Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You call yourself a nerd?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

You call yourself a nerd?

What have you done on the internet besides using a browser to google stuff?

I've used:
    telnet- only briefly for experiments
    usenet- I used this to advertise my mp3 server
    ftp- the protocol I used for my mp3 server

I've coded in 15 languages- more or less
    I've built robots out of crap
    I have 3 youtube channels and an ebook
    I have 28 android apps and 20 blackberry apps
    I also used to have my own forum years ago- one can see remnants of it on the net
    I think I've owned 20 or 30 domain names. Heck, I own 8 of them right now!

And I learned on the internet(but not through google) how to:
    tile a floor
    build a brick wall
    countless other real world things
    make the internet my bitch

Do you DO anything?? Or are you just talk?

Toot your horn here, nerds.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've created at least three web apps. I wouldn't want to learn 15 languages. I'd have ideas that I want to implement and wouldn't want to learn more.

I was called a nerd a few weeks ago by the court officer on jury duty when he heard that I offered my pads and pens from my bag when another juror requested to take notes. I was considering making the same request.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    iNtP
    A good amount of experience with all the common internet protocols FTP, tcp, udp, Icmp etc etc

Accomplished many challenging manual mimicking of internet protocols. Fluent in Socks protocol and developed many tcp to socks tunneling of various other internet layers.

Used the internet to delve into Linux/unix for which I now find myself appreciating the open community and supporting them more.

Objective c/python few others

Some iPhone apps

Hosted websites

Much other stuff

My real world stuff away from the computer could not be any further away from geekiness.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    ISFP
    I think so. Internet is my second home. I notice it when I interact with other people. Not in the sense of being a nerd programmer tho.
    I easily spend around 8 hours per day on PC. Maybe more when I was working. Even now in my free time I'm taking courses and learning from different platforms. So for me it is a kind of pleasant work.
    I have learnt music production all by YouTube. Photoshop, illustrator and other 3d software by YouTube and behance / skillshare.
    And well i have 3 EPs from my band in several music sites.
    Also i use social media for promoting my music and art, specially on Instagram.
    I also manage to pirate Wii and ps2 so I could download isos and burn DVDs to play for free, which BTW takes longer than it may seem. And in ps2 case it is a physical thing, not only doing all the shit to install the homebrew.
    I would like to create a blog but I dunno how I feel about communicating in that way to people. Because for that I already have forums. I can write threads and so on.
    I have thought of making livestreams in where I mix songs and stuff but I can't find time for everything. It would be cool perhaps.
    Ehm I also installed the online shop for a small store I was working on some years ago.

So how much you earn from those apps you have on store? Is it easy to get some money there? Like how much you think I could earn by making a really simple app?

Type
    INTP
    telnet? It's 2017, nobody should be using that. I use ssh and sftp all the time for school. Get with the times man

I took a robot's brain and put together a custom media center pc based on minimal debian. It's playing music through my good speakers while I type this on my desktop.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    is 600+ subscribers on youtube a lot?

only for a channel that hasn’t posted anything new in several years...? :/

(i’m not very internet-nerdy compared to you guys)
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by PureViolence View Post
    So how much you earn from those apps you have on store? Is it easy to get some money there? Like how much you think I could earn by making a really simple app?
    I've made about $5k from my apps. Mostly they get lost on the sea of apps. I forgot that I have 2 blogs and both of the try to promote my apps. My users are sharply divided- either they love them or hate them so I average in the middle. See here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=afv.seu

Most of the money I made was when Blackberry needed apps and hosted port-a-thons(write and submit as many apps as you can in 72 hours) for bringing android apps into blackberry. I participated in all five of them and submitted 30 apps. Consequently most of them are not great quality. They gave me 2 tablets, 3 phones, and three thousand dollars.

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I've made about $5k from my apps. Mostly they get lost on the sea of apps. I forgot that I have 2 blogs and both of the try to promote my apps. My users are sharply divided- either they love them or hate them so I average in the middle. See here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=afv.seu

Most of the money I made was when Blackberry needed apps and hosted port-a-thons(write and submit as many apps as you can in 72 hours) for bringing android apps into blackberry. I participated in all five of them and submitted 30 apps. Consequently most of them are not great quality. They gave me 2 tablets, 3 phones, and three thousand dollars.
    haha, funny to see latin american people commenting your game, yeah i see a huge division but you know, it's expectable so whatever...
    so you think if i create a useless app, i don't know, like some weather app or something even less usefull i'll get some money? or will they'll be just cents?
    i'm asking cuz curiously, recently i recieved an email from distrokid with my earnings from august-october from my music on spotify and apple store, i just got 35 cents haha
    so i was wondering if it's the same case, i guess in apps it has to do with adversativing as well?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by PureViolence View Post
    haha, funny to see latin american people commenting your game, yeah i see a huge division but you know, it's expectable so whatever...
    so you think if i create a useless app, i don't know, like some weather app or something even less usefull i'll get some money? or will they'll be just cents?
    i'm asking cuz curiously, recently i recieved an email from distrokid with my earnings from august-october from my music on spotify and apple store, i just got 35 cents haha
    so i was wondering if it's the same case, i guess in apps it has to do with adversativing as well?
    People all over the world play my games. Ideally what you should do is create a web that funnels people to your assets. In your case you already have music published. If you make an app that sends people to your music, synergistic effect makes you do way better than just doing ads. Ads are a poor way of monetizing. It really just makes you a slave who produces content.

My YouTube channel has 44 times less subscribers than one of my competitors but I'm making what he is on his Patreon because my channel points to my book which is associated with my channel.

Type
    INFP
    Nerd is too loaded a term to for me to self-apply precisely because I'm tech unsavvy. Dweeb applies.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?