about the lack of a curation.

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQLogan View Post
    This isn't about kids having access to adult content or censorship. Thinking about this issue as just another form of "think of the children" argument isn't grasping the entire problem. Its about a system that is automated, operated at massive scale, and has no meaningful human oversight. Its fundamentally different to the way things were when you were a kid.
    I like the way you worded this because it segues into the next part of my rant: this is people bitching that they have to watch their goddam kids because Google isn't curating shit for them. That's the only part that is fundamentally different from when I was a kid, because to some degree TV was curated. That and accessibility to get their shitfest published to a wide audience. But that problem has been going on for generations. For generations parents have been smashing their head on the need to watch their kids and this is just the current iteration of not getting it.

I'm not saying that there isn't system gaming going on to create this. I'm not saying clickbait isn't a thing or a logical consequence of how our present media system works. I'm saying the only reason it's a problem is because people are looking for an easy way out of watching their kids and curating their child's childhood experiences.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)