Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Elsagate

Type
    INTP
    @oxyjen, YouTube already is moving to paid subscriptions. YouTube Red is the mugging for an ad free experience, and they've also been marketing YouTube TV, a $35 a month subscription service aimed at competing with cable and hulu.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    @oxyjen, YouTube already is moving to paid subscriptions. YouTube Red is the mugging for an ad free experience, and they've also been marketing YouTube TV, a $35 a month subscription service aimed at competing with cable and hulu.
    Yes, that's correct. It doesn't have anything to do with parents choosing between free YouTube kid's app, or having to choose between paid curation and a free "free-for-all."

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Okay. You're talking about creating a TV network. Have fun competing with Disney. YouTube isn't competing with Disney because it is a fundamentally different type of service. Those fundamental differences are what makes YouTube popular. If you read the thread you'll see that this has been discussed.
    How on earth is removing spam/garbage creating a TV network? A TV network must solicit and/or produce content. I'm pretty sure a vetted version of YouTube kids would have plenty of content providers who would happily post their stuff under the "rules" in the same manner they do today. I'm just suggesting YouTube place a barrier to entry for the ultra low cost content producer. Doing so would not fundamentally alter the framework of YouTube kids.

You're stubbornly refusing to accept the difference in target markets. That article you like points out that kids aren't participating in comments. Possibly because a lot of the people we're talking about being targetted with Elsagate videos aren't literate.

52000 hours may be a tiny portion of what is on YouTube, but that's the point. Even your solution is about winnowing the total content down to a tiny portion of what is available, but you keep talking like doing that is a terrible thing unless it's done by machine. That's absurd.

52000 hours is also more content than any toddler is going to see while still a toddler, and that's just from one year of such service.

Another conflation of toddlers with adolescents and adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    How on earth is removing spam/garbage creating a TV network? A TV network must solicit and/or produce content. I'm pretty sure a vetted version of YouTube kids would have plenty of content providers who would happily post their stuff under the "rules" in the same manner they do today. I'm just suggesting YouTube place a barrier to entry for the ultra low cost content producer. Doing so would not fundamentally alter the framework of YouTube kids.
    Ask yourself this. Why does your solution involve YouTube at all? Why doesn't Google just contact the owners of the 100 most popular kid-oriented channels and hire them directly to produce content for a new service? This would be much more efficient than hiring people to scour some random sliver of a percentage of YouTube to find videos that would be okay. That's a better way to solve the problem you two are trying to solve, which is to provide passive entertainment for kids.

If your solution doesn't involve YouTube, maybe consider that it's beside the point of what "YouTube Kids" is supposed to be, and there is a reason Google is doing it the way they are doing it and not the way you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by quoting myself again
    That solution does not meet the requirements of the problem. The problem is not just to provide passive entertainment for children. The problem is to take a platform that is popular because it distributes user-generated content with a very low barrier to publishing and filter out specific types of content..
    "YouTube Kids" is supposed to be YouTube but for kids. You guys are doing a great job with the "for kids" part, but it still needs to be YouTube.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    "YouTube Kids" is supposed to be YouTube but for kids. You guys are doing a great job with the "for kids" part, but it still needs to be YouTube.
    I think here is one point where we disagree. I don't think Youtube kids needs to be a site where you can just post any old thing you want. And I don't think youtube kids needs to be a place where kids need to be able to post their own content (like videos of themselves singing and dancing or what not). I think the wider youtube absolutely has to be a place for this. Youtube kids should just be a safe space for content that will entertain kids. And it shouldn't need a massive volume of content, so vetting is completely reasonable from an economic standpoint. Beats me why youtube doesn't do it.

I think an ad driven revenue model is still the best way for content hoster's to proceed. No financial risk. People work for free and take their chances people will watch so they can make ad revenue. That is why google doesn't hire content producers. That would be creating a TV network as you like to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Beats me why youtube doesn't do it.
    Because that market is saturated with traditional media, and that approach leverages none of the advantages that a platform like youtube has over traditional media.

Type
    INTP
    I wonder if a comparison to wikipedia would be relevant.

Type
    IXTP
    Another conflation of toddlers with adolescents and adults.
    Are you saying China is governed by toddlers?

Anyhow, toddlers are too dumb to make sense of inappropriate content. Did you know that dogs are approximately as intelligent as two or three year olds? Perhaps we should curate youtube for our pets too so that they won't be disturbed by the sight of owners frightening their cats by placing cucumbers in front of them.

Older kids of course can understand and be disturbed by youtube creepers. But older kids are also, no doubt, more tech savvy than their parents and are frequently motivated to circumvent censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Older kids of course can understand and be disturbed by youtube creepers. But older kids are also, no doubt, more tech savvy than their parents and are frequently motivated to circumvent censorship.
    This is exactly why it's important to deliver what kids actually want, which for the majority I'm assuming is not the disturbing stuff. It's basically the same problem they have with all of youtube, except that with adults we're expected to have the judgment to just close it and move on, and not be sensitive enough to be traumatized.

I think YouTube Kids is aimed at younger kids. Their two age options are "preschool" and "school aged". Preschool kids might watch whatever is put in front of them, but a little older and they will have more specific desires. If they're not satisfied they'll wade into the deeper waters of regular youtube, and there is stuff there that traumatizes me.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Children under the age of 10 shouldn't be allowed to watch YouTube.

Problem solved.